How Can I Make Brushing More Enjoyable?

Abby

My one year old dog has never enjoyed getting brushed. All she needs is a quick brush daily but she tries to run away and cries. Her hair is medium in length so she definitely needs to get used to brushing! I thought this would happen with age, since she has been brushed many many times now, but alas she still hates it. Does anyone have advice on how I can manage her behaviour?

You may not teach her to enjoy it but you can teach her to tolerate it.

Do short sessions and reward good behaviour with a game or treat. Little and often will build acceptance. Marathon sessions should be avoided.

My dogs have been groomed regularly their whole lives.. and they still disappear when I pick up a slicker or comb. :wink: Ignoring the Academy Award winning "beaten dog" performances will help.

Edited by poodlefan

Somewhere along the line she has found this to be an unpleasant experience.

None of mine run away when I say brushes,never have & some get jealous if its not their turn.

So if she runs & cries you need to find out why. Is the brush too hard ? Is she sore anywhere ? Has anyone else ever groomed her & been harsh ? Why does she associate it with something bad ?

As long as you have her under control to accept brushing without wriggling, grabbing the brush etc maybe try a different brush, softer ? a wider toothed comb ? a different place ? Will she relax on your lap ? maybe some doggie choc drops for a treat for brushing only.

I believe you can teach a dog to enjoy a brush, its not an unpleasant thing, if someone brushes your own hair it can be so relaxing.

Now Ear Plucking ? That one has me beat, cant make that one pleasant.

I find with my grooming clients, the ones who have trouble like this with their dog, tend to be somewhat heavy handed with the brush. Try using the same force as you would on the dog, but do this on your arm.

section the hair into small squares (like your hairdresser does when blow drying your hair) and brush each section from root to tip, working loose any knots, bit by bit. The brush is there to brush the hair, not the skin.

Make sure you are calm and happy about the task at hand, if you are not in the mood, then your dog won't relax either.

My girl hated having the hair on her legs and head brushed, and I realised the brush I was using for her torso was too hard on her legs and it hurt her, so I bought a soft cat brush from K-Mart and now use that. She doesn't mind her legs or head being brushed at all now, so it might be an idea to buy a cheap, soft bristle brush and get her used to the idea of being brushed without it actually pentrating into the coat much.

Start it when she's relaxed and sleepy and do it as part of a nice cuddle on the couch, or something.

Zero used to really hate being brushed (he was a rescue and i don't think he used to get groomed before i got him) so i tried to introduce it to him slowly. I used to get him to lie on his side for a tummy rub and i would pat him for a while, and then switch to brushing him. I would do the same thing for the rest of his body too and switch brushes to get him slowly used to the feeling of different brushes. Now he doesn't have a problem with me brushing him!

Jedi hated being groomed until I changed the brush I was using. Instead of using a crappy pin brush that cost me $20 I went and bought the best one I could find that was highly recommended by other kees owners. The instant I started using that one was the instant he started being tolerant of grooming... and I think now he might even enjoy it!

Just be firm, do short sessions and lots and lots of rewards for standing still. But make sure you don't make a big fuss over it.

A lot of it could be your body language towards the task too. If you're feeling uptight because you know that she's going to get uptight, then you might be feeding off each other.

Try and make it fun and relaxing for both of you. Do you have a table you can put in the lounge in front of the TV so that you can try and divert your energy, or even sit on the floor in the loungeroom and do the brushing there. Teach her to lay down and do the brushing in layers. If she's laying quietly, you may also find that loosely draping a face washer or hankie or something over her face helps her to learn "lights out" at brushing time.

Whenever I have older dogs in coat, they all love the "together time" that we have at brushing time. I do it in front of the TV so it isn't as much of a chore for me and because I'm enjoying myself, so are they.

And agree with other posts. Check your grooming equipment. It could be wrong for her hair type or hurting her skin. Try it on yourself at the same "weight" you'd use to brush the dog with. If it hurts you, then chances are it will hurt your dog.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have just bought a new brush so I will give it a go tonight. I think the other one was poorer quality so that could explain a lot. Though since she is so full of beans, she never enjoys sitting still for more than 30 seconds. Will try food rewards in combination with the new brush.

Make it into your special time for relaxation & bonding. It might help if you do it when your dog is tired rather than "full of beans".

I love combing & brushing my dog in the evening, sitting on the carpet in front of the TV, with lots of cuddles & belly rubs in between. I have acquired a rather large number of combs & brushes most of which Rosie doesn't like. The only ones she likes are the comb with rotating teeth, a pin brush & 100% boar bristle brush.

Rosie is a long haired dog & this time of the year she picks up lots of prickles during walks & needs to be combed & brushed quite often. She has learned to enjoy it almost as much as I do.

You could try rewarding her with attention (could you pat her while you are brushing? if she likes being patted that is!).

My dog's coat doesn't need brushing, but she gets really excited when she gets brushed. The other week she saw a hairbrush in my bag and started to get excited, thinking it was hers. :eek: