New Lense/s For Christmas Wish List

BC4ME

Hi Everyone

I have a Nikon D60 (with the twin lense kit) and only starting to get the hang of how to use if properly (even though I don't totally understand all the focal lengths and things) but I can get good shots. I am wanting to get new lense/s for Christmas but I am unsure of what type of lense/s I want.

I shoot a lot of long distance movement shots (ie across the rings at dog shows, agility etc), birds in trees etc. I also like doing close up work, macro I think it's called (ie bugs, flowers etc) and maybe some portait work (my daughter has a dance school so lots of kids in costumes).

I was talking to a photographer and he said that I should think about getting an external flash unit for night photography as well but I have no idea where to start there. :)

On a great note hubby likes to spoil me so budget it not a great worry (gotta love that man) :):confused:

So what should I put on the Christmas wish list. :)

I plan on buying myself this for Xmas. :confused: (I dont have myself a sugar daddy yet :) ) Prob be ideal for you and what you want? I have had a play on it and it's a nice lens. Esp if money is no object for you, might be a good start.

Lens

Edited by Rocco1

I plan on buying myself this for Xmas. :confused: (I dont have myself a sugar daddy yet :) ) Prob be ideal for you and what you want? I have had a play on it and it's a nice lens. Esp if money is no object for you, might be a good start.

Lens

That's what I would have recommended.

I plan on buying myself this for Xmas. .... Lens /quote]

Half your luck, out of my range just now. Don't you love Rockwell though, good on you for putting his site up. Isn't his "recommended cameras" section a hoot. Maybe just put that link to everyone who says "what should I get". No wonder so many of the self-appointed experts on DPReview get mad at him, he does it good, makes me laugh.

:( OMG what a great lense I know my loving OH would pay that but I don't think I am good enough yet to have a lense of that quality :o

What others lense/s would you recommend. :)

I've been researching the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED lense. I've read some good and bad things about it does anyone have this lense?

:(

:( OMG what a great lense I know my loving OH would pay that but I don't think I am good enough yet to have a lense of that quality :o

What others lense/s would you recommend. :)

I've been researching the Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF ED lense. I've read some good and bad things about it does anyone have this lense?

:(

Good grief if he is happy to buy it say thank you how wonderful and put it on the camera. Why restrict yourself to lesser if you can afford better: your photography skills are not going to progress any quicker by denying yourself the best gear you can afford. And that lens will still be fantastic if and when you upgrade your camera (not that you need to) to a D90 or D3 or whatever.

For other recommended lenses: for the dancers better to look at one or two prime lenses rather than zooms (with an f1.4 aperture) for stopping action in lower light. Say a 50mm and an 85mm. Both terrific portrait and full-body size capability.

With the 70-300 I'd say no, not alongside the first recommendation, just not as good, and again why settle for less when you don't have to. And if your super husband has any change left, one or two Nikon speed-lights. And a decent tripod and head. And a good camera bag to hold the lot, not a tiddley bag.

I agree, never skimp on glass (lenses) when you have the cash. Especially when there is a lens that meets all of your needs beautifully, so you will actually use it all the time.

The downside of this lens is the bulk and weight, of course. The review posted does link you to an alternative and it might sit better with you. But really, you'll end up with this lens someday, so you might as well start with it. And if you don't like it, they hold their resale value extremely well so you'll be able to offload it without much of a loss :(

Ooo! I know the alternative - the Sigma 70-200 2.8! I forgot about this and don't know if they make it in Nikon mount so you'd have to check. I have a couple of friends who shoot band gigs in all sorts of funky venues and also weddings in some of the darkest churches you have ever seen (why you'd want to get married there I have no clue, but I digress) ... I've been told we'll have to pry that lens out of their cold, dead hands. They adore it. And these are guys who have top of the line glass in their kits and who use their glass every day, so I trust their opinions.

I have the Sigma 50-150 2.8 and it's a cracker...especially for what I paid for it! It does not miss focus, it's razor sharp even wide open and it rarely hunts in low contrast as long as it has a little something to grab. I was a bit surprised at how good it was, really.

I agree on going for a prime - they are awesome. Make sure to get something 1.8 or faster (1.4, 1.2, 1.0) if you will be shooting in very low light. You'll pay more for them, but you'll be able to actually use them. Choose your focal length based on where you will likely be standing...85 if you are going to be a bit further away and have room to back up a bit coz it can be a bit long in tighter spaces; 50 if you are a bit away and can move forward for tighter shots, like closer-ups; 30 if you are very close to the action; 24 if you are super close (you won't be this close or you'll get trampled :o )

Does Nikon or a third party have a 17-55 2.8 lens choice? Canon does one and it's fabulous - it has IS, too, so you can handhold ridiculously slow shutter speeds. I know one of the third parties makes a 17-50 2.8 which has excellent reviews and it might be a good indoor dance option.

Flashes really open up your options, but to get the most of them you'll need a stand and a remote trigger so you can get your light off of your camera. Also check with your venue - lots of things, including kid productions, are "flash free" though you'll see a million flashes from the P&S crowd - a "real" flash will not be allowed.

Does Nikon or a third party have a 17-55 2.8 lens choice? Canon does one and it's fabulous - it has IS, too, so you can handhold ridiculously slow shutter speeds. I know one of the third parties makes a 17-50 2.8 which has excellent reviews and it might be a good indoor dance option.

Yep i have the Nikkor 17-55 2.8, and it's awesome :thumbsup:

I agree with everyone else, BC4ME - if your OH is happy to get it, then go for the best! The Nikkor 70-200 VR is a beautiful lens, i'm going to start dropping hints for the OH for xmas pressies :laugh:, though i think i might have better success with the 80-200 or the Sigma version