Help On Arthritis

kaye1234

Guest Paulc1964au

Can someone advise what Sasha's blend is and what form it is? I'm out Campbelltown way in Sydney and would like to try it for my dog? Here is what I posted in the general discussions forum before I realised there was a health section

I have an 11 year old Maltese male who over the past 6 weeks has deteriated. Sam lives a good life and is an indoors dog, our house is two levels with stairs and all his life has had a run of the house.

Approx 6 weeks ago he started to just sit around and sleep (more than usual) we also noticed he was having difficulties walking. We took him to the vet who diagnosed arthritis in the back and prescribed anti inflammatory drugs. Sam seems to be depressed and some days he walks around other days he just sleeps or lays. At times now he gets snappy especially picking him up to take him outside, maybe its because of the pain but it is hard to tell.

I guess I'm wondering if anybody has had similar probs with their dog and any suggestions, I dont want to see him suffer but unless he was in constant agony euthanasia would be a last option as he has been a loyal family pet for 11 years, we do understand his life span is only 10 to 15 years.

Do we need to walk him to try and give him excercise or do we continue to pamper him more than usual????

If the vet has found no problems with your Maltese apart from the arthritis, he may be depressed because he is in pain.

Sasha's Blend is a proprietary arthritis treatment, available from vets. I believe there is a simiilar product available from pet stores, which is cheaper, but I am not sure what it is called.

Our old dog was taking Metacam for arthritis for 3 years, and this gave a great deal of relief ..... and there seemed to be no side effecs. Liquid, administered orally daily.

Rozzie, it's natural science glucosamine plus. I haven't seen it anywhere (and I've really scouted around) other than at our wholesalers. I would be happy to send it down to you if you wanted. It's not heavy so postage wouldn't be too much - at $12.20 a bottle plus postage it's still got to be way cheaper than sasha's blend.

Darcy,

yes, he does look like a very tall one. Still, Brittanies should be around 23 kg at their heaviest. I have trouble imagining that 35kg would ever be healthy for one, even a tall one. He doesn't look as obese as I first imagined though.

Guest Paulc1964au

Thankyou for all your help, I went and bought a supply of Sashas blend from the vet tonight and Sam had the first tatse with his dinner and ate it. I will keep you informed on how he goes.

I have two old retired labradors.

I fed the BARF diet for 2 years, Proplan and Euk for 2 years also.

I changed to Eagle Pack 2 years ago, and will remain on this product.

Our 14 year old, who at the time was obviously 12, has improved out of sight with Eagle Pack. She is fed one of the formulas which contain Glucosamine.

Our 11 year old is arthritic, confirmed by xrays. She also receives Metacam.

Make sure that the dog is lean (check with your hands with long coated dogs), kept warm and exercised as to their ability. Swimming in warmer weather is the best, if they like water.

Fifteen of my friends dogs have changed to Eagle Pack and all the responses by their dogs have been positive. The dogs on the food, include cocker spaniels, GSD, english pointers, poodles and others.

All premium dog foods are not created equal in my experience.

Just thought i would give everyone a up date on D'arcy and his arthritis i have started him on Cosequin and i already have seen great results in him. And the other good news he has lost another kilo i know that some people might not think 4 kilos is a lot of weight but he is look fantastic. I will try and down load a photo of him to show well he looks.

All the best darcy.