Pup Off Her Food.....

NoodleNut

Hi,

Just wanted to know if anyone has ever had a 6mth old pup go off their food? I am trying to work out if Noodle is just being downright fussy or what??

In short

Ate well after she was speyed three weeks ago.

Started not wanting her food about a week ago after stitches cam out .. needs lots of coaxing (my putting some on a spoon and holding up near her mouth ..she still doesn't eat 'heartily'/enjoyably' if you know what I mean) to eat it.

Does not eat three meals per day and I am feeding one at night to try and stimulate her apetite.... still needs lots of coaxing.

When I had her weighed at the vet last weekend she had put on a heap of weight (8.4 to 9.7kg in two weeks).

Feeding the same ... chicken mince mixed with dry Eagle Pack mixed with Advance Puppy. (refuses to eat kibble on its own.

Is eating dog biscuits (not keen on Eagle Pack biscuits but enjoys the Science Diet puppy biscuits)

Chews her normal hides etc.

Playing normally .. no change in her disposition.

ate some apple tonight and a bit of carrot .. still enjoying these.

She does not have a strong food drive at the best of times .. only grated cheese turns her 'on'.

The breeder is of the opinion that Noodle may have nearly reached her adult height (she is 14" and female Puli grow between 14" - 16.5") as she was on the small side.

So my questions are ..

Is she being incredibly fussy? If so, how do I respolve this? My thought is to bring out the bowl, put it down for 15 mintes and remove it and relace at lunch and same at dinner ... no coaxing. If I do this will I end up doing this for 48hours before she relents and eats?

Would her growth already becoming more stable have an impact on her eating (ie less needs?)

Any advice would be helpful.

post-16051-1214056515_thumb.jpg

Edited by NoodleNut

yep )

no spoon feeding! Or sympathy :laugh:

NORMAL food is put down- then taken away if not eaten.

No hides/treats until she is eating her normal food :laugh:

If after a couple of days she is still not eating- vet visit!

perhaps she is just not hungry, perhaps she was fussed over after her spey, and is looking for it to continue- perhaps she is unwell....

see how it goes .

Hope she is eating well soon!

yep )

no spoon feeding! Or sympathy ;)

NORMAL food is put down- then taken away if not eaten.

No hides/treats until she is eating her normal food :)

If after a couple of days she is still not eating- vet visit!

perhaps she is just not hungry, perhaps she was fussed over after her spey, and is looking for it to continue- perhaps she is unwell....

see how it goes .

Hope she is eating well soon!

Ahh,... looks like the 'tough love' approach is in order .. thanks guys .. see how I go .. no chews?!! Arghhhhh :rolleyes: :laugh: Well, if that is what it takes that is what it takes :)

PS: She wolfed down her midday meal so ... see what happens tonight ...... fuss pot! :(

Cut back her treats

Give her 2 meals a day

Leaving them down for 10 minutes and if she doesnt eat then she gets it fotr her next meal.

Hunta went through a stage where she would not eat for a bout 5 days

Tough love or she will keep you on your toes for the remainder ofher life.

Agree that she definitely does not need 3 meals a day, 2 is plenty and if she goes off her food again at a later date, think about cutting her down to one, or make her two meals much smaller.

Rather than chicken mince, try mixing her kibble with sardines. My guys love it like this and although I dont feed much kibble (I tend to treat it like fast food, they get raw most of the time), whenever they get it they get sardines on top or mixed in. Sardines are great for their coats too, as well as having omega 3 fatty acids.

Hi Noodle Nut :rolleyes:

Must be the name Noodle - ours is doing it too!! The last few days she has not been bothering emptying her Kong. The new thing I am doing is giving her a chicken wing - which I guess is a fairly decent meal in itself. Her Kong is stuffed with a chicken neck and her mince mixture. We have stopped giving her dry all together. I am not fussing about it and my guess is that her growth is slowing and she doesn't need so much.

Trish :laugh:

Hi Noodle Nut :laugh:

Must be the name Noodle - ours is doing it too!! The last few days she has not been bothering emptying her Kong. The new thing I am doing is giving her a chicken wing - which I guess is a fairly decent meal in itself. Her Kong is stuffed with a chicken neck and her mince mixture. We have stopped giving her dry all together. I am not fussing about it and my guess is that her growth is slowing and she doesn't need so much.

Trish :)

Hi Trish!! :( Yes, it must be the name Noodle!! I have gone off the chicken necks as she swallowed one whole!!! Nearly choked! Guts!! I will only give her one now if I have my eyes on her for the entire time she has it to make sure she chews it .. the frozen one Iwas giving her she would hide away in the backyard and it would resurface a lovely shade of black a few days later when teh Noo thought it was 'cooked' enough and to her liking :rolleyes:

Next time I am over your way we will have to get the Noodles together!!

Sounds like from all the postings cutting down to 2 or even one meal a day and doing what others have suggested and leaving it down only a short time is the way to go with her.

I like the idea of the sardines .. have to give that a go .. she is not keen on tuna .. been there and done that.

Noo' s coat seems to be changing ... I bathed her yesterday and her 'curls' are getting much tighter and the back end is getting a little 'fuzzy' ... looks like her cords are on their way .... arghhhh!! Hope this is going to be ok ... I am aware the next 12 months could be 'interesting'.

Have you had your Noodle's coat clipped yet? DIY or at a groomers? How did it go? (sorry, off topic .. you can PM if you like or whack it up here ... my thread :)

Karen

Just a note with the sardines - beware of fishy breath!! zOMG! :cheer:

Yeah! that did cross my mind .. better than poo breath though!! She used to eat her own faeces! Fortunately grown out of that little DISGUSTING habit! :eat:

Yeah! that did cross my mind .. better than poo breath though!! She used to eat her own faeces! Fortunately grown out of that little DISGUSTING habit! :cheer:

Oh LOVELY!! :eat: Jedi ate some duck poo today at the park... Thankfully he knows "give" (ie. spit that out of your mouth NOW!).

Yeah! that did cross my mind .. better than poo breath though!! She used to eat her own faeces! Fortunately grown out of that little DISGUSTING habit! :rofl:

Oh LOVELY!! :p Jedi ate some duck poo today at the park... Thankfully he knows "give" (ie. spit that out of your mouth NOW!).

That's pretty cruel!! Getting her to give up duck poo!! Delicacy!! Noodle LOVES the odd duck poo, rabbit droppings ... ooooohhh yummy ... lovely little appetizer!

Perhaps we need a thread on the worst thing your dog has eaten :eat:

Mind you ... I am impressed with your obedience training of Jedi :cheer: .. we just stick to giving the dumbell, ball or toys ... not her own half eaten poo!

Hi Karen!

Yep - she has had a few clips by now!! The breeder did a couple while she was a baby and since we have had her she has had 4. I haven't clipped her myself (yet) but plan to try in the future. She is still in the proper puppy trim and I don't want to ruin it yet!! We are going away for a couple of weeks in November and her coat will need to be clipped shorter then. At the moment I am having to brush her every day or 2 - don't think my brother will be too keen on that while we are away!!

She is quite good at chewing so haven't had the same issues with necks as you. I am in the process of switching over to totally raw so am just working out what to give her. Tried her on some fresh liver tonight :cheer: !!! She played with it a bit and spat it out twice - until our other dog came into the kitchen for some - she swallowed it pretty quickly then :eat: The dogs in this house LOVE sardines - mixed with their morning yoghurt!!! Yuck!!

We would LOVE to meet you when you are over this way again - let me know!

The trouble we are having at the moment is Noodle loving her Mummy a bit too much. She is developing a bit of seperation anxiety especially when we are out somewhere and I leave her with Steve and walk away - should hear the carry on. Time for Daddy to step up bit I think!!!

Trish :rofl: