Hydrobaths

Ok i am about to buy a hydrobath, i finally have the money so its just a matter of selcting one but i was just wondering what do i actually connect it to and how many connections there are? I will most likely get one with a heater, so as not to waste our hot water and dont fully understand single/twin tanks and how they work and not sure about drainage either. Is this something i can set up myself or do i need someone qualified. Can anyone help me out please? Thanks :rolleyes:

I got my hydrobath from The BARF Shop.

It is a heated twin-tank. Basically twin-tank baths have a wash tank and a rinse tank. You attach a garden hose to the bath and the tap and turn it on. The rinse tank automatically fills and heats. When you've finished washing, you turn a handle and it switches to the rinse tank which automatically refills as the water level drops. When you want to empty, you open the drain valve and it drains the bath. How it drains would depend upon where you have it. Mine is outside and on wheels so I just wheel it to where I want the water to go and open the valve. You could easily attache a hose to it for disposal down the sink or wherever.

You don't need to have them plumbed in and you don't need any special skills to use it.

Just fill it up with the hose, no need for connections. Turn the heat on and wait for it to warm up. Or if you get a non heated one you will need to add hot water yourself.

If you empty it down the drain make sure you put a bag on the end of the hose to catch the hair. Last thing you want is someone having to come out to unblock it.

They are very simple to use, you will wish you had one years ago.

You can buy non heated, but will either have to cart hot water or have a small hot water unit fitted near by for it. The non heated baths are heaps cheaper.

The heated models are more portable, if you want to move it you can. if you fitted a hot water unit you will not be able to move it around unless you make some changes.

Mine is a heated twin tank. The wash tank is a good size and the rinse tank is huge. I can rinse out 3 - 4 small dogs depends on their size and coat or 2 Rotties. Make sure you get one with a big rinse tank, some are only small and will not be able to rinse the shampoo out properly. Mine is not an automatic fill, I add what I want so if I only need a half tank then that is all I am heating. To swap from wash to rise - just turn a leaver. Open the drain to empty. Just remember to turn it off before you empty, you don't want to burn out the element(s).

Hope that helps. :rolleyes:

Hi Kaffy

I am a little spoilt as we were building so I had washing machine taps put in, and we can swap from rain water to tap water if we're running low. It is a single tank with heater and auto rinse so you never run out of warm water to rinse with. I love it! Can wash dogs day or night in comfort.

The waste water goes straight out a floor drain and is recycle out to our garden. :laugh:

post-21276-1216899259_thumb.jpg

Edit to add - I wish I had chosen a colour, if you have an option for this I would as you have to live with it for a long time.

Edited by Blue Fox 001

I've had to modify my use of mine a little because I don't have good enough water pressure from my gravity feed tank to fill the rinse tank quickly so I also fill mine manually (but still leave the hose running as well) and turn the thermostat on to heat the water (cheaper than using hot water). I do my shampooing manually, which I prefer anyway because some areas need more work than others and use the pressure from the hydrobath to rinse.

It saves so much time and so much wear and tear on my back and certainly beats hanging over the side of a bathtub for hours rinsing hair out of long coats!

Mine lives on my back porch and I just wheel it over to the pathway and point the drain down the garden. If I were really inspired I could no doubt attach a hose to the drain and use the grey water to water the garden but I'm happy enough for it to wash the paths because the shampoo helps stop moss from growing.

I got the purple, the magenta was on backorder and not expected in for a few weeks.

post-864-1216940370_thumb.jpg

Oooooo - I want the one with the dryer too!

No sense me buying a forced air dryer when there's one in the tub! Anyone got a spare $3000 to give me? Zero and i would be very thankful and you could have a lifetimes worth of husky hugs :)

Maybe I'll get some $$ back from tax to kick off the savings...

Ok I thought I would add some photos too. :D

LibertyTwinTubHydrobath001.jpg rinse tank [R]. Door [L]

LibertyTwinTubHydrobath.jpg This shows the insert to raise the small dogs to save your back. Large wash tank.

Umm it could do with a bit of a scrub. :)

If you have the bath with the drier built in, I would be worried of one broke down. You lose both while sent off for repairs. I have replaced the both motors in my drier (I have a spare drier) I would have been stuffed for a week without a bath while the drier was repaired.

Edited by Lisa M

Good point Lisa...

Maybe i'll just get the one without the drier and then get the drier separately. I was going to buy a drier in the next couple of weeks anyway so maybe i'll get it now and then get the hydrobath later.

I agree about not getting the bath with the dryer attached in case of breakdown. Another favourable point is that if they are separate, once you have bathed one, someone else can be drying that one well awayfrom the bath while you start to wash the next- works for us anyway!

Hmmm, this has given me some ideas :cheer:

We have just started to build. At present I bath Pele in the laundry trough. She just fits in diagonally, so have told OH that the laundry trough needs to be big enough to bath Pele. Pele is 29.2kgs and is quite heavy to lift.

Where do you buy a hydrobath and how much approximately are they? The heated one sounds the way to go :(

Maybe I could bath friends and neighbor's dogs and help recoup the costs :D