What Age Do Males 'lift There Leg'?

Jessca

Hmmmm....obviously somebody forgot to tell my MIL's dog that. He has NEVER been around another male dog (only boy in the litter and hasn't left her property since) and he has cocked his leg since about the age of 11 months.

ellz, I would bet that at some stage he has watched another dog and if absolutely not, then he may be a highly territorial dog, which is instinctual and has self taught in order to mark higher on the surfaces. But leg cocking itself, is NOT instinctual.

I can say he has absolutely and categorically NOT watched another dog as he has had no contact whatsoever with another male canine (or a leg-cocking female) from the day he was born.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL this is funny. I thought we had the only "sit down to go" male. Our 14 year old desexed male Cavalier has not once lifted his leg. He grew up with a female cav a year his senior so we always thought he learned it from her.... or it was a result of being desexed at a young age.

My wife jokes that at least there is one male in the house she doesnt have to yell at about leaving the seat up!!!! :thumbsup:

i had a good laugh cause our boxer never lifts his leg and he is almost 3 years....he has front feet forward and back feet back and away he goes....in fact we rescue doggies and foster them and he seems to teach all of them to pee and poop like he does....very funny to watch them watching him and then go and do it just like him.....hahahaha.

My black lab is a little over ten months and still does not lift his leg...i think its cute :)

My lab turns one in a few weeks time and he still pees like a girl, must admit i am not really complaining, it looks pretty cute... he doesn't do anything in public either when we go for walks or dog school which is a relief hahaha

Guest Tess32

Noah, who is almost 9 months and still entire, still isn't doing despite getting so up and close and personal with my desexed male doing it that he got sprayed in the face, hehe.

My black lab is a little over ten months and still does not lift his leg...i think its cute :D

My lab turns one in a few weeks time and he still pees like a girl, must admit i am not really complaining, it looks pretty cute... he doesn't do anything in public either when we go for walks or dog school which is a relief hahaha

this is what kiaser is like, he wont go anywhere in public, or anywhere but at home for that matter. i've spoken to a few behavourists but they dont know whats going on. i wouldn't mind (infact its a pretty good thing, no popper scooping) but it cant be good for him to hold on for so long.

what if we go away for the W/E?? then what will happen??

anyone got any suggestions on how make a dog, whos toilet shy, go in public??

he does go on command bu7t only at home, so he does no a command for it.