Chewing Tearing Rugs And Dog Beds

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop an 18mth old Labrador from chewing everything. She has plenty of chew toys but gets into mischief overnight she pulls and tears the mats on the trampoline dog beds so have had to take them away as we live in cold climate our older dog with shorter hair allways wears a dog coat in the winter but she pulls and tears that.I cant sleep them seperate and they are very close but she just wrecks everything.I have tried the bad tasting sprays on the things I dont want her to touch but it does not seem to deter her.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop an 18mth old Labrador from chewing everything. She has plenty of chew toys but gets into mischief overnight she pulls and tears the mats on the trampoline dog beds so have had to take them away as we live in cold climate our older dog with shorter hair allways wears a dog coat in the winter but she pulls and tears that.I cant sleep them seperate and they are very close but she just wrecks everything.I have tried the bad tasting sprays on the things I dont want her to touch but it does not seem to deter her.

Crate!

Hi 2RB,

I had the same problem with my kelpie, these type of breeds need plenty of mental stimulation. I found this worked with my kelpie. I put straw in his bed and I see that Bully and persephone sugest crate and paper bedding. These are all good, but try this:-

Go to Karen Pryor’s web site: www.clickertraining.com

There is a good article there called “How to teach a dog give: A Winning Recipe” by Leah Roberts. I know you will be thinking that this is not the answer, but keep an open mind and read the article. If you apply her recipe consistently you will eventually have a dog that will bring things to you and dropping them in your lap instead of chewing them up, or leave it when asked.

Crate training is good, as the others have suggested, for over night etc., or as a temporary measure until she hopefully grows out of it, (which doesnt always happen) but if you lock her up all the time she will be very bored and her behaviour will become worse. Sooner or later you will have to let her out and she will go crazy chewing everything in sight.

You also need a good selection of toys and change them everyday so that she doesn’t get bored with the same ones. Also labs are generally crazy about food so try things like hiding food around her yard. It will keep him busy finding them, also kongs are good value as they take ages to get all the food out and keeps them occupied for ages.

Good luck. JD

Hi 2RB,

I had the same problem with my kelpie, these type of breeds need plenty of mental stimulation. I found this worked with my kelpie. I put straw in his bed and I see that Bully and persephone sugest crate and paper bedding. These are all good, but try this:-

Go to Karen Pryor’s web site: www.clickertraining.com

There is a good article there called “How to teach a dog give: A Winning Recipe” by Leah Roberts. I know you will be thinking that this is not the answer, but keep an open mind and read the article. If you apply her recipe consistently you will eventually have a dog that will bring things to you and dropping them in your lap instead of chewing them up, or leave it when asked.

Crate training is good, as the others have suggested, for over night etc., or as a temporary measure until she hopefully grows out of it, (which doesnt always happen) but if you lock her up all the time she will be very bored and her behaviour will become worse. Sooner or later you will have to let her out and she will go crazy chewing everything in sight.

You also need a good selection of toys and change them everyday so that she doesn’t get bored with the same ones. Also labs are generally crazy about food so try things like hiding food around her yard. It will keep him busy finding them, also kongs are good value as they take ages to get all the food out and keeps them occupied for ages.

Good luck. JD

I forgot to add, plenty of exercise. If she is tired she is less likely to get up to mischief.

If they have a dog house and sleep in it together fill it in with straw, put A LOT in as it will compact really quickly.

It keeps the dogs warm, it doesnt get wet and dirty. Also put a doggy door (a flap thing) on the dog house to keep the temperature in and straw in.

The only drawback is that it might be all over your yard, but at the end of the day its only straw, a natural product that will disintegrate into environment with time.

Another big fan of straw here! I use bedding straw and each weekend I put the used straw in the compost & refresh. If you have a flea problem it can be difficult to control with straw, but generally I find their coats are clean and fresh smelling.

fifi

Mine don't get bedding outside for this reason :crazy: Kaos still chews bedding, and if outside I think he and Diesel would have a nice game of tug with it . . . Inside they have crates and Kaos only has old t-shirts and towels until he stops chewing, the others have blankets and fluffy things.

Another big fan of straw here! I use bedding straw and each weekend I put the used straw in the compost & refresh. If you have a flea problem it can be difficult to control with straw, but generally I find their coats are clean and fresh smelling.

fifi

When I was in Canada I a family that I stayed with used cedar shavings as dogs bedding in outdoor kennels....Fleas don't like cedar. If you can find a joinery that makes cedar windows and doors, they usually have a hopper full of shavings that they give away.....Back here in Aus we used to do a trip about twice a year and fill the ute with stock feed bags full of it.