Heat Cycles

Okay, I'm posting because I am sick of supervised toilet breaks and kenneling Clover during the day (and Clover is too!). But, I'm not sure when I can stop.

The problem is that I have not noticed any discharge at all until today... And that discharge was more a clear/snot (not green) colour than the blood discharge normally described.

On the 9th of July my other two dogs started to hump Clover.

Approximately the 16th of July her vulva was swollen. (Did not record exact date. :laugh: )

And now today, 24th of July, is the first time I've seen discharge and it's the clear/white/mucousy discharge...

So I don't know where we are up to. Most documentation I've read refers to the 'changing to straw' as the sign of readiness, but I don't believe it was any colour to start with. I have been checking A LOT and also wiping with a tissue to observe colour. I don't want to breed her ATM (or perhaps ever) but I just want to know when we can return to normal life again. :laugh:

At the moment I'm just waiting until she is no longer swollen, unless someone has a better idea. :laugh:

I'm not sure about what part of the cycle they are fertile in. But with the rescue pug bitches that I have had here that have been on heat it's basically been about 3 weeks of discarge so I have made sure that I haven't taken then out and about whilst they have still had discharge and still were swollen.

The discarge with the pug bitches was always a red one at the start and then a more browny red at the end. Not sure about the clear/white/mucousy discharge you are talking about.

Has she had any red discharge at all?

Maybe give your vet or breeder a call and ask them if this is normal. Maybe something is going wrong. Maybe because it's her first heat it will be incomplete.

Seems that the masses have gone quiet on this one for fear that your a BYB or something.

Perhaps if I post that I plan to knock her up (on her first season, to a malteseX down the street) and want to know the best time I might get more responses? :D

I'll try to get a hold of her breeder or my other Mac's breeder to ask.

try asking in the breeders section. as they deal with that sort of thing alot :thumbsup:

i need to know as well, our mastiff is due to come in soon, and i'd like to know when i have to keep the boys away.

Perhaps if I post that I plan to knock her up (on her first season, to a malteseX down the street) and want to know the best time I might get more responses? :rofl:

I'll try to get a hold of her breeder or my other Mac's breeder to ask.

:laugh: Yes that might get more of a response. :rofl: Then you could do a posting of the puppies asking people to guess who the daddy is. :rofl:

I didn't post this in the breeders section because it's not only breeders who have dogs in heat. :rofl: It annoys me that I can't respond in the breeders section to 'general knowledge' kind of questions (like this!) which don't actually pertain to breeding as such... But it seems that has failed.

Thanks for the additional responses. :laugh:

If you aren't sure and she is still swollen I would continue to keep her separated from your male dogs. If she has any sort of discharge she is probably still in her cycle.

I have found when you have a good male stud dog at home you can actually put them back together again sooner, because they know when the time is right and give up before and after that time. It is usually the horny ones that don't know the difference that will try their luck throughout the full cycle and make life not so pleasant for you and your girl even if she is past the fertile time.

Edited by nynka

Guest Doglady0419

What do you know about a "Silent Season"?

That's what it sounds like to me.......there is a discharge but not bloody......I have lived through this with one of my bitches.....sounds like she is at standing stage....if you don't want to breed her then keep your other dogs away from her......google Silent Seasons...

Good Luck!

Okay, I'm posting because I am sick of supervised toilet breaks and kenneling Clover during the day (and Clover is too!). But, I'm not sure when I can stop.

The problem is that I have not noticed any discharge at all until today... And that discharge was more a clear/snot (not green) colour than the blood discharge normally described.

On the 9th of July my other two dogs started to hump Clover.

Approximately the 16th of July her vulva was swollen. (Did not record exact date. :rofl: )

And now today, 24th of July, is the first time I've seen discharge and it's the clear/white/mucousy discharge...

So I don't know where we are up to. Most documentation I've read refers to the 'changing to straw' as the sign of readiness, but I don't believe it was any colour to start with. I have been checking A LOT and also wiping with a tissue to observe colour. I don't want to breed her ATM (or perhaps ever) but I just want to know when we can return to normal life again. :laugh:

At the moment I'm just waiting until she is no longer swollen, unless someone has a better idea. :rofl:

Just to make clear, the other two dogs here (a dog and a bitch) are both desexed. Clover is being supervised and separated in case some rogue dog jumps the fence and also because the desexed dogs hump her constantly. :thumbsup:

It may be a silent season. If this is the case, is she likely to have silent seasons in the future?

Also, seeing this is her first season, she is probably just doing unusual things... I hope.

Guest Doglady0419

My bitch had silent seasons from the start and up until she had a litter......the season after her litter produced colour (blood) in the discharge.....then I had her de-sexed due to phantoms.....squeeky toys drove her nuts to the point she thought her babies were in distress.....she produced 7 beautiful pups and I have her daughter to breed from with everything as normal as can be.....she is due to mated this Thursday:))))

Just to make clear, the other two dogs here (a dog and a bitch) are both desexed. Clover is being supervised and separated in case some rogue dog jumps the fence and also because the desexed dogs hump her constantly. :thumbsup:

It may be a silent season. If this is the case, is she likely to have silent seasons in the future?

Also, seeing this is her first season, she is probably just doing unusual things... I hope.