Alternative Therapists Perth

jodie1

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can recommend some alternative therapists in Perth who could assist in the recovery of my boys spinal trauma?

We are currently doing Hydrotherapy twice a week which is doing wonders for him - however he is still on prednisone daily and each time we try to reduce the dose he seems to have a bit of a relapse & start limping again. :laugh:

Back to the vets we go & up the dose again slightly for a couple of weeks then try & reduce again. He improves almost instantly when he is on the higher dose.

Would really love to get him off the pred asap & thought that maybe acupuncture, bowen or even chiro might assist his recovery.

Has anyone had success with alternative therapy for a similar type of injury?

Guest june.andnovas

i highly recommend Dr Claire Middle.

expect to pay more for a consult (quite a long consult too) but you will come out a happy pair. she listens very well and knows most of what is to be known about canines ... naturally.

Ptolomy put me onto a fabulous vet who does acupuncture and can recommend a doggy chiro in South Perth as well, perhaps PM her for the details re the latter (I can't remember the details other than Liz Franks? in South Perth), I will PM you re the former.

I have tried lots of different treatments for Scoota and spent big $. For us I have had the most success with accupuncture and have found a wonderful vet who operates from her back yard in Shelley (the same one ArtyFarty goes to). She will not only do accupuncture on the kids but also do usual vet things for cost price, and the best part is as you leave she give you a big hug :laugh:

http://www.claremiddle.com/

she has a great reputation, uses traditional and alternative therapy.

i highly recommend Dr Claire Middle.

expect to pay more for a consult (quite a long consult too) but you will come out a happy pair. she listens very well and knows most of what is to be known about canines ... naturally.

Thanks Rusky & june.andovas

I remember coming accross her website ages ago when I was looking for alt therapy for my old diabetic GR, unfortunately he passed away before we got to see her:( and I had lost her details.

Ptolomy put me onto a fabulous vet who does acupuncture and can recommend a doggy chiro in South Perth as well, perhaps PM her for the details re the latter (I can't remember the details other than Liz Franks? in South Perth), I will PM you re the former.

I have tried lots of different treatments for Scoota and spent big $. For us I have had the most success with accupuncture and have found a wonderful vet who operates from her back yard in Shelley (the same one ArtyFarty goes to). She will not only do accupuncture on the kids but also do usual vet things for cost price, and the best part is as you leave she give you a big hug :laugh:

Thanks ArtyFarty & Ptolomy - she sounds great too!

I've read lots of great things regarding acupuncture for spinal trauma.

Can I ask what condition she treated Scoota for with acupuncture Ptolomy?

Also Dugan is only 6.5 months old and full of beans - I don't quite know how he's gonna go sitting still for the treatment! :scared: - Does it take long & is there any pain associated with the procedure?

Scoota is one of my obedience/agility dogs, who I describe like trying to drive a high performance vehicle in a 60km/hr zone, who 18 months ago, jumped up to get a teddy bear and his back end collapsed. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and looking back he was probably sore for 2 months prior to this happening - but I just didn't pick it. His injury was initially muscle/ligament related. When he is sore - his back is roached, he sits squiffy and takes very short stumpy steps at the rear. When checking his spine - we find the normal bounce who should get and then we hit rock where there is no bounce - this is usually where he is sore and where Deb manipulates or needles if needed.

Does treatment take long - hmmm Deb doesn't rush you - she will close the gate and let the dog off lead and she will watch it move and ask you questions and make comments. She will then give the dog a physical and will then tell you what she thinks. She will also tell you if she thinks she cannot help your dog as well. I am usually there for 60-90 minutes and there is no way she would expect the dog to sit still for any length of time, but they just do!

Does it hurt - hmmm I would lie if I said no. Depending on where she is needling - the dogs don't like it and sometimes will stand for the full 30 minutes because they are too scared to move. Othertimes they just lay down and are not bothered. Last night Scoota was manipulated and he squealled (he doesn't normally) - but he has been extra sore and this morning he is moving really well.

There are two Bowen Therapists I would recommend

Jill Hardy (comes to you sometimes) and Tracey Hockley (Jandakot), her husband Len does Humans :scared:

If you would like the details PM me and I will pass them on.

I show a Golden that has had a back injury for quite a while, at 8 y/o Jill treated him, and after treatments he can sail around the ring with no problems.

She said if he had been worked on when he was younger, he may not have to have regular treatments (He has seen chiros, physios etc but they never fixed it, and his owner had never heard of Bowen until I told her about it, after seeing how well it had worked on other dogs, and myself!!!)

There are two Bowen Therapists I would recommend

Jill Hardy (comes to you sometimes) and Tracey Hockley (Jandakot), her husband Len does Humans :scared:

If you would like the details PM me and I will pass them on.

I show a Golden that has had a back injury for quite a while, at 8 y/o Jill treated him, and after treatments he can sail around the ring with no problems.

She said if he had been worked on when he was younger, he may not have to have regular treatments (He has seen chiros, physios etc but they never fixed it, and his owner had never heard of Bowen until I told her about it, after seeing how well it had worked on other dogs, and myself!!!)

Thanks Sarah - Have PM you

The thing is these things arent once & awhile type deals.My dogs go every 2 months or more if needed.

Its about maintaining whats there all the time not when its broken

I would like to start professional maintenance on my young dogs as you say before it's broken but don't know who is best for this as there are several names coming up. I'd like to get spine and muscles checked. Any suggestions appreciated?