Tail Chasing

Fordogs

Hello,

I know that this topic has been discussed many times before. I have been on line all day looking up many sites relating to tail chasing and I know from a previous dog that had an OSC disorder that it can often be a long and often dead end street.

My puppy has spent the better part of today tail chasing, I have tried many things including

A juicy bone

A long play session

A Kong filled with his favourite foods

A long walk

Letting him run with Mum

Finally putting him in his kennel

Yes I have cried many tears today as I know how most of these puppies end up

Does anyone have any more suggestions, at this stage I am willing to listen to anything that may help.

:laugh:

Sorry this is not help, but I wanted to comment that my puppy (5 months old Papillon) does it all the time.

But it is not extended, (He actually reminds me of a ballerina) he will do it for a minute - if that - and then do something else......

It's like he finds his tail again chases it and then has a nother thought track... ... I thought it was cute - but now I am worried that it might turn into something obsessive ...

I am going to try and distract him when he does it from now on!

Edited by Papi_Searcher

Tail chasing isnt normal at all.In all the years of owning dogs & breeding we have never had a tail chaser & certainly isnt a behaviour you want to encourage.Cute for humans but not for dogs.

My first visit would be to a dog chiro/bowen or similiar to much sure there isnt a nerve pinching or a muscle injury that COULD cause the dog to want to chase .If there is no issue there & then it would be time to work on other reasons

Can I ask what breed? I've heard of it being neurologically-based in some lines of particular breeds, and of it being caused by traumatic brain injury in individual dogs of any breed. (I'm talking about the obsessive tail chasers, not the occassional game for puppy fun or out of boredom.)

I have also heard some trainers claim they can use operant conditioning to diminish the behaviour even if it has a neuro basis but I'd be doubtful, I think it's a really hard one. So sorry your pup is showing signs of it. I agree with settrlvr that a chiro trip is an easy first check, let's hope that is all it is.

Vet check to check for any trauma to the tail or dermatological problem or any problem in dog's rear end. How old is pup? Also very likely the more attention you give it the more you are reinforcing the behaviour. There was another thread about this a while ago. Maybe someone can find it - I'm a little short of time atm I'm sorry!

a lot of people told me when my shep was doing it to ignore her, which i found did no good at all. the toys helped a little, but the best thing was for me to clap twice which seems to be her cue to stop everything, and come sit by my feet....... i didint teach her that either.........

slowly i managed to teach her by banging her favourite ropetoy on the ground that tail chasing was abd, and then she would come up and rescue her toy, and we would have to play fetch for 15 minutes. :D ill see if i can find the thread i had on this.

ETA found it, here.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...=140541&hl=

Edited by GSDhandler