Urgent Help With Nikon

Lemonlime

Hi all.

I have been through my manual and cant find the answer. I have a Nikon D80 with the kit lens and all of a sudden it wont take photos.

It has a flash icon with a sqaure box around it blinking on the top screen and it will only take photos with the flash off that turn out pitch black.

It was working fine yesterday..what have I done :(

...It was working fine yesterday...

Strange. Can you go into menus and reset everything to original settings? And are you sure it is not the battery slowing down so not enough power to do its job? Only having one battery is a bit scary, they will always pack it in at the worst moment on a busy day. Do try to get a spare, if necessary another brand is okay as long as it's from say Ted's or the like and the right one for the camera. Don't just flog one battery, keep them charged and alternate them. (Same with memory cards: re-format them in-camera each use - if and when one fails you need the spare with you, not at home).

Might be worth trawling through a photographers' forum for mention of the same problem, or better still join the NikonCafe or Nikonians (or both) and pose the question there, they are always helpful.

So it takes photos but they are underexposed (completely black) ? Does this occur in full sun?

What shutter speed, aperture and exposure program are you using (or is the camera selecting)?

Have you tried to manually pop-up the flash (via the little button) ?

Edited by Luke W

I don't have a slr yet, but I have been reading all the reviews :)

According to DP review if you hold down the exp compensation and AF buttons (they have green dots beside them) on the top of the camera for 2 second it will reset everything back to default settings.

Do you like the D80? Its on my shortlist.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the replies.

I called Nikon, they were no help at all :mad

So I had a fiddle myself and found out it was saying the lense wasnt attached :o which it was!

So I took the lense off and reattached it and now its working again.

Thanks to all the help offered :)

I don't have a slr yet, but I have been reading all the reviews :)

According to DP review if you hold down the exp compensation and AF buttons (they have green dots beside them) on the top of the camera for 2 second it will reset everything back to default settings.

Do you like the D80? Its on my shortlist.

I do love my D80. I only have a kit lense and it takes a beautiful photo.

Hi Guys, just came across this thread, glad you got the problem fixed, I love my D80 have had it since last year and only now have found time to do a photo course to learn all the features it has. Previous to the D80 I had a Panasonic FZ50, Also a great Camera but the D80 pics are just a cut above!!

Impatiens, thanks for the heads up about the reset might have to try that if I get into trouble, What else do you have on your short list. I went with Nikon after a long drawn out battle between the D80 and the Canon 400. Ive always loved the Nikons and after a lot of reasearch decided the D80 was the one for me, and my budget, especially since it is my first slr.

I too have the D80 and love it... with the 18-55 and 55-200 VR lenses.

Just started a photography course and learning all there is to improve on the photos of Aubrey and the rest of my world.... its a great camera!

Ha thats funny last night i just done the second night of the photo course im doing. I have learnt so much in the two nights so far. my course goes for one night a week for 3 hours for 10 weeks. We are learning all about how to use the camera properly and photo shop. I am absolutley loving it, Ive always been so keen on photography but never really knew what I was doing :confused: So as a result Im loving my camera even more so, it is awesome. Hope its ok to pop a couple of pics here, there were just taken in Automatic mode, (pre course) now I actually know what Im doing. The photos sections of Dol are so fantastic as is the rest of the forum but I love to learn about photography and was wrapped with this thread when I found it!!

This is my tomboy girl Tully, being very bold with the cliff edge. Looks scary but it is not a sheer cliff edge there is a ledge down a bit further that isnt in the photo

DSC_0424.jpg

This is My georgous girl Lacy, I cant wait to learn more photoshop so I can figure out how to get rid of back grounds, I had a friend have a go at this and she did a great job but id love to learn how to do it myself

IMG_0139.jpg

Lacy3.jpg

Another two of Lacy

DSC_0518.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

This Is my baby boy Bronson (not so baby any more) he is 9 months old now, he was 9 weeks old in this pic

DSC_0069.jpg

This is my older boy Cooper Jay he is 2 and half now

DSC_0176.jpg

I love this one of him I he was standing up a hill and looking at some sheep over inthe next paddock.

DSC_0154.jpg

This was one of the first pics I took with the D80, I like this one too

DSC_0128.jpg

Another of Bronson, a lot older here, let me tell you i was very reluctant to take my D80 to the beach, I was gaurding it with my life!! I usually take my camera I had before the nikon (a panasonic FZ50 also an awesome camera!!)to places like that but I really wanted to take some pics at the beach with it so I did.

DSC_0667.jpg

Thats it so there are some of my favorite pics so far from my D80, I havent really taken anything else apart from the dogs, come to think of it I dont shoot much else apart from the dogs :o photography and dogs what more can a girl want!! :o

I was wondering could anyone else with a D80 post some of thier pic on here or maybe direct me to the best place to look at some other dolers pics with specific cameras. Hope it is ok to post these pics here.

Thanks guys Barb

Impatiens, thanks for the heads up about the reset might have to try that if I get into trouble, What else do you have on your short list. I went with Nikon after a long drawn out battle between the D80 and the Canon 400. Ive always loved the Nikons and after a lot of reasearch decided the D80 was the one for me, and my budget, especially since it is my first slr.

tlc, great photos. :confused: Though how could you go wrong with such cute models!

I've been trying to decide between the Nikon D80, D60 and the Canon 40D and I have just added the

50D and the D90 to the list. I like the size of the D60 but prefer having the control buttons on the outside of the camera, not trawling through menus all the time. At the moment I am leaning towards the D90.

Now, if I can just win Lotto this weekend....