Feeding Yoghurt

RoxyNHemi

I beleive Yoghurt is good to add to food... Im trying to make the food tasty for my Westie Pup, he doesnt seem to be a big eater, someone suggested Custard, but Im worried about the sugar etc being too much for his tummy.

How much is adequate? I know he already loves the yoghurt (natural of course) as I gave him some on his dinner last night and he went to town on it, but I obviously dont want to overdose him on it.

Thanks

Sarah

Edited by Sarah_85

I'd probably just start on a teaspoon or two - he's not a big chap in the first place. Don't give him flavoured yoghurt - just the natural.

I'd give you more advice, but that depends on pics :love: And the fact I don't have any more :rofl: Does he like chicken necks/wings? Mince and vegies mixed up?

You dont need to bribe me for photos, Im a proud mother and LOOVEE giving them away.

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00401.jpg

I will feed him mince/vegies and rice later on, I just want him to encourage him to eat biscuits first.

By the way, he is a 9 week pup. I want him to learn that biscuits are his staple diet, with nice stuff from time to time. He is my first pup in quite some years, and I forget these things.

He belly bloats after he eats, but I can feel his ribs, and I want to make him fatter, but he gets 3-4 meals a day and doesnt eat it all (1/3 cup of biscuits) and gets the left overs to nibble on, but never gets through them before the next meal.

Im worried about giving necks/wings to him at this age.

:love: That's far too much cuteness for you. Send him to MEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! :rofl:

He'd be just fine on chicken necks, and chicken wings when a little older. Chicken is a GREAT staple food for most dogs, including the littlies. Just be careful not to get him too fat - lean is good, and slightly hungry is also good, as it means he WILL be interested in his tucker :rofl: If he's leaving food I'd suggest you're giving him a little too much.

Not telling you any more until there are more pics :) ;P

Jett is a rottweiler pup and her puppy booklett said 3 tablespoons each night. As your dog is probably 1/16th of the size of Jett I'd say 1-2 teaspoons. Jett HATED the european natural yoghurt (was the only one they had this particular day), but she does love the Yoplait YoPlus.

Another option for you if you are feeding dry would to be to add chicken stock to it, that too will add flavour and also make the kibble swell and absorb the flavour - that way she wont overeat and then feel sick when it expands later in her belly.

Sardines are also good a couple of times a week, so is cottage cheese (salt free) mixed in with the kibble.

A wing or a chicken neck wont go astray either for something different every now and again.

Enjoy your new puppy, he is definately a little cutie :rolleyes:

Thanks all for your advice, am only giving about 1 teaspoon in one meal a day, one of the other meals he gets pasta and the other some tucketime..

We'll see if he porks up on that

Sarah

I meant that the yoghurt, pasta and tuckertime are aditives to his biscuits

Sarah - I agree - your little puppy is way too cute.. :love:

I buy yoghurt by the 5 kg buckets.

My dogs don't like the sour yoghurt, but love the creamy yoghurt.

Where do you get the 5kg bucket Lisa?

Edited cuz I cant type tonight.

Edited by TrinaJ

Sarah - I agree - your little puppy is way too cute.. :mad

I buy yoghurt by the 5 kg buckets.

My dogs don't like the sour yoghurt, but love the creamy yoghurt.

Where do you get the 5kg bucket Lisa?

Edited cuz I cant type tonight.

Trina - the deli in Web Street Narre Warren (left side) near the newsagents. It is $12.50 for 5 kgs. There is also another place in Hallam.

I have just brought our new GR pup home from the breeder - and she is on all sorts of goodies - INCLUDING cottage cheese and yogurt. Our puppy - who we have also named Ruby, is also on a diet of raw mince, dry food, rice, weetbix, puppy milk, chicken necks - all depends on the time of day as to what is offered.

Good luck!

Sarah your pup is sooooo gorgeous - what a sweetie!! :)

What dry food are you feeding him? Our MS (6 months old now) started on Science Diet and used to hoover it up but then stopped. I was worried as she suddenly wasn't eating much. I think she got bored of it as she would still hoover down meats and other little bits that were given to her. We switched to Eagle Pack and she got back to her normal eating again. She has also tried Royal Canine and seems to enjoy that brand too.

Maybe try a different dry food if you pup is not really interested in the current one - Petstock has free samples of most of the top premium ranges.

Good luck :rofl: