Girly Bits - Sorry

Kyra

Well as some of you know my nan passed away last night & I have taken on her dog Rosie.

I was wondering if her girly bits are normal as they look somewhat offish to me :) it also looks like there's a bit of blood in there, now I'm unsure if this dog is sterilised or not & will be finding out tomorrow at the vet but I can't help but think something is strange about her bits.

Could you please tell me if this looks normal to you or not - she's 12 years old. Thanks :mad

d5opt.jpg

Um is the photo upside down?

Looks pretty ok to me for a 12 year old bitch. Just looks like the skin has pigmentation.

If she is coming on heat then they are probably swollen and if you get a tissue and wipe the area you will soon be able to tell if she is coming on heat or not.

No the photo isn't upside down, why's that? :)

So if I wipe the area & there's blood... does that mean she's coming into heat or something is wrong? sorry I've never had to do this before.

Thank you.. just wiped and there's blood. Will speak to the vet about what he thinks regarding desexing or leaving her as she is because of her age.

Would it be safe to have her done at this stage of her life?

Thank you.. just wiped and there's blood. Will speak to the vet about what he thinks regarding desexing or leaving her as she is because of her age.

Would it be safe to have her done at this stage of her life?

There is always a risk with any surgery under GA, and obviously the risk is increased in older dogs - even more so if they have a heart murmur. Have a chat to your vet, he/she will be able to assess the old girl and give you an idea about whether they'd be comfortable spaying her at this age :)

Mmm you are in for three weeks of bleeding if she just started. Might be useful to get some doggy pants and put pads in them to keep your furniture clean. You just take them off every time they go outside.

If the vet thinks it would be ok to spay her at this age they will at least wait 3 weeks or so after she has come off heat so that all of the swelling can go down. If they desex whilst a dog is on heat or just come off heat things are still swollen and it makes it a much harder and more traumatic operation.

What breed of doggy is she?

Her girly bits look like my mums little rescue girl who is getting on in years. My mums dog was desexed late in life when rescued, after coming on heat.

She looks a sweet little girl. Sorry for the loss of your Gran. I hope you are okay, and I hope the little girl dog does not miss your Gran too much. :)

When mine have been on heat I just buy a really cheap pair of girls knickers size 1 or 2.

Then I cut a hole for the tail and pop in pad and problem solved. Just don't forget to change often.

I used to have a couple of pair and would rotate them just handwashing them daily.