Eventful Weekend

Leema

Clover started stretching unusually and repetitively on Saturday night and, after 40 minutes, we took her to the vet. I was concerned she may have a genetic cramping syndrome seen in Border Terriers. When we got to the vet (this was at 9pm, so we had to go to an emergency vet) the vet suggested abdominal pain as a cause of stretching as I described. The vet could feel something in her digestive tract and my OH and I thought it might be one of the nuts from a palm tree out the back. Clover had x-rays (and because she was so subdued from the pain did not need sedation) and there was nothing conclusive or concerning from the x-rays. Clover got a shot for the pain and we got sent home $280 poorer. We were to monitor the poo department.

This morning she still wasn't herself. She would sit, trembling and whining. We were pooless. So we went back to the vet and underwent another xray. Again, nothing too concerning but we could see 'something' at the beginning of her colon. The vet gave her a 'chemical enema' and she pooed! And out popped a nut from the palm tree. Another xray showed that she was now empty and the gas previously seen had subsided. Even though today was a Sunday, we attended the clinic in their opening hours so the poo only cost us $180.

Mike and I had to go out for lunch, so we crated her as we didn't want to have her outside. We came home to a different dog - "HI I LOVE YOU THROW MY BALL NOW"

So Clover has made a full recovery but I'm so tired from worry and now I'm going to stay up all night organising uni work for tomorrow. :rolleyes:

But Clover is fine, and that's great. :love: I don't know how people go through this for anything more serious!

Glad she is okay and I do hope that Palm Tree has been either removed or cordoned off from the dogs to prevent this happening again

Doggie Golden Rule- "if it is on the ground it just has to be mine and I can eat it !" and they do!

Edited by InspectorRex

We actually partitioned off that part of the yard for different reasons yesterday. :rolleyes: About 36 hours too late. Clover likes to play with them - she throws them around and chases them, but occasionally swallows them. It's unfortunate because she has such a great time with them, but they will be confiscated when I find her with them now.

The palm trees are not ours (neighbours yard) so cannot be removed.

Glad to hear she is okay again :D It's very nerve wracking isn't it? Back in September, after I had got Buuli back from the people that had adopted him (their son was allergic), he started dropping weight & looked tucked up. X=rays also didn't show anything but he was so weak that the vets agreed that he needed surgery. Turns out he had eaten a leash :) as well as some plastic & rubber bits which I am assuming were kids toys. It cost $1600 but the real nice family paid $1000 of it because they were responsible for it. I didn't ask, they just did ;)

If he didn't have surgery, he wouldn't have lasted another day or two. Thank goodness your girl poo'ed the nut out. Do you think your neighbours would do something about the tree if you told them what happened?

The trees are actually quite nice. I'll mention it to them as we are having ongoing communications about my dogs barking. Hopefully, with it fenced off, we won't have further incidents. Clover has been playing with them for 11 months and we just had this one unfortunate incident, not that I want to take chances again.

I'm so glad we didn't have to have surgery. :) I would've been a wreck. The price wasn't really important, but a $180 poo is a good conversation starter. :eat:

I ended up going to bed and waking up early to do uni work... I was buggered!

I would approach the neighbour who has the offending tree with something like " the reason my dog barks is that they loves the nuts form YOUR Plam Tree and are simply waiting for them to come over the fence. as it happens one did fall over the fence , one of the dogs ate it and it cost me XXX of $$$ at the Vet to have it removed". Then say something like" do you think it would be possible for you to either trim the tree back or relocate it and this may resolve your concerns about my dogs barking?"-

By putting it to them tactifully like that you are actually putting the ball back in their court so to speak.

Let us know how you go

Glad Clover is okay- our furkids give us some worrying times but we would not have it any other way would we? :(

They already know the palm trees make her bark. They also drop their leaves/branches into our yard and Clover barks as she attacks them. :p

The trees are pretty massive and do look nice, it's just their rubbish that is inconvenient. They're only about 30cm from the fence, so even trimming wouldn't be helpful, I don't think.

With that part of the yard fenced off, I'm not worried about Clover finding more of them, it's just finding all the ones she has brought inside over time! I'm sure she's stashed them all somewhere (she really does like them).

I will mention it to them that we have had vet expenses, but only as a passing comment. I'm not going to pursue them about their trees. They've been so good about my dogs barking and working with me and I'm not going to bother them about the trees. Sometimes things happen and it's no one's fault, just shit happens.

Clover started stretching unusually and repetitively on Saturday night and, after 40 minutes, we took her to the vet. I was concerned she may have a genetic cramping syndrome seen in Border Terriers. When we got to the vet (this was at 9pm, so we had to go to an emergency vet) the vet suggested abdominal pain as a cause of stretching as I described. The vet could feel something in her digestive tract and my OH and I thought it might be one of the nuts from a palm tree out the back. Clover had x-rays (and because she was so subdued from the pain did not need sedation) and there was nothing conclusive or concerning from the x-rays. Clover got a shot for the pain and we got sent home $280 poorer. We were to monitor the poo department.

How scary, especially with the cramping syndrome with the Borders! Thank goodness it wasn't and she's ok!