Pad Sloughed Off - Pics

Michelle3

Hopefully the pics are attached and you can see what our Greyhound, Snoop did to his paws yesterday. We have had cut paws before, but never sloughed off like this. It didn't bleed at all.

post-23693-1228520150_thumb.jpg post-23693-1228520174_thumb.jpg

He had just had a bath and went for a run round the yard, came back limping. The vet has said to just keep him quiet and bath paws twice a day with iodine solution. He is very sore, and with 3 paws affected he can't win no matter which paw he leans on really. Hubby is carrying him from bed to bed during the day and we have made him as comfy as we can.

Has anyone ever had this happen to their dog?

Does anyone know if there is a particular cause?

We have made no changes to the ground in the yard, no harsh chemicals, no rough cement. Same yard he has been running around in for 2yrs.

Your poor boy, it must be really painful for him :(

This exact thing happened to my dog, a flap of skin came off and it looked just like your picture except it was still attached on one side, but we never took him to the vet as he wasn't limping or licking it and was walking as normal. after a couple of weeks you couldn't even tell it had happened.

It only happened to one paw though, I actually thought at the time it may have been burn related as it was as if the skin was already loose, and just peeled off, it reminded me of a blister, but with no fluid. Also because he had been around a campfire at the time if it happening.

I'm very interested to see the replies.

Edited by amypie

We had a Australian Cattle Dog this happened to, it had rained heavily for days on end and her pads had become quite soft, like when you stay in the bath too long! Took her for a walk along the road and after a few minutes she was limping all of the skin on her pads had lifted off. Only ever happened the once.

We were told about 2 weeks for it to start to heal up.

It has been very hot and humid up here, but no rain for a few days, he had only just been washed like normal. The ground has been hot though, maybe it was a combination of wet paws and very hot ground...although only the dirt driveway is hot because we had rain and the grass has greened up everywhere.

There were bits of skin still attached by a flap, we cut it off (and he didn't even notice we were doing it) so it wouldn't hold dirt and catch on things.

Thanks for replys so far...I am relieved to know that it does heal up OK.

ATM he is laying on the bed outside with the fan on him. He is so sore, I take him his water to have a drink, can't watch him limping over the water bowl :( Last night he had his dinner in the air con bedroom, hubby took it in for him. Our poor boy.