Groomers In Here Please

OhMarley

Do you guys clip these sorts of dogs coats? I was always trained to groom them out, my teacher told me that clipping them would change their coat and that they dont grow back properly. But the groomer who used to work where work gave every pom that came in a lion clip!!!!!! Ive noticed their coats have grown back strangely. What do you guys do and what advice to give to clients with these breeds of dogs? I find most of them have NO idea about caring for their dogs individual coats and have been given incorrect info in puppy class etc...

We wont clip off unless in such a bad state its in the dogs best interests or the dog is very elderly or has a health issue that agin being clipped off makes the quality off life better for the dog.

We will brush out & educate the owner & hope they come back which most do.

Many groomers simply clip off without informing the owners so they presume that is the norm.

Yes it does stuff there coats.

How do you explain that to the owners? I tried to the other day when one of her old clients came in and wanted her pom clipped and the woman just didnt get it, kept telling me 'No the coats grown back like this cause he wear jackets" i was like no its cause he was clipped! arughhh its driving me insane! the old groomer clipped everything never spoke to the clients at all so now im trying to reeducate them and its really difficult.

Unless the coat is so badly matted that grooming the matts out would be painful for the dog we would NEVER clip a sheltie or other double coated breed.

Perhaps explain to the owners that the coat acts as an insulator against both cold and heat.

It really also depends on whether or not the owners can be bothered grooming them regularly which unfortunately is not usually the case. :thumbsup:

I clip anything. I explain things first and then leave it to the owners to make the decision. Last week I had a call from a woman who wanted her two Koolies clipped, I gave her the spiel and she opted not to in the end. I clip alot of Poms and a couple of Sibes. We're in a severe tick area here and most owners take no chances after their first close call. I also have alot of elderly arthritic owners from the local nursing village that can no longer keep up with tick checks/grooming. I clip loads of Borders, Goldens and a few Labs even at this time of year. The ticks have certainly started up!

I charge through the nose as I prefer not do do these sort of clips, I prefer smaller breed styles but people still come back. Every other groomer in my locale will also clip. Personally, I don't give a hoot about true coat type when so many clients dogs die from ticks :thumbsup: From memory more than 12 of my clients doggies died last year from ticks. Lets hope it's a better one this year.

I do what the owner wants. I will mention to them that for there breed clipping is generally not advisable and that it may cause the coat to grow back less than desirable, often they still insist. At the end of the day it is there dog and they are only pets who will prolly be clipped all the time anyway. Then there are them other cases where the poor dog is so bad it would be cruel not to shave them. To many times i have spent hours and hours, days and weeks getting a coat back into condition only for the owner to not keep it up.

I usually let the customers know that these dogs aren't supposed to clipped. But i usually clip them after letting them know. Most customers like these dogs clipped as it is easier for them to look for ticks. I have a customer with a Huge Alaskan Malamute and a german sherpard who gets clipped because they have had tick poisoning a few times. they looked funny though...

I will explain what happens if the coat is clipped but if thats what the owner wants then I have no problem doing it. I would rather a dog be comfortable and well maintained than ending up a matted wreck.

agreed. we only clip if the owner wants it. they look wierd but i think its better then keeping them in full coat if the owner isnt going to look after them properly

Thanks for the replies. My biggest issue was that the old groomer had not explained in any form to some of these owners what could happen to the coats when clipped. I dont like the look of these dogs clipped however i would prefer to clip them off then the dogs being neglected. I had to clip a rough coated collie today :p god i hate doing that, but for that very reason owner hadnt looked after her and she was beyond a mess. Ill never understand why people buy dogs they are either not willing to or incapable of caring for!

We do not have paralysis ticks in WA so they cant use that as an excuse either. I have a beautiful sheltie coming in next week that they want clipped, i groomed it out a few months ago and he looked stunning, wish me luck in convincing them they dont want him clipped!!!

We had an influx of people a while ago wanting their short-haired dogs clipped! Apparently they all watched some TV show where it was mentioned, and we had about 10 people ring up that week and book in their dogs. My MIL did a few I think, and I clipped a Kelpie x and a Labrador (who actually had it done regularly after that, every 3 months or so!!). Of course, being short-haired, we had to clip them super short (usually a 10 blade). :confused:

arugh that drives me insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS A POOODLE! *explodes*

Dont let anything get to you or you'll end up a bitter old prune :o

It's just giving a dog a hair cut, not a life saving medical procedure.

I get alot of that too, I dont understand it but I just comply and don't care. It's their dog, they can do what they want. I get it alot for Poodles and some Westies. :) Very strange.

Another one is people buying designers and want their dog to look a pure bred :o I get quite a few Schnoodles and the owners like as close to a Schnauzer cut as possible, looks ridiculous IMO.

One of my regular Schnoodle owners called yesterday to say they brought a Schnauzer :o Although she's from a pet shop. At least they got half the message :confused:

I try and not get the giggles sometimes its really hard... i have one dog that comes in its a poodle x lhasa x something he's a great dog and the instructions are as follows:

Poodle feet

Feather duster tail

Schnauzer head

Bell ears

Boof on top of head

short around penis area

the best part is it comes with a diagram.... the guy draws a picture and has arrows going to each part with those descriptions... the best part about the diagram is that is looks NOTHING like his dog NOTHING! Its looks like a ginger bread man. I love getting those pictures i have a stash of them now they always set me off into giggle-hysteria.. ahh i love those interesting clients...

Poor dog though he looks HILARIOUS ... Ive tried to not make him look like a walking joke but with those instructions its impossible...

On the note of short haired dogs ive had at least 4 people come in with short haired jrt wanting them clipped :laugh: