My Labrador Is Picky On Food..

vision

Hills is a waste of money & your dog is telling you that.

I imagine your vet recommends it as thats what they sell & get a commission on.Its doesnt mean they feed it.

You need to add to the dry like already said.Mutton,beef(although i dont use beef at all).chicken mince & mix the dry & raw.

Add things as mentioned Tuna,sardines,egg,yoghurt.

"I cooked him chicken breast once, he loved it and finished his food (inc. dry food) straight away. The thing is, my friend suggested not to feed him meat or a like, otherwise he won't eat the dry food if it doesn't come with meats."

What is your freinds experience??

Your dog ate a full meal & was happy.At present your dog is refusing to eat,underweight not hard to figure out the direction to head.

My dogs get premiun dry BUT it is always added to no one leaves there dry

my friend has a schnauzer, her dog only has dry food..i guess he was just brought up that way.. :\

anyway, i think i'm going raw+dry..can i feed Cookie raw mince (chicken or beef) on daily basis? i'd imagine mince chicken will have quite alot of fat..

cheers

I feed my labs raw mince on a daily basis. They do get a fast day occasionally, but as your boy is underweight, I would feed him a smaller amount twice a day of raw + dry, as well as all the other things people have mentioned, like eggs occasionally, sardines etc. I mix some natural yoghurt through my dogs dry food as well once a week and they love it, along with their mince. Then when he is eating really well and putting on weight, you could go back to one larger meal a day.

I would suggest a vet check as well, just to make sure there is nothing wrong. Has Cookie always been a small eater, or is it a recent thing?

thx shellbyville.. Cookie eats as long as there's supplement to the dry food..without the mix of 'my dog', he will leave his food until he's hungry..

today, i bought some mince chicken and a bag of chicken neck. He finished his mix raw carrot, mince and dry food straight away.

i also gave him a pieces of chicken neck..he finished it in seconds! is this normal? :|

i've arranged a vet check next couple of weeks.

he doesn't need the carrot -especially if he's a bit thin- carrot is basically just a 'filler'

Regarding chicken necks- IMO they are way too small for a lab- and worse if you cut them into bits. there is a risk , if he doesn't crunch them into tiny pieces, of them becoming lodged on the way down ...

Glad he enjoyed his mince :laugh:

I think going to the vets is a good idea just to be safe, do let us know how he goes :laugh:

As for food, i feed my labs a small amount Origin biscuits and fresh meat. Usually once a week they have a lambs neck which is obvisouly much larger than chicken necks which means they don't pose such a risk of your dog choking. I do watch my dogs while they eat though to make sure they don't try to gobble it down too fast. They also have sardines, roo mince and organs (heart, kindey and liver) occassionally so they never get bored of their food.....bt then again they are labs :laugh:

edited for spelling!

Edited by LabrADORE