Diet Advice

Tammi

Ok Rufus is now 12 months old and I've tried nearly every shampoo variety from the shops around here. It doesn't matter if I wash him once a week, or once a month he still gets very dry, flakey and itchy skin (Maybe I should get an anti-dandruff lol)

He has been fed on Eukanuba since he was 14 weeks old, but was fed whatever the people were eating before then. Coming from a rescue I would have thought they might try to feed him actual dog food. But anyway.

I've had a few people tell me Eukanuba isn't all that great. Which gets me a little nervous as it is what was reccomended by my vet. However it's second ingredient is corn meal. And I was thinking maybe Rufus is allergic to that? Or something else contained in the biscuits. He is getting the Large Breed Puppy one at the moment.

Dry food is really conveneant for me, as I can fill his boredem buster up with his biscuits, but wet food clogs and gets stuck. I did try, had to soak it overnight to get it all out.

Are there any particular brands you can reccomend that aren't impossible to get a hold of in Aus? Or even a fail proof shampoo to help ^_^

Nothing is fail proof, but you could try Proplan Sensitive, most Vets can get this as the major Vet suppliers stock it.

I have had great results with this it is salmon based.

Maybe try adding some Omega oil to his food or a tin of sardines in oil a couple of times a week.

I am sure everyone will come along and add their two cents worth, but in reality no one thing will work for all dogs.

our Wei was fed on Euk for his first 4 years or so then suddenly his skin started to flare up

we narrowed it to certain grasses where we used to walk him and also the grains in most dry feeds

each dog has it's own triggers that set off the itches, but try the following....

- stop with the shampoos - they strip the skin of the natural oils

- add some omega oils to the diet (we use human fish oil capsules)

- switch to a grain free dry food (we are now on Orijen adult)

- give half a Polaramine (human antihistamine) from time to time to help with flare ups

there are a billion options, change one thing at a time and see what happens

good luck

If this were my dog - I would feed him nothing else other than raw chicken wings, board certified Aloe Vera Juice,a childs vitamin pill daily for 4 weeks. Under no condition would I feed him any commercial dog foods.

I would take him off all meds including and especially heartworm meds,I would take a good look at everything in his life and environment which may cause him stress. No vaccinations.So consider the temperature, draughts,changes in his life etc.

I would wash him in nothing else but human baby shampoo (and only if really needed) with a few drops of Lavender oil and rinse him with a cup of Apple cidar vinegar per 4 litres. If his skin appears inflamed I would apply Aloe Vera Gel several times per day.

No matter what the reaction to this appeared to be I would stick with this and then reassess at the end of the 4 week period.

I would expect that for the first 2 weeks he may appear to get a little worse as he de - toxifies.

I would also document everything that is able to be noted in a journal daily.

Julie

Eukanuba is quite a dry food so maybe all he needs is a change? Royal Canin can be good try the large breed puppy I have had success with it for a lot of dogs as the oil content is higher. You can also give him a fish oil capsule a day if that helps him as well.

Royal Canin is pretty much the only food my Rottweiler wont fall apart or go bald on because of the oil content

Thanks for the replies everyone ^_^ I will look into those brands of food and the shampoo as well. I have to go and get his next lot of food today or tomorrow so will talk to the vet there and see what he feels would help, and get a smaller bag of Euk.

while I know Rufus would love the chicken necks as his only food, how much would you give a 24kg 12 month old dog? He is only on Spectrum monthly for worms and heartworm and advantage for fleas. I'm a bit paranoid about not giving him his heartworm tabs, fleas I can live with temporarily lol.

I should mention I am struggling with weeds in the back yard, but he did have dry skin before they all shot up. So while that could be irritating the problem I don't believe it's the main cause.

I've been worrying that he might be stressing while I am at work. So I have a friend bringing her Mastiff over today and we are going to see how they go together. If it goes well he will visit a couple times a week while we are both at work. Dropped off at nine, I'll go to work around 1pm and then he will get picked up around 6pm and I'll get home around 10. So they will have all day to play and Rufus will only be home alone for four hours ^_^

I worry about feeding a growing animal nothing but chicken wings

- not a complete food

- high risk of constipation/irritated bowls from the high mineral content

its in no way a complete meal, why suggest this instead of chicken carcasses with some blitzed veges if you want an elimination diet? As for childrens vitamins there are canine vitamins available which are more suitable for a dog then a human formula.

As for no vaccs and removing him from all meds - anyone considered it could be a simple case of lack of oils and over shampooing?

If your dog has sensitive skin fleas can cause large reactions - flea allergy dermatitis - and the reactions can be greater if the dog already has an irritated system. I would be working on the fleas at least

Edited by Nekhbet

I also have an itchy boy and he is the best he has never been since putting him on the following things.

I recommend Mega Oil or an equivalent Omega Oil Blend (Dr Bruce's Vets all Natural is another) Orijen Dog Food and Dr Bruce's Vets all Natural Health Booster - Doggie Multivitamin!

Hope you find a solution for Rufus! :)

Edit and Malasba Shampoo (from vet)

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

I would hope it isn't fleas, as he does get treated once a month with advantage. I haven't yet seen any, but there could always be that one or two hiding away.

I do try not to over shampoo, I always thought once a fortnight or month was ok? He is an inside and outside dog, so I need something to help with the smellies. Willhave a look at the baby shampoos and try not to bath him until he really reeks.

I'll have a look today for the options regarding oils, fish oils are good right? Also in regards to vitamins I will chat to the vet or vet nurse when getting the food today or tomorrow.

Edit: And will look for the Malaseb and Aloveen as well. Didn't see the last two posts

Edited by Tammi

Kavik Diesel and Mina have issues with dry dog foods and I dont have the money or time for a completely raw diet

They still get chicken carcasses as well and Diesel has his supplements for his multitude of problems. Not much poo and they dont get a doggy smell on RC either. If you feel the kibble it is quite oily and Kreugers coat did very well on it.

I worry about feeding a growing animal nothing but chicken wings

- not a complete food

- high risk of constipation/irritated bowls from the high mineral content

its in no way a complete meal, why suggest this instead of chicken carcasses with some blitzed veges if you want an elimination diet? As for childrens vitamins there are canine vitamins available which are more suitable for a dog then a human formula.

As for no vaccs and removing him from all meds - anyone considered it could be a simple case of lack of oils and over shampooing?

If your dog has sensitive skin fleas can cause large reactions - flea allergy dermatitis - and the reactions can be greater if the dog already has an irritated system. I would be working on the fleas at least

Raw chicken wings have the right ratio of all of the big minerals and most of the vitamins a growing dog needs .The Board certified Aloe has every amino acid - both essential and non essential and over 100 other nutrients including and most importantly a particular glyconutrient which is the best known and is used to increase the immune system . Its the most bio available in Aloe and is used for treating all immune system reactions [which is what skin conditions are caused by] including aids.

The childrens multi vitamin is more likely to be what it says it is on the label without fillers and presevatives as the controls and regs on production of animal meds is less stringent than those on human products.

I would suggest that it may be a good idea for you to research the life cycle of the heartworm and the risk factors for your area and reconsider your use of them and possible alternatives while ever your dog is showing these smptoms at least.

Edited by Steve

The skin being the largest organ has to do alot of work....whatever you put into your dog will come out somehow.......if you feed an amazingly healthy diet with no topical chemical products etc, you will have a dog blooming with a fully functioning immune system.

If you put rubbish into a dog or it is sick internally through chemicals & vaccines , the skin is the first place it will show.

Dogs usually react to grain, corn, rice, wheat etc etc etc.....they arent meant to eat it, werent designed to eat it, yet most dog foods have high quantities of it in their products :rofl:

Sorry to go slightly off-topic :rofl:

Steve, the Aloe sounds really good. My girl is raw fed but can be a bit on the itchy side - no rash or flaky skin, just itchy occasionally particularly in Spring. Would you recommend the AV for every day use and how much for a 22 kg dog per day? She is also given Fish Oil caps or human grade linseed oil, ACV and a tsp of the VAN Health Booster and a Vit E capsule daily.

PS

Some imported brands contain ETHOXYQUIN..banned substance in Australia.......used to make RUBBER

This substance causes auto immune disorders!!!

Some imported brands use it, but dont label it as they dont have to..........the products arrive at their plant already laced with it, so because the actual plant didnt "add" it themselves, then it didnt happen did it!!!!!