Vets All Natural

Do you think the Vets All Natural Complete Mix would be better than feeding a dry food seeing as it is a raw food. I've fed it before and I'm thinking about going back to feeding it again instead of Eagle Pack Holistic. The dogs do well on both but I'd rather feed a raw diet but I can't feed BARF patties anymore as Sophie got Pancreaitis on them.

Hi Tiggy,

As you've not had a response yet on your question, I thought I'd give an opinion.

Commercial food - dog biscuits - even one of the better ones such as Eagle Pack is cooked. It has some dehydrated meat product in it. On the other hand if you feed Vet's All Natural then you are adding fresh unprocessed meat as the main part of the meal. The Eagle Pack is dehydrated and so the dog needs to drink lots of water whereas the Vet's All Natural is rehydrated prior to feeding and the meat naturally has a high water content hence your dog won't need to drink anywhere near as much water. I feel feeding dehydrated food all the time surely places stress on the kidneys. If you are trying to work out what is most like natures option of feeding then certainly raw meat with Vet's All Natural mimics the wild more that commercial cooked food. A dogs digestive systgem is not designed for cooked food but certainly is for raw.

So the choice is yours. If you put down a bowl of Eagle Pack and next to it a bowl of raw meat mixed with some Vet's All Natural which do you think your dog would eat first?

Regarding BARF patties causing pancreatitis this seems unlikely, your dog was perhaps predisposed to getting it or it was perhaps from something else with very high fat content. If your dog gets pancreatitis you can feed the BARF kangaroo variety which is low in fat and a lot lower in calories than the other meat varieties.

Hooray I got a reply :D ! I've decided to feed them the Vets All Natural again instead of dry food. I'll mix it with fresh human grade mince and a bit of liver. Sophie(the one with Pancreatitis) can't stomach the Kangaroo BARF patties and the BARF patties have ground bone which is high in fat. I'm slowly introducing new foods to see what she can and cannot eat. She can't have different foods every day. I need to feed one thing and stick to it then slowly introduce something else. She's still going off her food but not throwing up anymore. She's very lean for a Staffy but I can't feed her fatty foods because they make her sick.

Edited by Tiggy

• 1 month later...

Get ready for poos full of undigested grains. Half of the product is wasted because it is undigestable.

Oh and if you want to see a Dogue de Bordeaux projectile vomit feed him VAN :)

I think you are better off feeding a good dry food or if you are desperate for raw get mince (dont forget a decent vitamin powder for the calcium) and boil up Aldi bags of vegetables and a little rice. More cost effective then VAN.

Papi Searcher if your pap is admittedly spoilt stop changing the food. Find one and stick to it, if he's getting thin then nutragel him. The further you persist with changing his food the worst he will be.

Edited by Nekhbet

A friend of mine has a Cocker with pancreatiis and the dog copes fine on low fat kibble.

Most minces are also high in fat - you might be going from the frying pan to the fire here unless you are feeding a low fat premium one. My friend feeds her dog chicken breast meat (no skin) with its veggies. If you buy lean human great meat from a butcher you should be able to get them to mince it for you so you know what's in the mince you are feeding. Blade steak might be a good option there.

Vets all Natural has a lot of grains - not all that beneficical for dogs.

Has anybody else had difficulty switching their cats to Complete Mix?

I have tried everything, even adding a beef stock cube to the mixture.

I have introduced it very slowly, and at the moment they are still only getting half the ration of Complete Mix mixed with chicken mince. And they will hardly touch it.

But the weird thing is, one of the cats goes crazy for it when it's dry (he will jump on the counter top and steal it from the container when I have it out to weigh it before adding water.) But once water is added, he won't touch it. I don't let him eat much of it dry, I don't know if it's very good for them before it's hydrated?

The cats are almost 9 years old and I'm wondering if they are just too old to change foods? They have mostly had canned cat food and kibble all their lives. But I really want to change them on to Complete Mix.

The dog on the other hand, he loves Complete Mix. He eats it plain and then I give him his chicken afterwards.

Edited by Blossom

"Regarding BARF patties causing pancreatitis this seems unlikely"

If feed the beef ones very possible.

In our breed pancreatitis is on the increase due to many trying BARF

Pancreatitis is linked to obesity. With an estimated 40% of Australian dogs now obese, I'd be looking at that also for any upward trend in pancreatitis.

You'd no doubt be aware that Miniature Schnauzers are noted as a breed predisposed to pancreatitis due to a breed related altered fat metabolism. If the dog is over weight, getting too much fat in its diet and has a metabolic disorder, then no matter what it is fed, this may be the result. The only dog I know with pancreatitis is not BARF fed.

Table scraps are one of the most common triggers for a pancreatitis bout. Witness the vets cages full of dogs suffering pancreatitis at Christmas from too many treats and ham scraps.

Edited by poodlefan

The dog on the other hand, he loves Complete Mix. He eats it plain and then I give him his chicken afterwards.

I can't believe your dog justs eats it straight! My pup just looked at it and ran away.... I could have cried.

My dog is 1/2 Lab.. but it did take him a bit to get used to it.

I started by mixing about 1/4 of his recommended amount in with his normal food (reducing his normal food accordingly) and at first he turned his nose up at it too. But when he realised he wouldn't be getting anything else, he did eat it eventually.

The next night, I did the same thing and he ate it a bit quicker.

The next night, I increased the amount of Complete Mix, and he accepted it.

It took about a week or a week and a half to gradually transfer him from his old dry food + raw meat, onto Complete Mix + raw meat. But yeah he eats it by itself now, he LOVES it and licks the bowl clean! The only thing I tend to do is, I add a bit more water than they recommend. I just find my dog prefers it that way.

How long did you try getting your dog to eat it for, and was it introduced gradually? Don't give up if you tried for under a week or two! Just add it in slowly.

Edited by Blossom

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my cats to like it!

I make patties out of mince and complete mix for them

It's great, they were on the thinner side before I put them on to complete mix, and have now plumped back up to what I would call a healthier weight.

Edited by Blossom