Vets All Natural Complete Mix

Shoshana

I bought some to try a few years ago even though I didn't like the ingredients and the dogs hated it. I threw it out (couldn't find anyone who wanted it) and certainly wouldn't buy it again, personally I think it's a waste of money.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything that saved my dogs life and helped raise a brilliant puppy can't be a "waste of money".

As for allergies... as I said, X, who was on antihistemines when I rescued him, is allergy-free and no longer taking anything for it - other than his natural/VAN diet.

There is much MUCH more to this mix than "roughage".

You love the stuff Spotty. I don't.

OP asked for opinions. I gave mine. I don't think its the best diet for a dog, in my opinion, but I don't think it's the worst either. There are lots of views here on DOL on what's best for a dog. I think the main thing is that people think and do some research rather than just dumping what's convenient to feed in a bowl.

Edited by poodlefan

Fair enough poodlefan - I wasnt objecting to you not liking VAN - and your post was friendly enough.

I just don't think it's fair to see VAN being dismissed as just "roughage" when that isn't true!! For others to make up their own minds about the benefit or otherwise of using VAN I think it's good that they be given accurate info.

But the allergy stuff, in particular is an interesting debate and - as with all diets - if your dog has allergies it's wise to try it for a while but monitor the effects.

And I really dont want to be fighting with anyone in my first ever posting here :rolleyes:

Fair enough poodlefan - I wasnt objecting to you not liking VAN - and your post was friendly enough.

I just don't think it's fair to see VAN being dismissed as just "roughage" when that isn't true!! For others to make up their own minds about the benefit or otherwise of using VAN I think it's good that they be given accurate info.

But the allergy stuff, in particular is an interesting debate and - as with all diets - if your dog has allergies it's wise to try it for a while but monitor the effects.

And I really dont want to be fighting with anyone in my first ever posting here :laugh:

Hey, we're not "fighting", we're "debating".. lots of that goes on here. :rolleyes:

Anything that saved my dogs life and helped raise a brilliant puppy can't be a "waste of money".

As for allergies... as I said, Guiness, who was on antihistemines when I rescued him, is allergy-free and no longer taking anything for it - other than his natural/VAN diet.

My opinion spottychick and it's also my opinion that it was probably the raw diet and the glucosamine supplement that improved the health of your old dog and helped you to raise a healthy puppy, the VAN probably had little to do with it. Many people have seen improvements in dogs with allergies when they've introduced a raw diet and many people have seen improvements in arthritic dogs when a glucosamine supplement is added to their food, many of these people don't use VAN.

As I said it's my opinion that VAN is a waste of money, it just doesn't happen agree with yours.

For me Vets All Natural Complete Mix looks like bird food: definitely not meant for carnivores. My dogs are on prey model diet (with a bit of veggies) and are doing amazing on it. I was given VAN as a sample once but I threw it out because I am huge believer that grains are just not meant for dogs.

For people who use VAN: have you ever tried to just give your dogs the meat/RMBs without VAN and see how well they do on it? It could be that the dogs do well because of meat and not because of the stuff you add to it.

It's just a difference of opinion spottychick, happens on DOL all the time, one person thinks one thing and another person thinks the opposite, it's no big deal. If everyone thought the same DOL would be a very boring place.

It's just a difference of opinion spottychick, happens on DOL all the time, one person thinks one thing and another person thinks the opposite, it's no big deal. If everyone thought the same DOL would be a very boring place.

And we wouldn't get to allude to train wrecks and ask for popcorn etc. :laugh:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Of course if it differs to mine, you must be wrong. :rolleyes:

And we wouldn't get to allude to train wrecks and ask for popcorn etc. :laugh:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Of course if it differs to mine, you must be wrong. :rolleyes:

Ahhh the good old days........train wrecks and popcorn, such fond memories :laugh:

As for allergies... as I said, Guiness, who was on antihistemines when I rescued him, is allergy-free and no longer taking anything for it - other than his natural/VAN diet.

My opinion spottychick and it's also my opinion that it was probably the raw diet and the glucosamine supplement that improved the health of your old dog and helped you to raise a healthy puppy, the VAN probably had little to do with it. Many people have seen improvements in dogs with allergies when they've introduced a raw diet and many people have seen improvements in arthritic dogs when a glucosamine supplement is added to their food, many of these people don't use VAN.

As I said it's my opinion that VAN is a waste of money, it just doesn't happen agree with yours.

what Miranda said :rolleyes:

I had some VAN given to me - read the packet & tossed it. I later found out the price - :laugh:

Oh and I think if you're really truly feeding raw, then the grains from the animals stomach would be part digested - not bird seed soaked in water :laugh:

annieK

thanks poodlefan - I appreciate that and your posts. :rofl:

laffi and miranda - yes, in the 8 years since I discovered what something as basic as changing a diet can do I have tried different forms of raw feeding (or even just "healthier" feeding) with a number of dogs (not just my own). I have worked with vets on this all of whom have been impressed and supported VAN as the reason they've seen such startling results.

I have also been inspired through this to study nutrition, herbal remedies and natural treatments so I'm not just an ignorant twit looking for a simple solution. One thing I can assure you is that MY dogs respond best to VAN and raw food (plus ACV, Flax and - for the old dog -Joint Supplement), that's NOT an opinion - IT IS FACT - so people please quit telling me they don't and treating me like an idiot.

AnnieK - it's not just "soaked" it's fermented which helps it.... ahhh forget it..... I don't think you're interested in actual facts. You didn't even try it.

It took me 2 years after joining to finally dip my toe in here but I think this is the wrong place for me to get the info I came looking for (which, by the way had nothing to do with VAN).

Gotta go and continue my searching/research. Soooooo see ya round folks! And remember, try to be nice to new people.....

PS Lotsa luck kazzie but I think you're wasting your breath. :) Sometimes people just get their heads stuck and there's no shifting them. :laugh:

I have also been inspired through this to study nutrition, herbal remedies and natural treatments so I'm not just an ignorant twit looking for a simple solution.

No one assumed you were spottychick. As poodlefan said, ask away, you won't find a better forum than DOL, there is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Laffi, my dogs also get RMB and obviously mince to mix with the van, fish, a bit of offal, a bit of egg and a bit of oils. I dont have the time to purree vegies and add lots of different things like brewers yeast , kelp etc. I find that VAN does the job for me. I was originally concerned about the grains but seeing as they are just going through the dog and arent really there to be digested i dont care, its the other stuff in it that i want. The grains arent hurting and there is a hell of a lot more stuff in there that outweighs the grains. So all in all VAN is more a convenience option for me and i believe its easier to start new puppy buyers on it than overwhelm them with all the individual stuff you need to add to a natural diet. I would rather them use this than find doing everything from scratch is too hard/overwhelming and turn to canned/dry food.

Edited by Kaffy Magee

Laffi, my dogs also get RMB and obviously mince to mix with the van, fish, a bit of offal, a bit of egg and a bit of oils. I dont have the time to purree vegies and add lots of different things like brewers yeast , kelp etc. I find that VAN does the job for me. I was originally concerned about the grains but seeing as they are just going through the dog and arent really there to be digested i dont care, its the other stuff in it that i want. The grains arent hurting and there is a hell of a lot more stuff in there that outweighs the grains. So all in all VAN is more a convenience option for me and i believe its easier to start new puppy buyers on it than overwhelm them with all the individual stuff you need to add to a natural diet. I would rather them use this than find doing everything from scratch is too hard/overwhelming and turn to canned/dry food.

That's great! A friend of mine likes using it because otherwise her dogs get constipated just on RMB. I think it's great that it works for her and for you as well. I would not use it as grains are really not meant to be a part of dog's diet, esp for dogs with sensitive skin like my one. Ultimately whatever works for you is good.