Swollen Muzzle

Can this be a symptom of teething?

I've never seen it happen with normal teething.

My first thought is an infection.. from a bite or something.

a retained abscessed tooth?

an insect bite?

Something in the sinus cavity?

Sounds like a vet visit, Midol.

Probably a bee.

Bastard, I didn't want to stay up tonight. He needs to go to the vet for a check up anyway but he can go up in a few hours.

Thanks guys.

(going to inspect gums and such now.)

ETA: It appears to be ABOVE the gum line, like if I shove my finger in his mouth it is above where my finger goes up to.

EDIT: Scratch that ETA. Had my fingers on the wrong side. It's above his teeth and runs up to under his eye and covers almost the entire muzzle length.

Edited by Lord Midol

A grass seed hey?

You mean literally, a grass seed? As in a seed that grass grows from?

YEp they are the ones given the dry conditions the grass seeds are notoriously bad at the moment, can get all sorts, arrowheads, spirally ones, little ones that have fluffy bits on top, and you dont know they are in till it is usually too late

We have a problem with what I call spear grass, it's pointed at one end and has spikes on it as it lengthens, nasty little buggers they are, I'm forever mowing the grass in the dog runs because at this time of year it goes to seed regardless of how long the grass is.

Pop a Polaramine or other antihistamine down throat while you work it out - might not fix the problem, but won't hurt and you might hit the jackpot. I had Tango swell up with a large lump on one side when the molars come through and then the other side when that molar came through so that's a definite possibility _ he was accidentally biting the inside of his cheeks, so check the inside of the mouth for cuts next to teeth...

Tangerine, we don't have any :thumbsup: We only have nurofen here and no other pills at all. It was tough enough getting my fingers in his mouth but I'll try and look for cuts :laugh: We're talking one VERY drivey dog here so he likes to bite :laugh:

Ahh, so the seeds grass makes. Well, we'll see what the vet says.

Dunnwarren, you can have it :laugh: I'm sick of it, the dirt has just dried so it's no longer mud but $50 says we get more rain this w/e.

Edited by Lord Midol

I love the sunshine coast. Always thought you Queenslanders were willing to share lol. Seems like you are getting all the rain and us down south are missing out. So bad here we havent been able to use outside water at all for years now. Sorry bit off topic but good luck at the vets.

My dogs respond to both ant-bites and bee-stings, on the face, this way. Usually lasts a day or two. They usually don't have any reaction to bite/sting on their bodies or legs. And I'm talking "little" dogs here!

Sometimes the area around the eyes swells so much that the eye closes/or is held wide open. If the eye doesn't blink, speak to your vet about what sort of drops(can't remember name - Nu-Tears, I think) to stop the eye/s from drying out.

Keep close watch on his breathing also, in case the airways are compromised due to swelling.

If in pain, call vet re appropriate painkillers. Other than that, a warm wash cloth seems to ease the swellling.

Went to the vets.

He is allergic to some kind of plant, but we don't know what plant so I'm ripping all shrubs out of the garden to see if its the grass. If its the grass, then we have to keep it short. If that fails, fake grass in his run.

His swollen face is caused by one of two things:

1) Bite.

2) Impacted Tooth.

She is voting 1, as his teeth don't appear to be sore but she can't be certain as he cries/whines if she touches anywhere near his swollen area (including his entire mouth) so all drive building work is off for now and he has 5 days to improve or he goes under. She is worried if its the bite that it'll turn into an abscess as it is very painful for him.

Apparently he is growing too fast as well. Less protein for the machine.