Breed Clips

Hi all

I'm training to be a groomer at the moment (by distance - not ideal but I'm not training so i can do it professionally, just training out of interest) and am being asked by a lot of friends and family to groom their dogs, mostly cavs, labs, and poodles but because i don't have any experience with these breeds, is there anywhere i can have a look at what clips these breeds have? Or maybe a website with a "how to" on it? I know labs are mostly just a bath and brush kind of breed, but is it the same with the cavs?

When I was training I was given a book that had virtually every dog breed in it, but I gave it away many moons ago, and now I cant remember what it is called............It was rather good & had a ring spine so you could flip it to whatever breed it was & it would stay on that page........

Go to dogshows & look.

You need to decide what type of groomer you want to be & then take dogs within your abilities.

Like already said dont clip a cavie unless asked & always double check that what you think & what they think are the same.Many dog owners dont use the right words to explain the outcome they want.

Bormally with cavies all we will trim is there feet as many owners dont like the slippers & all the rest is hand stripped out.We have 3 that are clip offs but due to old age its the best option for them especially as the owners dont want to brush them

Grooming can be a funny business.

There is quite often a huge difference between what the breed is supposed to look like and how the owner wants it, you have to learn the art of mind reading and reading between the lines :rofl:

If you have a background in show dogs, I think it is harder because you have these pictures in your mind of what the breeds look like, then the owner comes along with their version that is so far off it is amazing.

If you really enjoy the art of grooming a dog to its breed standard then you have pray you get owners that maintain the coat between visits.

It can be difficult to send home a Bichon looking like it should when it has spent winter wearing a jumper and hasn't seen a brush and comb.

was the book called 'notes from the grooming table'?

I have also just started grooming and find "Notes" to be fantastic. But like people have said above not many owners want or can cope with a true breed clip. I was all excited the other day was going to have my first Cocker, read all about it in Notes, looked up everything I could find on the internet, asked questions on a grooming forum I am on - when dog came in had to be cut down with a #9, matted to the skin on body and ears :thumbsup: There certainly wasn't anything fancy about how he ended up!

Edited by Blue Fox 001

Oster do a series of breed specific grooming videos - they might be more useful in terms of how to do it than books. Breed threads here have a heap of pics of breeds in various clips too.

ETA: Forgot to add, Shirley Kalstone's book is the bible of poodle grooming for most folks. I used to do my dogs with it propped open in front of me and follow the steps. I gave you the link for it at Dymocks.

Edited by poodlefan

I have an all breeds book here you can borrow, or otherwise it is about $100 to buy new (actually think I have a spare floating around you can have, will have a look). However I recommend looking in to Melissa Verplanks books Theory Of Five and Notes from the Grooming Table aswell.

I'll look at see if i can get a copy of the book too!

Shell, There is also a book getting around that shows the clips and styles for most breeds. It is called "The All Breed Dog Grooming Guide" by Sam Kohl and Catherine Goldstein. It is a very old book but well worth it. They illustrate instructions and has heaps of useful info when starting out. Even if you get a 2nd hand copy, well worth it.

Cheers