M Poor Starving Dog!

Chipper

HELP!!!!!

Duke drives me absolutely crazy when it comes to food!

He is what I would call a scavenger. He never gets enough food. He is always hungry...or seems to be.

What can I do to stop this? We open the fridge and he jumps around stupid and this could be right after I feed him.

On a few occassions he has opened the outdoor fridge and eaten whatever he could...2 kilos of chicken necks one day!!!

Of course now, the laundry door is locked if I am not home so he can't get into the fridge or into the tub where I keep his dry food. The garbage bin is kept out the front so he can't get into it. But if I walk out the back door with something in my hand he thinks it's food and carries on stupid. I might have washing powder in my hand LOL.

He is hard to keep weight OFF. He is fed Eaglepack Holistic for Large Breeds alternated with sardines,egg,yoghurt,RMB, chicken necks and wings etc.

Anyone have any suggestions how to fix this or even why he is like this???

ETA :I've had dogs before who haved loved their food but this is quite extreme.

our foxie is the same,is totally obsessed with food.If you walk outside with any human food he will not take his eyes off you,drives me insane.One of my shepherds likes her food but is not as bad as he foxie,th other gsd is totaly the opposite which can still drive you crazy,if you give her a treat other than moist food(devon,frankfurts etc)she'll just spit it out

Thinking about it a bit more. Does your dog only do the crazy behaviour to yourself or does he do it to others as well when he thinks they have food?

My pugs will literally have tantrums when they know that my dad has food or is making food. They cry and run around like maniacs whilst he is making it and prop in front of him because the know he will always chuck them something, they know he is the sucker. They don't exhibit this behaviour to either myself when I have food that I am eating or anyone else.

So maybe your dog has learnt this behaviour.

Thinking about it a bit more. Does your dog only do the crazy behaviour to yourself or does he do it to others as well when he thinks they have food?

My pugs will literally have tantrums when they know that my dad has food or is making food. They cry and run around like maniacs whilst he is making it and prop in front of him because the know he will always chuck them something, they know he is the sucker. They don't exhibit this behaviour to either myself when I have food that I am eating or anyone else.

Nah!! He does it to absolutely anyone. If we are eating at the table, inside or outside, I keep a water spray bottle with me. He hates that. So if he comes near the table I just pick up the spray bottle and he goes away. I feel mean but he drives us nuts.

My father in law would feed him from the table. One day he went to give him a piece of sausage so I squirted him :) Unfortunately he's not as easy to train as a GSD :wave:

Edited by GSD Mum

Guest june.andnovas

too many carbs?

are you feeding him a lot of food that fills his belly RIGHT up? dogs need to be stuffed with food, then they can digest extra good. in their natural environment they eat as much as possible as they don't know when there next dinner will be.

also read that it is a very good idea only to feed your dog (2 years plus) once a day and about 5/6 times a week, skipping a day or two is very very natural and the dog will thank you with extra good health.

reading about it now, makes so much sense. most of us are doing the whole raw feeding but you just need to go that little but further by feeding once a day and 5/6 meals per week. dogs need to fast atleast once a week!

too many carbs?

are you feeding him a lot of food that fills his belly RIGHT up? dogs need to be stuffed with food, then they can digest extra good. in their natural environment they eat as much as possible as they don't know when there next dinner will be.

also read that it is a very good idea only to feed your dog (2 years plus) once a day and about 5/6 times a week, skipping a day or two is very very natural and the dog will thank you with extra good health.

reading about it now, makes so much sense. most of us are doing the whole raw feeding but you just need to go that little but further by feeding once a day and 5/6 meals per week. dogs need to fast atleast once a week!

I have to watch how much I feed him cause he puts weight on so easily.

Puggy Puggy suggested vegies to fill him up a bit more and they are low cal so we are going to try this and see how he goes.

our foxie is the same,is totally obsessed with food.If you walk outside with any human food he will not take his eyes off you,drives me insane.One of my shepherds likes her food but is not as bad as he foxie,th other gsd is totaly the opposite which can still drive you crazy,if you give her a treat other than moist food(devon,frankfurts etc)she'll just spit it out

I have a Cav the same - drives me insane when she starts jumping around and barking. She has to sit quietly for her dinner but she is trembling the whole time :wave:

I used to have a storage bin for their dry food with a clip on type lid - they got into that one day and ate so much they looked like barrels themselves and could hardly walk! Now I have screw top container! So I don't think it is the quantity, I just think they love food!

On the positive side, she is very easy to train when you are holding a treat.

Nah!! He does it to absolutely anyone. If we are eating at the table, inside or outside, I keep a water spray bottle with me. He hates that. So if he comes near the table I just pick up the spray bottle and he goes away. I feel mean but he drives us nuts.

My father in law would feed him from the table. One day he went to give him a piece of sausage so I squirted him :) Unfortunately he's not as easy train as a GSD :wave:

Ooo, I'll have to try that with my Mum. Somehow, I don't think she'll be impressed either :eek:

I have a Cav the same - drives me insane when she starts jumping around and barking. She has to sit quietly for her dinner but she is trembling the whole time :wave:

I used to have a storage bin for their dry food with a clip on type lid - they got into that one day and ate so much they looked like barrels themselves and could hardly walk! Now I have screw top container! So I don't think it is the quantity, I just think they love food!

On the positive side, she is very easy to train when you are holding a treat.

Yes, I agree Jemapelle. Training is a breeze. Food rewards get him to do practically anything!!! We have done TOT at feed time since he was a puppy and god love him, his eyes don't move from me but his fronts legs shake sooooo much :)

My father in law would feed him from the table. One day he went to give him a piece of sausage so I squirted him :) Unfortunately he's not as easy train as a GSD :wave:

Ooo, I'll have to try that with my Mum. Somehow, I don't think she'll be impressed either :eek:

It was quite funny but no he wasn't too happy either :) Now the kids will often tell him to "Behave, or Mum will squirt you". Told my Mother In Law to buy one and keep it at her place to use on him when he steps out of line!!!!

hehe if I didn't know what breed you were talking about I'd swear you were talking about beagles. This sounds just like my two girls and I am yet to find anything to fill them enough to stop them. Mine have opened the out side fridge too and helped themselves to nearly 5 kgs of chicken wings. I now have a jockey strap on the handle to keep them out. But they must have had at least 2 kgs each of these wings and STILL wanted more.

So sorry I am no help what so ever, but thought you'd like to know you are definitely not alone.

This is an old one.

When you are at the super market next buy a bag of carrots and toss one out to him. It will keep the dog amused and fill him up. The carrots do no harm and keep him filled up. I always try and buy the biggest carrot that I can find. Mind you, the pooper scooper will be full of carrot poo. :wave: Just keep filling the dog up on carrots.

hehe if I didn't know what breed you were talking about I'd swear you were talking about beagles. This sounds just like my two girls and I am yet to find anything to fill them enough to stop them. Mine have opened the out side fridge too and helped themselves to nearly 5 kgs of chicken wings. I now have a jockey strap on the handle to keep them out. But they must have had at least 2 kgs each of these wings and STILL wanted more.

So sorry I am no help what so ever, but thought you'd like to know you are definitely not alone.

Thanks Freckles. I feel better knowing I don't have the only fridge robbing, theiving dog!!!! WOW..2 kilos each. How many poops came out the other end??? :wave:

This is an old one.

When you are at the super market next buy a bag of carrots and toss one out to him. It will keep the dog amused and fill him up. The carrots do no harm and keep him filled up. I always try and buy the biggest carrot that I can find. Mind you, the pooper scooper will be full of carrot poo. :) Just keep filling the dog up on carrots.

Will try this oakway :wave:

yes please do let us in on the suppressant if you find one. You could make a fortune :wave:

ummm over 4kgs of chicken wings in 2 beagles made a LOAD of poop let me tell you. But near as much as an 8kg bad of dry cheapo food kind hearted person brought for the fosters I had at the time (they couldn't foster them self so thought helping buy food was a way to help out. God bless them, their heart was in the right place atleast) I had put the bag in the trailer to take to the tip (where it belongs) and forgotten about it. The beagles eventually found it and worked out how to get to it and ate almost all the bag of food while I was out one day. I was sooo worried looking at the size of them and got them to regurgitate a fair bit. Then they looked at me for MORE food :) I don't think they will ever learn when enough is enough :eek:

Guest june.andnovas

a friends BC used to be a huge fan of munching a raw carrot or two. would keep him amuzed for quite some time!

could be a great idea for my own dog, when she arrives =)

my male cat has a weight problem, easily puts it back on. he's too damn lazy!!