What Age Do Males 'lift There Leg'?

Jessca

Onsy is 3 1/2 and never lifted his leg - he wees like a horse! front legs forward, back legs back! :laugh: And he has had plenty to learn from - my little girl maltese (RIP) lifted her leg up all the time and my other male, Flash lifts his leg up. :cheer:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as you can see by the replies it depends on your dog.

usually around 12 mths of age is fairly normal for a male entire dog. if Kaiser has been desexed he may never lift his leg or he may eventually lift his leg.

Onsy is 3 1/2 and never lifted his leg - he wees like a horse! front legs forward, back legs back! :thumbsup:

My Basenji Boys pee like this too all year round apart from season time. The Hav's do too. A friend of mine had a pug that used to do hand stands to pee with both back legs in the air :rolleyes:

I had one American Cocker boy who used to squat or lift depending upon whether or not he was "dressed" for a show.

If he'd had a bath, he would carefully squat. If he was between baths, he'd merrily lift and spray everywhere! :thumbsup:

My Min Pin had no one to learn from but he learnt anyway. Doesn't have very good aim though. Most of the time I have to wash the front left paw *sigh* He's better on grass, he kinda half squats and doesn't get any legs wet thank goodness! :thumbsup:

It's definitely an instinctive thing. My first American Cocker boy didn't have any other boys around him but he still learned how to lift his leg.

I think it's probably something to do with making sure the scent is up high so that it can be picked up by the wind.

thanks guys for all your help,i got a laugh out of reading some of your respnoses, and i dont feel so bad now seeing Kaiser pee like a girl, but its probably the only time he stacks perfectly. :love:

thanks again. hopefully one day he may lift his leg......

My late Maltese x was the funniest. She did what we call handstand wees. She would literally lift both back legs off the ground and walk along weeing :clap:

For the males, does it depend on what age they are desexed? i.e. the earlier the less likely to cock their legs.

My first boy didn't lift untill he was 5 months old. My current boy is 4 months and hasn't lifted yet (touch wood). Frankly, i'd be happy if he never lifted :laugh: however he has kicked his scent around since 8 weeks. I'm not sure what's worse, peeing all over the car wheels or getting pee soaked grass kicked on your feet :clap:

My friend has a boy who is nearly 3 and has never lifted - ahh the joys :shhh:

Edited by aquaticmalamute

Leg cocking is not an instinctual behaviour, but rather a learned behaviour. It is not something all male dogs do and they need to observe another dog doing it before they attempt it themselves.

Some females leg cock as well to mark higher on the area, as do males.

There are many males who never have, and never will, cock their legs.

Have two males...

Scout started cocking his leg only recently and he's 2 years 4 months old...he still squats and dots on the concrete though.

Tye still squats and dots - no attempt what so ever to try and cock, he's only 1 year and 7 months old.

Leg cocking is not an instinctual behaviour, but rather a learned behaviour. It is not something all male dogs do and they need to observe another dog doing it before they attempt it themselves.

Some females leg cock as well to mark higher on the area, as do males.

There are many males who never have, and never will, cock their legs.

This is also what my vet told me yesterday when I took Duke, my 16 wk old puppy, for his vaccinations. Duke has been cocking his leg since he was 12 weeks old :( and now very rarely squats!

Hmmmm....obviously somebody forgot to tell my MIL's dog that. He has NEVER been around another male dog (only boy in the litter and hasn't left her property since) and he has cocked his leg since about the age of 11 months.

Hmmmm....obviously somebody forgot to tell my MIL's dog that. He has NEVER been around another male dog (only boy in the litter and hasn't left her property since) and he has cocked his leg since about the age of 11 months.

ellz, I would bet that at some stage he has watched another dog and if absolutely not, then he may be a highly territorial dog, which is instinctual and has self taught in order to mark higher on the surfaces. But leg cocking itself, is NOT instinctual.