I Think Hamlet Has It :(

.... Am guessing , only, of course .

Yesterday- I had to wash my beast ,as he rolled in something putrid. (first bath in months)

It was late afternoon- I used a watering can & warm water- did his A.Glands,then a quick rinse with teh hose- a towel rub, then he ran around for a while (had been off after bunnies beforehand)

This morning, he was a bit clingier than normal- and a bit more vocal.

Now- he came to greet me and the tail is still able to be wagged at the tip= but is being held carefully- can't be raised to proudly flag like normal, and is causing quite a bit of discomfort. He will race around, then squeak, and look at his tail.

I can probe around his anus etc without a problem, but he doesn't like me touching the tail base :happydance2:

Having never seen this - what with the racing around, then the sudden chill from washing (I left him outside to dry) perhaps this is it ?

I will now bring him in and give him a hot water bag on his bum, and a half dispirin... and let him settle, I think.

Bugga:(

We are going to town Thursday- so if it gets worse he will have to come too.

Thanks- as I said- guessing only- but he is a cocker sp. X , male, about 6 yo.. and it seems a big coincidence that he was washed 24 hrs ago ..

he is now lying on his bed, with a hot wheatbag on his bum... he has had some food- appetite is FINE!!..

It's going to be a long 2 days/2 weeks, whatever :happydance2:

Poor Hamlet.

It happened to us with Beanie, our Lab x GR x GSD x Pointer after a bath. It took a full two weeks for her tail to go back to its normal windmill self. Like Hamlet, she didn't wnat us touching it and it seemed painful when she sat.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/coldtail.html this is a link to info that someone posted on my thread when I was worried sick.

It will get better. Give poor Hamlet a hug from me, but not near the tail.

Unlike Hamlet- he has put himself to bed- in my room! he has a bed under the kitchen table,and on teh couch- but he has spat the dummy and gone to his proper bed! :happydance2:

Mr.Wilson the cat has gone to keep him company :provoke:

When I let the dogs out at teatime- H took off around the corner after the guineafowl.... so I don't think he's dying just yet :laugh:

Have you checked his anal glands to make sure you didn't burst anything?

I have had a look , and a poke, it didn't seem to bother him, and there's no leakage, or swelling that I can see.......... ack! I hope that's not the case.......... They emptied freely yesterday,with no pain...

Edited by persephone

he had a reasonable night- only squeaked once :rolleyes: Raced outthe door and scrounged someone else's bikkies this morning.

The tail is still looking very limp and uncomfortable- but the worst of the pain seems to have disappeared,thank goodness!

he is now back in bed with a hot wheat bag..and his blanket....