I Want A Better Camera ....not A Better Salesperson

redangel

:provoke: Hello everyone. I have enjoyed reading and watching your forum. So much so that the passion to get better photos of my furkids has been ignited and I want a "real camera". Just recently, my friend had a bad experience with a photography company...for her money she got average shots of disinterested dogs and not the prints she ordered. I engaged her dog with a simple digital camera in hand and got some better shots... Im sure that with more education and a better camera I could improve. So I went to the shop...Nikon or Canon. It depended on the salesperson. I fell in love with the canon450 premuim kit, with a view of purchasing more lenses. I went to compare in another shop (sale on nikons currently) and well he stopped and said Nikond90 is the go, saying the canon450 would not be satisfactory for what I wanted. He then went on to say that the canon d50 is the only canon I should consider. Help! I have set a budget of 2800. I want to take photos of my furkids on the move and my not so furry kids. I though it might be better to get an older model with cash left for lenses. What ideas do you have for an absolute beginner? Thanks.

Do your own research. Don't rely on a salesperson to guide you to the best camera for you. Take advantage of the wonderful resources on the internet, read photography forums, look at photo galleries such as Pbase (where you can see pics taken by certain cameras), read reviews by independent reviewers.

Make your own mind up, then go shopping for the best price.

I have never bought a lens from a salesperson........I do my own research then order it online. I have never had a discussion about camera brands with a salesperson either, I just walk in the store, ask them their best price on the camera of my choice and either buy there or go to the next place.

I'd go Canon but that's just me. Buy a decent body but put some money into a really good lens (or two). The lens will be with you forever, the body probably won't. Since moving to digital SLR's, I've had 4 bodies.....Canon 10D, 300D, 20D and currently a 40D. I've swapped and traded lenses, but now have a range that won't change and that I'm very happy with.....and will fit my future bodies.

The Canon vs Nikon debate will always be around.

It comes down to what you like, what feels good in your hands and what you are comfortable with purchasing. (I used to work selling them, I was always asked for my preference. I would then ask people, "why? are you buying me a camera?" :provoke: )

Remember, once you start with a brand, you will continue to build a kit around it so after a couple of years, it will end up costing you a fortune to replace you gear if you suddenly decide you want to change brands. A wedding photographer in Qld recently changed all his gear from Canon to Nikon... at a cost of $30,000. It really does add up!

In reality, both cameras are much of a muchness unless you really want to start researching stuff like the types of sensors they use, what bits and pieces are made out of, etc. If you have no desire to know all of this and just want a nice camera to play with, then go with whatever you want. Just make sure YOU want it and not the salesperson :provoke:

Be an informed buyer! Like what Gayle said - research.

And seriously you could even get yourself a second hand body

then get some lenses to suit your needs.

I know one guy who was always into Canon, then tried Nikon

for a short time and I think he got fed up with the cost of the lenses and found

it was going to be a huge chunk of change to change everything

over. He is going back to Canon now :thumbsup:

:laugh: I went to compare in another shop (sale on nikons currently) and well he stopped and said Nikond90 is the go, saying the canon450 would not be satisfactory for what I wanted. He then went on to say that the canon d50 is the only canon I should consider. Help! I have set a budget of 2800. I want to take photos of my furkids on the move and my not so furry kids. I though it might be better to get an older model with cash left for lenses. What ideas do you have for an absolute beginner? Thanks.

:o Yes because the Canon 50D is the latest model Canon and they are flogging it like mad for Christmas. I am getting to dislike camera sales guys, I get treated like the little woman when I go into a shop and when I question what they are telling me re lenses I get the same well rehearsed crap from them. No wonder people buy on line.

I'm sure you can get a good price on a 400D body now and then you can spend the money on some good quality lenses. The 400D is an excellent entry level camera IMO.

Its all about which camera feels right to you. Pick one up and feel how it is to hold of each type. Look at the buttons etc and perhaps check on www.dpreview.com about what features the cameras have and if that is something you need (don't let a salesperson talk you into needing say a low light feature as you may one day just decide to take a picture of the moon even though you never had thought of that before).

In the past Nikons were a little bigger and canons a little smaller the pentaxs, etc a different size again. The 50D series were hardier but being a prosumer camera it has to be (for example I have a 40d and it goes out rain hail or shine to horse events and racing) whereas the 450D series is aimed at consumers and the camera itself is made from lighter materials - it isnt as hardy but then the average person isnt going to take an SLR out in the rain, dust, 40 degree heat, etc they will take photos on nice days outside or inside which any SLR camera can handle.

I am getting to dislike camera sales guys, I get treated like the little woman when I go into a shop and when I question what they are telling me re lenses

That's why I buy online. The one time I did the rounds of the city stores looking for a camera body and lens, the salespeople all spoke to my husband. No good speaking to him, he didn't have a clue what they were talking about!

Gayle: if you mean Melb city I am afraid I found the same. Salesmen couldn't serve

suits quick enough though. Thank goodness for online research and shopping. I only go to

brick and mortar places if I need to feel/try something now it seems (unless I need

something urgently or they have a super special lol).

Edited by chezzyr

Gayle: if you mean Melb city I am afraid I found the same.

Yes, and you'd know the cluster of stores then too. They were all the same....either we wouldn't get served at all, or they'd immediately make a beeline for my husband who clearly didn't have a clue.

I don't mind dealing with Teds, but by email rather than in person.....I have bought a few things online from them and have found my email enquiries to be replied to promptly, courteuosly and with all the info I've requested.

Mostly though, I like to buy from B&H in New York.

...Melb city I am afraid I found the same. Salesmen couldn't serve

suits quick enough though. ...

Glad then it's not just me being super sensitive. I went into the cluster recently and found them pretty unpleasant. Supercilious lot all of them. We were fairly loyal to Teds up until a year or two ago when they reduced variety of stock and got rid of the qualified and clued-in staff. (Ringwood are still fairly okay).

Today clinched it, I went into Knox Ted's late arvo needing two mem.cards, both a CF and an SD. Couldn't find them. Asked.

"Oh we keep them in a glass case well behind the counter: do you know what you want".

"I'd like to look a them for a minute and compare brands and capacity and prices"

Snot-child: "Oh that's not necessary, just tell me what you want"

"I want to have a look at them"

Snot-child again: "Do you actually know which kind you wish to know the price of?"

Me: Yes, the ones over at JB HiFi.

Stormed out, went over to JB HiFi, and got me two 4gig cards at a great discount off the marked price. I'd have ordered on line if I had a couple of days in hand, but we didn't want to be caught short of cards tomorrow.

Redangel, I prefer Nikon for myself: but as people are saying, all of the leading-brands have good features. Pentax lenses are lovely, Olympus claim to be the easiest and fastest focussing. Whatever you buy this year will be superseded next year, models are changing so quickly.

Thanks all for the support.

LOL @ snotchild! The reason I liked the feel of the eos450 was that I have quite small hands/wrists. And I thought it was a good entry level to play with (currently I have a digimax v50) If I go through the eos450 do the lenses keep should I want to upgrade body? In the nikon range do all lenses have compatibility through the nikon slr range?

LOL @ snotchild! The reason I liked the feel of the eos450 was that I have quite small hands/wrists. And I thought it was a good entry level to play with (currently I have a digimax v50) If I go through the eos450 do the lenses keep should I want to upgrade body? In the nikon range do all lenses have compatibility through the nikon slr range?

yes. This is why photographers build kits and if they change to another brand further down the track it costs them a fortune. Lenses are compatible from body to body within a brand. We currently have a canon 10D, 30D and 40D and will be purchasing a 5d mark II in a few months, all lenses work on these cameras and also work on 300D, 450D etc.

:love:

btw - if you have small hands and want something light, try out the Pentax range :cry:

... I have quite small hands/wrists. ... In the nikon range do all lenses have compatibility through the nikon slr range?

First with the small hands - so do I, probably the smallest on DoL. If you like a larger camera I wouldn't let small hands be the reason not to go with it. If you like the smaller camera tha's fine too, but don't limit yourself. Most people don't agree with me but I think this big hands/small hands thing is a bit over-emphasised, and shouldn't be a deciding factor above the features you want in the camera or its suitability for the job you want it to do.

With the Nikon DSLR range - if you check out the entry level D60 (previously D40 and D40x) they are a great smaller size camera, but they are limited to AF-S lenses. There are enough lenses in that range to cover any normal use. I have the D40 and love it - but you just need to be aware the range of lenses for them is limited. It gets more complicated: they need the AF-S lens to auto-focus. But if you are happy to manual-focus, they'll take any lens.

yes. This is why photographers build kits and if they change to another brand further down the track it costs them a fortune. Lenses are compatible from body to body within a brand. We currently have a canon 10D, 30D and 40D and will be purchasing a 5d mark II in a few months, all lenses work on these cameras and also work on 300D, 450D etc.

:)

btw - if you have small hands and want something light, try out the Pentax range :)

How good does the 5D II look....drool. I just wish it had more fps.

I'll be buying one soon too.

Who knows, I might get into video! I can see myself putting obedience videos up on youTube!

Who knows, I might get into video! I can see myself putting obedience videos up on youTube!

When I first heard it was coming out I said, ":eek: oh gee, another camera that people are going to trip over themselves and waste money on."

Then I did all the reading and now I want one. For us it means we will be able to add snippets of video to photo slideshows at weddings where they don't have a videographer. We're very excited :laugh:

When I first heard it was coming out I said, ":eek: oh gee, another camera that people are going to trip over themselves and waste money on."

Then I did all the reading and now I want one. For us it means we will be able to add snippets of video to photo slideshows at weddings where they don't have a videographer. We're very excited :laugh:

I can see it being the first step toward really changing the face of wedding photography.

And dog obedience youTube vids :)

:laugh: After considering the options I decided that I would really love to have a nikon d300 (got to use the nikon d200 on w/end) Considering that, I decided that it was maybe out of my price range at this moment so it seems a go for the d90 model at this stage. Now what of the lens? On offer at the mo is the twin is lens kit 18-55 /55-20. I was more leaning to the 18-105 lens. Then I saw the afs 18-200mm lens f3.5-5.6 if ed vr. I am looking for an all rounder lens to save for better future lens. Any ideas...i want an all rounder scenery, furkids moving, portraits... Thanks for the help guys n gals.

I can help you with that :laugh:

I was asking the same about the 18-200 VR and just bought it, see my lens thread. Im very happy with it and tried it out at a conformation show for movement shots.

Anyway, according to Ken Rockwell, the D90 is supposed to be better than the D300 if you listen to him :laugh:

Im still working on the portrait side of things with it, but the range is rather awesome. Rather than have two lens's, if it meets your needs just have this one stuck on it all the time.

Nikon on Broadway I think have that D90 deal for around 1800? They are the same as online prices if not better.

www.nikononbroadway.com.au

I was seriously considering the D90, the video part would be fun too.

Thanks rugerfly...I am not very heartened by the vid mode...reviews are not good, most say its a good thing this model does great photos!

Apparently the vid mode doesnt auto focus so blur is a problem. But thats just what I read so far. Thanks for lens info as I want to start with a good all rounder lens, and save for the rest! :laugh: