Parvo Outbreak - Victoria

Jessca

Perhaps one way to stop or limit this sort of thing from happening again is for a requirement to produce up to date vaccination certificates each time you enter a dog show - or for the governing bodies (such as Dogs NSW) to keep a record on file...just a thought...

Problem is that vaccinated dogs can be completely unaffected by the virus but still carry it. ;)

PF forgive my ignorance but if an adult dog has had a full vaccination regime can it still catch parvo?

I am afraid I don't know enough about vaccination of pups (my boy was 10=12 months old when I got him - nearly 6 years old now) to understand the puppy regime.

I actually thought from talking to friends that after a shot at about 18 weeks the initial vaccination protocol was finished. That's why I was surprised to read that poor MM's dog is 7 months old. ;)

What is the general thinking about vaccination, parvo and immunity? I mean is it like some vaccinations not 100% effective?

For example coming from England we had a nasty vaccination for TB called the BCG at 13 years old, but turns out I still caught primary TB at some stage according to chest x-rays they took for something else ;) When I asked the doc they said the BCG vaccination was only 15% effective!! Why bother really in that case!! BTW I am not a walking infectious TB case, I have only had primary exposure in case anyone is panicking!! :rolleyes:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps one way to stop or limit this sort of thing from happening again is for a requirement to produce up to date vaccination certificates each time you enter a dog show - or for the governing bodies (such as Dogs NSW) to keep a record on file...just a thought...

Problem is that vaccinated dogs can be completely unaffected by the virus but still carry it. :rolleyes:

PF forgive my ignorance but if an adult dog has had a full vaccination regime can it still catch parvo?

Yes they can - they could be non responders to the vaccine, they may have unhealthy immune system, puppy shots not done correctly and never revacced, etc...

Problem is that vaccinated dogs can be completely unaffected by the virus but still carry it. :rolleyes:

Yes. Dogs are like people. Vaccination works with varying degrees of efficiency on any animals. If you want to know if your dog has adequate immunity to the disease, you would need to have a titre done. However you would expect that a dog immunized against parvo would have less severe symptoms.

Parvo is a virus.. like flu. Just because you get a flu vaccination doesnt always prevent you from catching it but it usually lessens the severity and duration of the illness.

In addition, "carrier animals" can be infected by the virus and be infectious to other dogs but show no symptoms themselves. Edited: Vaccinated dogs can be carriers.

However, I don't think either result is particularly common.

Edited by poodlefan

Well I am glad that I have been made aware of a possible Parvo outbreak in Vic .

I rang my vet and found out there have been serval outbreaks in Sunbury.

Mav's vaccination was due in September (08) but I didnt get it done because I thought it might have been one of the reasons he was very itchy last year (at 12 months) and I wasnt sure if it was the vaccine or spring pollens. I know now it is the pollens so off to the vet for Maverick!

Does anyone know for sure about carriers?

I have heard different accounts from different vets. Some say there are NO carrier dogs, only those who are incubating the disease and shedding it previous to showing any symptoms.

This site for eg says there are no carrier dogs.

http://www.2ndchance.info/parvo.htm

Over the last few weeks there have been over 30 cases of parvo in the Broadmeadows area and as Daggles said cases in Sunbury, suspected to have been caught at the Cup Day Show.

Every 7 or so years (it is a cyclic thing) a very virulent strain of parvo comes around, given the right conditions, and this year it is back.

So those with puppies of more susceptible breeds like Rottweilers, Dobermanns, English springer spaniels, Labradors and other large black and tan breeds be particularly vigilant at the moment.

There has been a lot of parvo around northern Victoria, places like Kerang, Koondrook and Barham (just over the border). Two friends dogs died of it recently.

I hope that Hef is ok and that MM caught it early enough.

To the gutter crawlers that are giving her a hard time...you ought to be ashamed.

This is exactly what "RESPONSIBLE" dog owners should do: let others know, so they can keep a watch on their dogs for any problems.

How would you feel if your dog got crook and you thought it was just a gastro or tummy bug and you didn't act soon enough..

GROW UP, YOU LOSERS!! ;) :rofl: :rofl:

All the best MM, please let DOL know how poor Hef is, don't let a few fools stop you posting when so many people are concerned for you both. :D