Silent But Deadly Assults

Anna H

Hi all,

I'm not looking to convert to soley to raw feeding - we are happily combining mostly dry with the odd meaty bone, egg or yoghurt... but asking a quick Q for those feeding Advance Puppy to their dogs, is it known to make for a really whiffy rear end? Ollie is positively putrid as of late :thumbsup:

He does tend to gulp his food a bit (he's a GSP!) despite me putting monster rocks etc in his bowl, he is otherwise doing fantastically on Advance - super small stools, nice lean growth, plenty of energy, great skin and a glossy coat.

Is Advance known to contribute to this... or should I try another food with him? If so, are there any other dry foods out there that might lessen the silent-but-deadly assult on ours noses?

Hi all,

I'm not looking to convert to soley to raw feeding - we are happily combining mostly dry with the odd meaty bone, egg or yoghurt... but asking a quick Q for those feeding Advance Puppy to their dogs, is it known to make for a really whiffy rear end? Ollie is positively putrid as of late :(

He does tend to gulp his food a bit (he's a GSP!) despite me putting monster rocks etc in his bowl, he is otherwise doing fantastically on Advance - super small stools, nice lean growth, plenty of energy, great skin and a glossy coat.

Is Advance known to contribute to this... or should I try another food with him? If so, are there any other dry foods out there that might lessen the silent-but-deadly assult on ours noses?

I found Advance Puppy did make his poos a bit stinky and also a little runny too. It also meant his anal glands were more likely to empty at inopportune times.

He never really had a problem with gas though.

I switched to Eagle Pack Holistic Puppy. Much better.

Hi all,

I'm not looking to convert to soley to raw feeding - we are happily combining mostly dry with the odd meaty bone, egg or yoghurt... but asking a quick Q for those feeding Advance Puppy to their dogs, is it known to make for a really whiffy rear end? Ollie is positively putrid as of late :)

owwww poor Ollie :eek: good thing the other end is sooo darn cute! :(

Morty is now on Royal Canin Large Breed Junior (he loves it and I am thrilled with how good he looks on it) - he gets that for breakfast, and for dinner he gets a full chicken frame, twice weekly raw egg, daily fruit or veg as well (plus Fish Oil daily and 1 Vit E every 2 days) ... he is nice and lean, good coat and growing steadily ..... I think its been a few weeks since I noticed a fart ...... and he tends to time them for when he is in the car (captive audience) :eek:

To stop him from hoovering down the dry food in the morning we put it all into a treat ball and leave it with him - stops the gulping and keeps him occupied for an hour rolling it around the floor to get his breakfast and since he is inside when we are at work for around 8hrs a day its good to keep him busy with things like this

Edited by FionaC

Combining raw & commercial is likely your problem........they should not be fed at the same sitting.

Reason

Raw is processed quickly, the nutirents absorbed & passes through & out the other end in a healthy dog without farts, nor soft poos......

Commercial sits in the stomach for ages..............if you put raw with it, it will alsoi sit in the stomach for ages, and causing bacterial growth & all sorts, as it isnt meant to sit in teh stomach for ages, but the fake foods make it stay there.....do you get my drift?

I currently have 17 raw fed dogs that have never farted in their raw fed lives :thumbsup:))) True story! If they do , there is no noise & absolutley NO smell!

I currently have 17 raw fed dogs that have never farted in their raw fed lives :thumbsup:))) True story! If they do , there is no noise & absolutley NO smell!

OMG my dogs STINK if they have too much bone at any one meal. Their farts are deadly... leave the room ones :cheer: Actually vacating the house often seems like a good option if Poppy has just let one rip in that circumstance... and she looks so innocent and cute and all "how could I possibly stink that bad?" It just means that I have to regulate how much meaty bone they get at any one meal.

OMG my dogs STINK if they have too much bone at any one meal. Their farts are deadly... leave the room ones :thumbsup: Actually vacating the house often seems like a good option if Poppy has just let one rip in that circumstance... and she looks so innocent and cute and all "how could I possibly stink that bad?" It just means that I have to regulate how much meaty bone they get at any one meal.

Yep... that sounds like the kinda stench we are enduring over here. Ollie quite often will smell his own fart, get up and leave the room!

OMG my dogs STINK if they have too much bone at any one meal. Their farts are deadly... leave the room ones :thumbsup: Actually vacating the house often seems like a good option if Poppy has just let one rip in that circumstance... and she looks so innocent and cute and all "how could I possibly stink that bad?" It just means that I have to regulate how much meaty bone they get at any one meal.

Yep... that sounds like the kinda stench we are enduring over here. Ollie quite often will smell his own fart, get up and leave the room!

Oh dear... farts are a sign that the dog isn't digesting properly (in the bone case I beleive it is just an overload).

Time to change foods! Grains ferment in a dog's gut because they aren't designed to digest them.

Bones, no matter what kind, make my boy dog Ruger fart. Not fly, she is a princess and doesnt fart.

What does seem to make them fart is garlic in 4 x 2's. If Ollie's poos are ok most of the time, i'd be guessing its the egg or other added goodies that are making him a bit whiffy. Boys are farters in my opinion :thumbsup:

Heidi gets fed Advance puppy and we experience very little farting. Bones and other stuff tend to make her poo's runny though, so I am careful at adding new things to her diet slowly. I'm not happy with the whole bone experience so far, raw stuff seems to get vomited up (on our bed) ... disgusting! I'm sticking with the Advance, though we went to check out boarding kennel the other day and the owners feed Royal canin. Lady gave me a sample to try, and if that doesn't work, I hope she will let me bring own food.

Commercial sits in the stomach for ages..............if you put raw with it, it will alsoi sit in the stomach for ages, and causing bacterial growth & all sorts, as it isnt meant to sit in teh stomach for ages, but the fake foods make it stay there.....do you get my drift?

Do you have any links to the source of this information? I'd be interested in doing a bit more research.

I have a stinky arse dog too! Doesn't matter what he eats, he farts. He's fed only a raw diet. He farts after meat and he farts after meaty bones. He gets probiotics and enzymes but that doesn't really help. Lamb is worse.

I've just accepted that he's a typical male - farts, burps and gets 'excited' at the drop of a hat :thumbsup:

Our rottie used to fart after having bones. He was fine with chicken frames and chicken necks but give him a red meat bone and he was deadly (but he did love them). You can buy dog biscuits with activated charcoal - and this really helped our rottie.

Apparently activated charcoal (brought in tablet form from a chemist) can help both humans and dogs who have a farty problem....

Edited by Tilly

Combining raw & commercial is likely your problem........they should not be fed at the same sitting.

Reason

Raw is processed quickly, the nutirents absorbed & passes through & out the other end in a healthy dog without farts, nor soft poos......

I currently have 17 raw fed dogs that have never farted in their raw fed lives :confused:))) True story! If they do , there is no noise & absolutley NO smell!

This is really interesting- I feed my boy RC boxer and mince rabbit together morning and night; would I be better to feed the whole portion of one at night and the other in the morning, separately? Because Basil has been known to clear a room or two in his time...!! :confused:

well I've switched the lamb/beef bones for chicken necks and carcasses... he is soooo much better. Still stinks a bit, but hey he is a boy dog... and it's no where near as bad as it was when I posted this.

My kids asked "mmm, have you bought us KFC for dinner mum" ......... No ... I came into the lounge room where kids and dog was and OH..it was Heidi's fart! Kids laughed themselves silly after that. Oh well, it's a good way to get them off KFC from now on. :confused: And guess what Rugerfly...she's a girl too! Something that doesn't happen in your household it seems. I know.............you blame them all on Ruger don't you? :confused: good girl!

Edited by vjb