Before And After Thread

Ashanali

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I would ask in here. This guy is one of my hero's in photography, huge admire of his work. How does he get that "cartoon" look on his images? I know alot is PS with backgrounds etc. But the people look surreal.

Matt Hoyle

quite possibly HDR, hard to say for sure though. There are two programs that I have used to do HDRs. PS from CS3 on can do them from three or more different exposures. so you can use one raw and just open it three times with three different exposure settings. then there is Photomatix Pro. it will do it from one raw and make three exposures for you. Photoshop seems to do a more realistic job and photomatix allows people to go nuts and everything looks like it is covered in cling wrap. this can be good or bad. this is an example of it

Edited by Chloes Dad

I thought I would ask in here. This guy is one of my hero's in photography, huge admire of his work. How does he get that "cartoon" look on his images? I know alot is PS with backgrounds etc. But the people look surreal.

Matt Hoyle

They look like variations on the "Dragan" effect. A technique popularized by Andrez Dragan.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Andrzej+Dragan

Edited by Luke W

Matt Hoyle

I was at the Sydney PMA APPA judging in 2004 when Matt Hoyle's image (the one under 'icebergs') scored 99 out of a possible 100. The room erupted then one of the judges asked, 'now that the judging of this image has finished, is the photographer in the room?' and this modest little man stood up and the cheer that went up was unebeleivable. It actually left a tear in my eye.

A friend of mine was one of the students who was changing the images that went up for judging (off topic but sort of bizzare with the timing, this same friend has been working in the UK for the last couple of years and is currently back here renewing her visa and she happened to go out and shoot a wedding with OH just yesterday... then this topic pops up.) Anyway, I digress... back then you had to have a small print of the unedited file on the back of the competition entry. She was telling me that the original was so uninspiring she was simply in awe of the PS work that he had done to produce such an awesome result.

To answer your question, any number of techinques could have been used (I dare say Matt has his own methods). I am also a fan of his work and feel that it is a blend of tonal contrast/HDR techniques or dragan effect and smoothing techniques as well as playing around with saturation and vibrancy.

Another photographer you would like would be Damien Bredburg http://www.bergandwest.com.au/ or even Michael Cook (a relatively new photographer on the scene with some awesome work) http://www.michaelcookphoto.net.au/

You might also want to check out this website for some awesome photography www.savvystudios.com.au

*snicker*

:rofl:

(if you notice, we use the same website people as Matt Hoyle. They are brilliant templates for showcasing photographers)

Edited by Ashanali

Am I not mistaken that Matt was a ex CD turned world class photographer? I guess his art direction helps with his compositions. I heard he did a seminar and all the class were asking all sorts of question on his exif etc and he had no idea. His advice was "he does what works"...... my type of learning. :birthday:

Those other links you gave are fantastic photographers as well. I have seen your site before. Your wedding portfolio is very impressive.

I just watch a example on Dragan technique and plan to give it a go. What is the difference between HDR and Dragan? You can start the Dragan effect with-out having to take three different shots at different shutter speeds?

I guess it's all fiddling around until you get what you like.

Chloes dad - good job. :rofl:

Edited by Rocco1

rocco... go and visit photosig.com

It is a photo critiquing website (lots of crappy work but also some absolutley brilliant stuff there too).

You can do a search for HDR as they have a whole folio devoted to it. There is some impressive stuff there. There are also many samples of work using dragan effect.

The difference is that dragan is an effect achieved by doing this that and the other with an image. You can even download free actions for this effect (I have one loaded here). HDR is the layering of images taken at different exposures. You can produced HDR effect using one single RAW image if you really want to be tricky.

I am off to make the kids some dinner but I'll play around with a couple of HDR samples and post them here later if I get the chance. :rofl:

Had a very quick play with the effect. So many steps to remember. I didn't play around and perfect the areas I wanted sharp etc. But got a animated feel I wanted. People are so much easier to do then dogs. My Roc attempt was a complete disaster, he looked 100 years old. :laugh:

Edited by Rocco1

Been trying to figure out the Dragan Effect. Had a play with a few of my sister. Also Ralph. I cant seem to get Rocco to look good. I think I might be over-kill on his wrinkles but will keep trying. I now have to set up a picture I like with my sister and Ralph and work on it until I get it right. Take alot of practice to get good at this effect though. But it's been interesting learning the different ways to achieve it. I have never been that taken with photoshop but since I have been enjoying photography so have I been enjoying photoshop. :(

DSC_0126RS.jpg

DSC_0163DE.jpg

Just a crisp clear photo really. Depends what your after as I found the pictures were my ISO was higher gave a more grunge look. Less was more crisp.

This picture had more light but I wanted it more moody, so I hardened the effect more. I love the look as I think she looks so innocent and renaissance feel.

DSC_0059RS.jpg

Just to add one of Calvin. :(

DSC_0027RS.jpg

Edited by Rocco1