What Age Do Males 'lift There Leg'?

Jessca

i was just wondering the average age a male starts to lift his led to pee.

Kaisers 10 months old and im just thinking when will he start to lift?

i know every dog is different but im just curious to know the average.

as he doesn't go to the toilet in public i has hoping if he started lifting his leg he wouldn;t hold it all day till we get home.

thanks for any help.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im no expert but charlie our chiahuahua starting lifting his leg around the 6 month old mark but he has only done it about 5 times. i think because he is so short he tends to only do it when we are out walking and he smells something interesting on a tree where a bigger dog has gone so he tries to get it up higher. other than that though he still squats. looks very dignified :)

Cody was about 8months old when he started. I saw Charlie semi-cock his for the first time ever the other day, he is 3 1/2! I'd be prepared to say it wasn't intentional as he was standing in a ditch at the time and could well have been falling :)

Edited by DeltaCharlie

I have had them start as young as 4 months and as old as 3 years. So there is no norm, it is whenever they start to sexually mature. So then you will get some who never cock their legs!

How long is a piece of string? :)

I've seen some that never do. I've also had a couple who will lift their leg if they are in the mood.

One of the more memorable boys only ever cocked his leg ONCE. He lifted it, weed all down the back of his front leg, looked at his leg and then me in absolute disgust and never tried it again! :D

Edited by ellz

I have had them start as young as 4 months and as old as 3 years. So there is no norm, it is whenever they start to sexually mature. So then you will get some who never cock their legs!

That reminds me of my Aunt as a child/teen -- she had a bassett hound when she was growing up who NEVER lifted his leg. My Aunt was so upset that her dog was not 'being a boy' that she would try and lift his leg for him! He passed away having never lifted his leg...

On the flip side however, I have not one, but TWO dominant bitches who only EVER cock their legs!!

I'm sure you can picture me, standing outside at pee-time in winter, rugged up against the cold, saying to the puppy boys...."there, look at your mother, that's what you need to do!" :cool:

:)

Benson started at about 14 months (he was neutered at 4 1/2 months) with the occasional leg-lift on a tree. The first time he did it, he looked at his leg in absolute amazement....it was like "What's that doing up THERE????"

Now he does it all the time outside, mostly on the trees we pass by on our walks. And he still hasn't quite come to terms with his leg having a mind of it's own.