Broccoli And Anaemia

CavsRcute

wonder why mine all arent then LOL

There are heaps of stooopid things on the net.....dont feed grapes, sultanas, onions,BEWARE GARLIC......etc etc.........sorry, but it is all a load of crap............they fail to tell you the amounts you must feed of of it, and GARLIC IS NOT DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is the biggest aid of healing of all time........

Why anyone would feed CARNIVORES large amounts of anythging non flesh & bones is beyond me............so do not worry yourself...

WARNING.....Life will kill you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Funnily enough, I have low red platelets, and also have lots of blood problems, I was told to eat Broccoli as this can help with any blood ailments..............

* Anti-Cancer Properties - Broccoli probably ranks number one on the list of all round anti-cancer vegetables, with broccoli being the subject to the highest amount of scientific and medical research. Broccoli is considered a major deterrent to lung, stomach, mouth, ovarian, breast, cervix, colon and prostate cancer. The reason broccoli is an, A grade anti cancer food is because it is rich in substances such as indoles, glucosinolates, beta carotene and vitamin C. It also contains high amounts of sulphorane, a substance that has been extensively looked into in laboratories. It is a phytonutrient that catalyses the formation of and function of ‘phase II’ enzymes within the body. These enzymes have been known to remove or destroy cancer-causing substances from cells under lab conditions. It is speculated that these enzymes will bring about similar results within the human body.

* Helps Prevent Anaemia -- Since broccoli is high in beta carotene and iron, it may help prevent anemia especially in people who follow a vegetarian diet. Anaemia is said to bring about severe tiredness, lack of concentration as well as an impaired immune system.

* Helps Prevent Infections -- Children who have respiratory infections, measles, and gastroenteritis generally experience a significant reduction in their body’s levels of vitamin A. The beta carotene provided by broccoli is converted into vitamin A by the body when the body’s supplies run low. Thus in theory adding broccoli to a child’s diet helps prevent infections.

* Helpful For Smokers-- The phytonutrients called isothiocyanates in broccoli help reduce the carcinogenic effects of cigarette smoke on human lungs. Broccoli is also rich in vitamin C, a nutrient which is needed in large quantity by smokers to counter lung disease.

Interesting. I had a beaut crop of organic broccoli growing in my garden earlier this year and was astounded when my two Labradors discovered it and ate the lot over a period of a few days! OK I got over the tomato and pumpkin losses but broccoli? I was surprised but the breed tends to be very keen on their tucker. I wonder about the nutrients in it, about the only veggie they leave alone is the silver-beet.

Edited by WhiteEagle

Thanks for the info.

My Cavalier is 5 years old,has HD and doesn't tolerate the heat very well.When I took her to the vet the other day, they took blood,at my request, and the only result that was a bit off was that her iron levels were at the lower end of normal. I think she was 36 and the lowest is 35. So of course off I went and googled, :o and there were a couple of sites that mentioned broccoli and anaemia. She doesn't have a lot of energy but I think that is more due to her HD.

Anyway,we're going to retest in 2 weeks, and in the meantime a shot of cartophen and some acupuncture has made her a bit more sparky. I think it's time to get out the pram, which she loves, and take her for very early walks :(

I'm pretty sure the grape/sultana thing is true. An ex-neighbours dog almost died due to eating a bag of sultanas. I am sure one or two wouldn't do any harm, but larger quantity - yes.

Edited by badboyz