When Does A Female Pup Come On Heat?

charlies_mum

i know this is probably a silly question and i should have asked the vey but we are picking up our new female chihuahau molly next friday and are looking at getting desexed as soon as possible. our breeder has said she wont be ready to be desexed until approx 6 months old. but i have been reading and does she need to have one "cycle" before she is desexed as i have read conflicting information. we do not want dogs jumping the fence to get to her and our 12 month old desexed male chihuahaua would this confuse him or would he just not know whats going on? we would prefer to have her desexed before this cycle if it is appropriate. any advice would be great. and when will she have her first cycle? cheers we are so excited to pick her up next friday!!!! :thumbsup:

It's best to have them desexed before having a cycle - less hassle for you, less risk of pregnancy among other things. There is conflicting information about how old a dog should be before getting it desexed, the general rule has always been around 6 months but heaps of breeders are now desexing before pups go to their new homes although with a small dog like yours that may be different. Hopefully someone else will jump on here and offer you some advice on whats best for your breed. Well done for being responsible and having her desexed!! :thumbsup:

It's best to have them desexed before having a cycle - less hassle for you, less risk of pregnancy among other things. There is conflicting information about how old a dog should be before getting it desexed, the general rule has always been around 6 months but heaps of breeders are now desexing before pups go to their new homes although with a small dog like yours that may be different. Hopefully someone else will jump on here and offer you some advice on whats best for your breed. Well done for being responsible and having her desexed!! :thumbsup:

thanks. for us getting her desexed wasnt even a question. before she even comes on heat would be best for us so we can be sure she will never get pregnant. we asked our breeder if she would desex her before we picked her up as we have to sign a desexing contract and we were even happy to pay for the operation but like you pointed out she is just too small to have such a large operation done so young. we get how small she is because when charlie (the male chi) was desexed in december he only needed 1 stitch!!!!!) :o

Hopefully someone else will jump on here and offer you some advice on whats best for your breed. Well done for being responsible and having her desexed!! :thumbsup:

Chihuahuas are just too small to get done any earlier than 5 months old, and yes better to get them desexed before they come into season as if they are in season, having a close relationship with our vet of 25yrs it is MESSY for the vet to operate on if she is in season. even if she is starting to come into season it will still be messy for the vet and you can tell she is going on by the vulva swelling up about one to two weeks before the actual season.

some dogs go into season at 6 months to 12-13 months as we have experienced. it depends on the dog as to when she will go into season. sometimes the first time takes a while sometimes not.

to answer the other questions: all male dogs will be able to smell her scent from the season a mile away. your male desexed dog will go crazy trying to get to her. i don't know if he will be confused they generally go on instinct alone.

yes, i have known dogs to jump fences and climb fences to get to a bitch in season so it is wise if you can't get her desexed before she gets her season to lock her up for approx. 3 weeks. a bitch can conceive pups from 5 days to 21 days into the season. been known.

PLUS, experienced this myself as have many other breeders in chihuahuas, they sometimes go on "silent" which means that you can't tell they are actually in season, they don't swell they dont' bleed they don't do anything and next thing you know they've mated the male.

Edited by toydogs

Hopefully someone else will jump on here and offer you some advice on whats best for your breed. Well done for being responsible and having her desexed!! :thumbsup:

to answer the other questions: all male dogs will be able to smell her scent from the season a mile away. your male desexed dog will go crazy trying to get to her. i don't know if he will be confused they generally go on instinct alone.

PLUS, experienced this myself as have many other breeders in chihuahuas, they sometimes go on "silent" which means that you can't tell they are actually in season, they don't swell they dont' bleed they don't do anything and next thing you know they've mated the male.

OMG!!!! well and truely convinced me. knowing our luck she will be one of those "silent" ones and we will end up with half great dane pups or something!! (has heart attack thinking of prospect.) do chis come on heat earlier than 5 months? becuase we will book her in on her 5th month birthday. i will talk to the vet when she goes in for her first checkup next saturday i cant wait to meet the little cutey who is already giving me grief :o

Sorry but my desexed males have NEVER gone crazy over a bitch in season - that is WHY people desex their males. I have even desexed a 10 year old and after that he could run with the girls all year round without any stress at all.

desexing has never curbed our males from getting the urge to mate. infact we have 2 adult males desexed at the moment, one was desexed at around 8 months and the other at 4 yrs. they tried to both mount a desexed female. others in the past: one was desexed at 2yrs old and he still had the urge to mate as well. infact he tied with a bitch not long after he was desexed. we did own a stud that was obtain at 4 and he had by that time sired pups, he was never desexed but he never went crazy over females chasing them. he never marked he was a perfect little angel that one.

so i guess it does depend on the dogs themselves as to how they react.

Your dog will come on heat at the exact time when you have : a holiday planned, visitors staying, a house inspection, are in bed sick with the flu... in short it will start at the time you least want it to! Well that has been my experience anyways :)

Your dog will come on heat at the exact time when you have : a holiday planned, visitors staying, a house inspection, are in bed sick with the flu... in short it will start at the time you least want it to! Well that has been my experience anyways

:) amen to that!!!!!!! :p :)

Edited by toydogs

do chis come on heat earlier than 5 months?

and.....no haven't known one to, at 5 months they are still babies really. when you get her have a good talk to your nominated vet they'll be able to give you the soundest advice. but it is a good idea to be quick about it, yes, you don't want any of those problems discribed in here with her season, i can tell you from experience, it is a nightmare especially when they are just pets and you have no intentions of breeding, can get a bit messy. :)

we took molly to the vet yesterday for a puppy checkup and the vet said we will have to wait and see how big she gets as she is only 600g now so the vet doesnt want to do her earlier than 6 months if she is so small so we will have to wait and see. the vet doesnt think it is a cause for too much concern as charlie is desexed but she understands why we dont want to run the risk of her ever having babies. thanks all for your help and comments

I recommend Charlie's-mum to have a look at the sub forums where we talk nothing but chihuahuas it might help you rather than putting questions to general breeds. I can tell you that 600grams is smallish, compare my little chihuahua boy that i bred who has just turned 9weeks on last Monday and he is 800 plus grams. it depends how old is your girl?

come into the sub forum headed "chihuahuas".......then you can talk about your new girl to your hearts content with other chihuahua lovers and owners.

cheers

Louisa

SANRITA CHIHUAHUAS