Dumb Question About My Newish Canon

Kirislin

I bought a new Canon in March but have only just been able to transfer the pics to my computer (had to buy a new computer) . something I am not sure of with the CF card. Do I delete all the pics and then also have to reformat the card or is just deleting the pics all I have to do to start afresh with an empty card.

Simple explanations please, no jargon, I'm not too good at this.

Format.

Every time you 'delete', the image info is still retained. Bit by bit, the card builds up memory until it is full of useless info. (this is why recovery software works).

When you format, you are getting rid of EVERYTHING. Recovery software does not work on a formatted card.

Format.

Every time you 'delete', the image info is still retained. Bit by bit, the card builds up memory until it is full of useless info. (this is why recovery software works).

When you format, you are getting rid of EVERYTHING. Recovery software does not work on a formatted card.

Aah OK, next silly question, do I first delete the photos, and then format or just format over the photos and they will automatically be removed, if that makes sense.

Format.

Aah OK, next silly question, do I first delete the photos, and then format or just format over the photos and they will automatically be removed, if that makes sense.

Just format.

I remove the card, upload the photos to the computer using a card reader. Stick the card back in the camera and select format from the menu. That's it.

BTW - Even after formatting images CAN sometimes be recovered with special recovery software.

Just format.

I remove the card, upload the photos to the computer using a card reader. Stick the card back in the camera and select format from the menu. That's it.

BTW - Even after formatting images CAN sometimes be recovered with special recovery software.

OK thanks, as to uploading photos, I didn't do it the way you describe. following instructions in my manual that came with the camera, I first downloaded the CD's that came with it and then plugged the camera directly into the computer and it did the rest.

Is your way better? I suppose it means I'd have to buy a card reader now.

Just format.

OK thanks, as to uploading photos, I didn't do it the way you describe. following instructions in my manual that came with the camera, I first downloaded the CD's that came with it and then plugged the camera directly into the computer and it did the rest.

Is your way better? I suppose it means I'd have to buy a card reader now.

Ask two people and you'll get three opinions! A card reader is faster and doesn't use the batteries in your camera.

Your method is the one that works for you and your comfortable with it. It might be easier to stick with your current method.

I don't use the Canon software so I do things a little differently, I use Photoshop, Bridge and Vista.

Oh how I wish I could have a computer whizz sitting here to show me how to work this damn thing. I've got myself this fabbo new computer and camera and most of what they can do are unused. I feel like someone who's only driven a pedal car being put behind the wheel of a Ferrarri.

When you put the card back in the just re format the card - it may warn you that all info will be removed just go OK and it will show that you have the full space again.

Don't worry about deleting the images they disappear when it is reformatted (although as has been said they technically exist on the card until they are overwritten but the camera nor computer will 'see' them without special recovery software).

Whatever you find easiest for downloading - my computer has always had a card slot in the computer box for all different sizes so I use that, other people use card readers and others just plug the camera in. All ways works just whatever you find easiest to use yourself to transfer from the card to your computer to save them. Don't forget to also burn a copy to a hard disk drive or CD or DVD or something so you have a back up copy of the photos you want to keep in additional to your computer.

thanks Rubiton, well, gulp, I did it. I was a bit attached to those pics on the camera. I've got them on my computer and I'll figure out how to burn them as soon as I get some CDs or DVD's. which is better to store them on? That'll be the next thing to do my head in. sigh......

Whichever is easier - CDs only hold 700mb of info whereas DVDs will hold about 4.5gb - assuming your computer burns both DVDs and CDs.

I find Cds are easier as you just use windows and the copy to CD menu item whereas I have to go into Nero to set up a DVD (and DVDs take a lot longer as there is more info to burn). I do both DVD and CD and copy to an external hard disk which is probably overkill but I never know how long will pass before someone asks about a photo.

I know what its like when the pics are from a really big days racing and after its been copied and burnt etc I still hate reformatting the card even though I know I have it copied in several places.

Guest Clover

I always format cards before using them again, photos either get burnt strait from card to cd or transfered to the computer and burnt from there. I also make sure i burn the photos to CD before formatting the card, just in case the PC has a problem :).

• 3 weeks later...

Kirislin -

when you get a chance, I'd head out and buy a card reader to hook up to one of the USB ports on your computer. Then you just pop the card out of your camera and stick it in the card reader - the rest of the process is the same as when you hook your camera up. There are a couple of benefits in doing it this way...you can use your camera while the card is doing its thing (assuming you have a second card!) and its generally a faster download from the reader than the camera. Plus those benefits mentioned above :thumbsup: But the way you are doing things works, so there's no hurry to get one.

Always check your downloaded images to make sure they are complete before you format the card (or delete the images, whichever you prefer).

I usually format my cards instead of deleting the images - it's just how I do it. On my baby compacts, I will often just delete because that option is easier in their menu systems...then once in a while when I think about it I format the card. Much of a muchness most of the time, really.

I, too, back up to external hard drives (man, they are getting cheap now!) and to DVDs. Popular wisdom is that you need to double check your DVD copies now and again as time goes on as they can fail. I usually do it once a year or every 18 months ish - on a rainy day when I have nothing better to do LOL

I'm not sure what Canon software you have, but I've heard that some of their software is pretty user friendly. I haven't installed any of the stuff that came with my cameras, so can't offer much first hand help there! A free software program that many people use is Picasa, download from the web...it's pretty powerful but really easy to use as things are clearly marked for the most part.

Hope you're having a great time with your new camera!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and thankyou kja, I've only just peeked in here and seen your reply. I re formatted the card. As to transferrring the images to the computer, mine seems pretty quick, I have to say I got myself a pretty groovy computer though, (is there a brag emoticon, I need to insert here).:laugh: (this'll have to do) I am technologically challenged so I am way over camera'd and computered, but you never know, maybe one day I will figure out how to use both to their potential. Still, I am having fun with both.

Dont worry - Was talking to another photographer on the weekend about the 40D and we both think it can probably go out there and take the pics itself from the features that I've heard about but not come across as yet. And I've had this camera since last October with high usage every weekend (and more in March).