Remedies For Joint Issues

B-Q

Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread so thought I would start this one.

As some of you know, Buster has mild HD on one side. I have him on glucosimine daily, gonna grab some fish oil and add that to his diet aswell. He's 5 and a half now and it doesn't really cause him any issues other than that he has never sat normally and occasionally he'll get a limp on it lasting anywhere from 5 minutes to a few hours and sometimes its very noticeable till one night last year I ended up carrying him to bed because he didn't want to get up, morning he was fine. Also a good chance he wouldve limped off to bed on his own but I took the chance to baby him for a second.

Wondering what else I might be able to give him to help him in the long term, not anything like painkillers, just maybe something that will help him strengthen up and to give him the best headstart I can before he ages and things get hard.

This time round we just grabbed a tub of glucosimine capsules, any specific brand I shoudl go for next time, or with fish oil, any specific brand I shoudl look out for?

And what other excercises can I do with him to help keep good muscle tone on his legs, I toned down his jumping in the backyard, we don't do it as much or as high as we used to, the vet said with Harry to trot him through shallow water to teach him to lift his legs instead of just swining them around, Harry's HD is severe but I imagine this would work for Buster aswell? Anything else

And the last question, anything imparticular that I maybe shoudl consider with his diet. Now he eats a small amount of dry (usually Orijen but I'm out atm) and raw.

Try and get a glucosamine with msm and chondroitin in it

There is a great product called natures own joint food. It is a powder and has those ingredients in it.

Also ester c tablets or powder can help with joint issues.

Good luck

My GSD girl has seemed quite a bit less stiff since I added Joint Guard & Green lipped mussel oil to her food. She has also had occasional courses of weekly Cartrophen injections (over 4 weeks) which I think have helped. It's hard to work out how much these things make a difference - but a lot of people in my local dog park have commented that they have never seen her look better or enjoying life more - so I think something must be working !

would it be worth strarting cartrophen this early? We use it with Sophie and give her a top up every few months once she starts loosing her vigour and it does wonders, tried it with Harry and had about zero change o didn't try again

would it be worth strarting cartrophen this early? We use it with Sophie and give her a top up every few months once she starts loosing her vigour and it does wonders, tried it with Harry and had about zero change o didn't try again

It's probably best to discuss this with your vet, he may recommend a course of injections and the frequency of the injections depends on the individual dog. Its effectiveness can also vary from dog to dog.

I just started my old fella on a liquid called Reflex that I found online at Vet Stop (where I buy my flea products) and it has glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM. My vet just said find a product with all three of these in it and I find the liquid is great because i feed dry food so it just goes straight onto it. All the other products i found were powder which i find irritating to give. I have only just started it recently but will let you know how it goes. I also bought this one as it is made in Australia.

I'm just looking at dried Green Lip muscle,anyone tried it?

I tried Sasha's Blend but it didn't seem to make any difference. Scarlett ended up having a total hip replacement last December (she was 22 months old) and it has worked a treat! Puts a HUGE hole in the bank balance though!

I have just started my Greyhound on Sascha's Blend - a friend gave me a container of it. Haven't noticed any difference yet (only been giving it a week) but OMG it STINKS!!!!!! I can't give it to him in the mornings cos it makes me want to :D Think I will be looking for something different!!!

Trish :rofl:

I have just started my Greyhound on Sascha's Blend - a friend gave me a container of it. Haven't noticed any difference yet (only been giving it a week) but OMG it STINKS!!!!!! I can't give it to him in the mornings cos it makes me want to :D Think I will be looking for something different!!!

Trish :rofl:

Joint Guard doesnt have a smell at all!!

I just tried feeding Billy his liquid straight in the bowl no food and he licked it straight up! Such a pig, it does have a slight smell like a beefy smell but its not too bad. I havent smelt Sashas Blend but this one seems ok.

Is Ester C a form of vitamin C? Is there any reason why you dont give Vitamin C to a dog? I thought an ester was a form of alcohol!