Car Travel With A Puppy.

Guest english.ivy

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest june.andnovas

Have decided on a crate similar to a cat carry/airline kennel. one i can use for sleeping and car travel.

Though i won't be crating for car travel when she is old/big enough to wear a harness. i plan on getting the pup very used to car travel.

I'm a great smooth driver :thumbsup:

Guest june.andnovas
My giants are crated in the car, safest way for them to travel. As pups especially they tend to get car sick, so containing the mess is also an advantage!

do you walk your giants with a collar (what type?) or a harness?

I'm a great smooth driver :wave:

That's not the point. Not every other driver on the road is a smooth driver like you.

What would happen if you were in an accident and the side of the car where your dog was sitting in a harness was the site of impact? Or your dog escaped but you were in an ambulance on your way to hospital and had no way of catching it? Or if you were trapped or unconscious and your dog escaped and ran into the path of other traffic? Or if you were trapped inside your car and your dog wouldn't allow emergency services to attend to you?

A crate is a far safer method of transport which affords safety during travel as well as during any unplanned (or planned) stops. If your dog is crated in the car and your car breaks down, you can get the crate out of the car to cool it down (or warm it up if need be) safely or if necessary can leave your dog in an otherwise "no dogs" zone as it is contained and not a nuisance.

There are many reasons why a crate is the best option.

My dogs have always travelled with a harness on the back seat since they were little puppies. I put a dog hammock (you can get it from pet shops) which covers the car seats and keeps them comfortable. The leads that connect to the harness are usually short, so no scope of tangling. I usually keep it just long enough so that they can comfortably stand if required. It's worked really well for me and they travel well in the car.

I initially got a medium harness for my retriever pup and adjusted the width. It's only alst month that she graduated to a large size!!

Guest june.andnovas
I'm a great smooth driver :wave:

That's not the point. Not every other driver on the road is a smooth driver like you.

What would happen if you were in an accident and the side of the car where your dog was sitting in a harness was the site of impact? Or your dog escaped but you were in an ambulance on your way to hospital and had no way of catching it? Or if you were trapped or unconscious and your dog escaped and ran into the path of other traffic? Or if you were trapped inside your car and your dog wouldn't allow emergency services to attend to you?

A crate is a far safer method of transport which affords safety during travel as well as during any unplanned (or planned) stops. If your dog is crated in the car and your car breaks down, you can get the crate out of the car to cool it down (or warm it up if need be) safely or if necessary can leave your dog in an otherwise "no dogs" zone as it is contained and not a nuisance.

There are many reasons why a crate is the best option.

<hands you a few worry pills>

Listen sweetie, I've been around dogs all my life and have been breeding and exhibiting dogs for 22 years. I SAW the aftermath of a major accident involving dogs about 5 years ago and I changed all of my transport practices then. Until then, I was oblivious to the possibilities.

Haven't you ever heard the saying "better to be safe than sorry"?

Surely you Jest :rofl:

If we did that, then there would be no need for worry pills :wave:

I know, I know. We're just meant to carry on oblivious and then moan when something goes wrong because nobody warned us that it could happen! *sigh*

Dare I warn them about the dangers of bloat with a large breed of dog or am I worrying unneccessarily about that too? :rofl:

Guest june.andnovas

Listen sweetie, I've been around dogs all my life and have been breeding and exhibiting dogs for 22 years. I SAW the aftermath of a major accident involving dogs about 5 years ago and I changed all of my transport practices then. Until then, I was oblivious to the possibilities.

I have been around dogs all my life too.

I totally understand that there are retards out there who drive high powered cars and i could be killed when i jump into my car tomorrow ... so could you.

that is WHY i have started this thread, to work out the best option for car travel with a puppy.

and I have. I am going to crate the pup until she is big and ugly enough to behave in a harness. If you see my post in general I have spent countless hours reading on how to bring up a pup correctly and rule out any problems in the future and i have the confidence that i can train my dog to behave in the car. The least can be said for MANY puppy owners.

Dare I warn them about the dangers of bloat with a large breed of dog or am I worrying unneccessarily about that too? :wave:

Oh no im sure they know how to tube a dog, and understand every minute counts right?

save your fingers, i have a feeling this one will never learn.

Guest june.andnovas

edit - now i understand that thread that was made about people who have been around this message board for quite some time being nasty and unhelpful to newbies.

we are here for a reason, so be helpful and not so damn picky.

congrats on being the 'perfect' dog owner who knows everything there is to know.

Edited by june.andnovas

Guest june.andnovas
Dare I warn them about the dangers of bloat with a large breed of dog or am I worrying unneccessarily about that too? :wave:

Oh no im sure they know how to tube a dog, and understand every minute counts right?

save your fingers, i have a feeling this one will never learn.

this one? I guess you're referring to myself? Get your facts straight about people first.

edit - now i understand that thread that was made about people who have been around this message board for quite some time being nasty and unhelpful to newbies.

congrats on being the 'perfect' dog owner who knows everything there is to know.

Help and advice has been offered, by many experienced dog people, and from experienced people who have/had giant breeds.

No one is perfect, and none of us have implied we are.

Handing out worry pills, won't win you any brownie points

Hang about...you're the one who started to get nasty with the little crack about worry pills.

But whatever.....you obviously know what you're doing which is why you are asking so many questions. :wave:

This is a public forum so those of us who read it are as entitled to post as you are. If you don't like the replies, then don't read them, put us on ignore, or just don't respond. It's your choice to accept what you are offered or not. But just as you are not willing to accept the responses, there are people out there who are.

Good luck. Hope all goes well with your puppy.

Guest june.andnovas

it's friday ... the worry pills was a joke.

i just suck at jokes and posting .. by the looks of it.

I'm asking questions that I'm still unsure of. As I've said earlier, I don't talk a lot in real life, utter shit upbringing and I'm not so grand at wording things. Life sucks badly at the moment and I'm trying so hard to make friends here but it just doesn't seem to be working.

always seem to be typing the 'wrong things'.

I would do anything to make a few friends and for people to stop pulling the mickey from what I'm posting ...

Edited by june.andnovas

Have decided on a crate similar to a cat carry/airline kennel. one i can use for sleeping and car travel.

Though i won't be crating for car travel when she is old/big enough to wear a harness. i plan on getting the pup very used to car travel.

I'm a great smooth driver :(

That's all very well but if you get one that gets car sick, that's it. All the driving in the world isn't going to change whether your dog gets sick or not. I've had a Rotti who threw up everywhere in the car even though he was driven around from a young age.

Just lighten up, relax and enjoy your dog. Accept that everything cannot be rigidly planned and go in to it with an open mind.