Chewing Stafford

Jenni

I have a 7mth old Staffordshire Bullterrier and he keeps on chewing my daughters outside toys.I just bought her a new swing set and he has started on the plastic foot pegs :D He has heaps of his own toys out the back but still preferrs hers. I remember seeing on some website this stuff to stop them chewing but cant remember the name of it im sure it was a natural spray of some sort and it was a link from something I was reading about Staffords. Does anyone have any ideas or know the stuff or something simular I can try.

Thanx Jenni

You could try any number of the sprays available from the pet shops or chilli powder or tabasco sauce, I've also heard that most dog's don't like citrus. But if you have a staffy like mine none of those will help and you will need to wait until he out grows it! Staffies have a strong jaw and need to exercise the muscles, make sure he has lots of bones, chew toys, kongs etc and that he get's alot of excerise and stimulation.

Yep, you are in prime chewing age and those lovely hard yet soft kids plastic things are like heaven to a staffy's jaws.

When my dog was that age she ate everything in the yard and in the house that we left lying around. The spray stuff (I think most commercial ones are ok) worked but generally she would just get into something else. At 18 months she seems to have gotten better but I think that is mostly because there is nothing left in the yard for her to chew! :cheer:

Have you tried kongs, bones etc? At her worst phase I would chuck her a chicken wing if I was going inside for even 5 mins. When going out we would make sure she had been for a long walk (a tired puppy is a good puppy) and leave her an assortment of toys, a frozen kong (the only kind for a staffy!) and a marrow bone. Pretty successful.

These days she is even too lazy to chew her kongs properly, but I still never leave anything lying around I don't want chewed.

Good luck!

I was actually cleaning my room the other day and came across a book I was reading around the same time I first got Hero- it had all these tiny little teeth marks down one side- like he had been chewing it while I was reading :cheer: I thought to myself "oh where did my little puppy go?!!!" one day you'll look back and miss all this!

Sounds like a normal staffy to me :cheer: Pup carnt tell the diffrence between toys that belong to your daughter and toys that belong to him so I guess all you can do is put all your daughters toys away when shes not playing with them if theyre small enough to be moved and wait for him to grow out of it.

Yep, you are in prime chewing age and those lovely hard yet soft kids plastic things are like heaven to a staffy's jaws.

When my dog was that age she ate everything in the yard and in the house that we left lying around. The spray stuff (I think most commercial ones are ok) worked but generally she would just get into something else. At 18 months she seems to have gotten better but I think that is mostly because there is nothing left in the yard for her to chew! :cheer:

Have you tried kongs, bones etc? At her worst phase I would chuck her a chicken wing if I was going inside for even 5 mins. When going out we would make sure she had been for a long walk (a tired puppy is a good puppy) and leave her an assortment of toys, a frozen kong (the only kind for a staffy!) and a marrow bone. Pretty successful.

These days she is even too lazy to chew her kongs properly, but I still never leave anything lying around I don't want chewed.

Good luck!

That about sums it up!

We used D-Ter on our colourbond fences to keep the malamutes from headbutting them and jumping over them.. www.gardenexpress.com.au 100g mixes up to 2 litres of spray.. Even kept the cockies out of our orchard last year - bumper plum and almond crops!

Yeah Yeah I kind of thought it was a dum question! :) But the frustation some times! Lucky I luv him heaps and wouldnt trade him for the world.

Shoemonster I did have a good laugh at that thread it sounded just like me :)

I do give him marrow bones and he has chewable toys and yes I have taken the daughters toys away well the ones that can b moved. We move house in 3 wks into a brand new one with nice new landscaping :) aint that going to b fun

Edited by Jenni

ooh love the idea of the chewy corners!! Plastic containers are the best aren't they...mine love a good empty ice cream container LOL

Upside down plastic bowls are fun too, you can zoom them around with your nose!!

Meh my AMstaff has been fine (although only 5 months) it was my bloody Lhasa that chewed everything, including about 5 pairs of good shoes, 2 pairs of thongs (not destroyed but de-plugged so you don't realise till you were walking down the street!!), book spines, corner of the lounge. You can't put stuff out of her way either because she is a cat-dog and gets up on the dining table etc. She is getting much better now that she has turned 1.