How To Train A Non-food Oriented Dog?

Does he like squeaky toys? Tug toys?

If you can get him focussed on these things then what you do is before he hits the end of the lead, but almost, grab his attention with the toy and then quick turn on the spot, run a few steps with him in loose lead and then reward.

You'll be dizzy with all the spinning, but hopefully he'll get the hint.

He's so easily distracted, and doesn't seem to want to participate.. he wants to do what HE wants.

ARRGGHHH!

Have you done the triangle of temptation , or NILIF program with him?

He sounds as if he needs to realise that you are 'god'..and , for his comfort, he needs to pay attention!:hug:

It might also depend on the type of food you're using. Some dogs go for frozen peas or pieces of carrots - some go for roast chicken, some for cat food, sometimes they have weird tastes!lol Treat the food you're using as a lure as junk food - it's only small pieces you're wanting to use and should not be a major part of his diet but something really appetitive to the dog that he gets only on special occasions - like Maccas!

Watch him to see what sounds or movements really take his attention, it could be a squeaky toy or a moving ball or a towel dragging on a line. When you find what he likes the most you can use that as a motivator in training.

Edited by Jigsaw

Does this mean Aspen is hitting the ring, Shelley!??!?!?!

I agree that it might be the food you're using. With Jedi I was fighting the same battle... We tried EVERYTHING (BBQ chicken, raw chicken, cheese, kibble, dog cookies, liver treats, peas, carrots, fish (ew!), cabanossi, sausage, yoghurt drops... the list goes on!) and usually I have to change the treat during a session to keep him semi-interested. Thankfully he loves to learn so he does it because it's fun, not because a treat is coming.

Try toys, squeekers, etc to get his attention. I would be training him in an environment with NOTHING else around. Like, the bathroom or something really boring! That way you are the most fun thing in the room... Then build up to being outside.

For the training that you do at home, consider all the other things that he wants during the day. Going through doors is a biggy, the chance to greet returning family members, approach things of interest, the chance to return to his bed. I would be teaching him only that in order to get the things he wants, he needs to look at you, obviously at first for the briefest glance, but over time increasing that duration, and building the degree of engagement that he will give you. I would (if you use them) be discontinuing things that might cause of dog to avoid eye contact, like reprimands (I would also be looking closely at his behaviour to analyse the things that he doesn't like - some non-foody dogs are very fussy about the ways they do and don't like to be handled and interacted with, they are generally less forgiving than food-hounds).

I would not worry about actually teaching him lead-walking behaviours - I think they are best left to develop naturally as a result of the dog being engaged with you - if he thinks that interacting with you is the best thing to do in this circumstance then he will be less likely to pull and be more responsive to where you are going.

Yep, and now I'm in a panic! His first show is 3 weeks away...

I recently met by chance a lady with a pup from the same breeder... so we decided we'd show them together! Now the hard part is pulling this bad boy into line! :(

He's a smart dog, but is kinda ditzy... wants to look & go & do everything that interests him, and it's impossible to keep him from being distracted.. I'm going to try some of the herbal calming drops on the market & see if they help, it might give him the chance to focus more so he can learn. It's really hard to teach a dog soemthing when he pays no attention! Then try some of the food suggestions & see what I can get him to eat. He's really fussy about his regular meals too.. takes forever to eat, and then only when he feels like it. sometimes he'll leave his chicken wing for several hours before eating it.. (after not having eaten since the day before, so he's hungry! ) His lead pulling is another issue that I don't know how to fix..

I recently met by chance a lady with a pup from the same breeder... so we decided we'd show them together! Now the hard part is pulling this bad boy into line! :thumbsup:

He's a smart dog, but is kinda ditzy... wants to look & go & do everything that interests him, and it's impossible to keep him from being distracted.. I'm going to try some of the herbal calming drops on the market & see if they help, it might give him the chance to focus more so he can learn. It's really hard to teach a dog soemthing when he pays no attention! Then try some of the food suggestions & see what I can get him to eat. He's really fussy about his regular meals too.. takes forever to eat, and then only when he feels like it. sometimes he'll leave his chicken wing for several hours before eating it.. (after not having eaten since the day before, so he's hungry! ) His lead pulling is another issue that I don't know how to fix..

So I'm assuming Spring Fair is his debut?!!?!? Are you showing Dakota too?

Good luck! I'll be there cheering you on!

I recently met by chance a lady with a pup from the same breeder... so we decided we'd show them together! Now the hard part is pulling this bad boy into line! :thumbsup:

I would suggest that you remove whatever he hasn't eaten after 15 minutes maximum. If he's not eating bones when you give them to him, remove them. Leaving food out it just encouraging him to be fussy unfortunately.