Dry Eye In Cav And Desexing Question

Mushaka

Hi everyone..

Today I am off to pick up a CKCS for my mum who has a condition reffered to as dry eye.

The person we are getting her from has suggested to use chemist bought eye drops. I would REALLY love any information or details of your experience with the condition.

This dog is an undesexed female.. I want to desex her asap obviously. Now when we do foster dogs,we usually would do this sooner rather than later.

However,since she is staying,is it better to let her settle in first before whipping her up to the vet?

She is going to live with my mum who has a desexed male so theres no chance of pregnancy.. Doing it sooner is no issue to us,just as i said,wonder if we should let her settle first,then take her to the vet.

Meet Tilly:

tilly2-1.jpg

Hi l&l ,how old is this girl ?

I have an older bitch (6yrs ) who has developed dry eye ,Imo a pain in the b**!!! my vet has tried many diffrent treatments to control this condiion & finally *we* think we have found the soluion to the problem ,but i hasten to add it has been a very expnsive trip,she is now on ointment that cost $80 odd a tube & has to be administred 2xaday for the rest of her life!!plus another ointment s as well.

Dont want to put you off by any means, but feel it only right to infom you off my case ,your bitch may not have such a servere case ,have you or the previous owner had tear tests ect done ?

Our Cavy, Nicky (RIP) had dry eye and our vet recommended a dry eye solution over the counter from the chemist (around $5-10). It worked fine. We put it in 2 to 4 times a day, whenever he needed it, for the rest of his life.

post-6062-1228602654_thumb.jpg

Desexing her straight away is fine.

I have had rescues come in one day and the next day I have had them down at the vet being desexed.

Even though it is your mum that is adopting the dog wouldn't you be breaking an ethical code of rescue of always to desex before rehoming, if you don't desex straight away?

As for the dry eye ask your vet if a medial eye closure could possibly help (making the eyes a little smaller so the tears don't have so much work to do) Does she have any pigmentary kerititis?

wellllllllllllll can a dog get any darn cuter...!! We picked up Matilda aka Tilly today.

She was being rehomed due to the famalies daughter having a disability. the daughter had a hard time seeing Tilly. Tilly was offered as an assistance dog but because of the dry eye she didnt meet the requirements.

She is currently on eye drops that the vet suggested and are bought from the chemist. The family were wonderful,and even went and bought us some drops to take home.

http://www.darwinvets.com/images/topical/kcs/kcs%20eye.jpg

not PK from wat I can see,however she does have small amounts of the above look in her eyes.

Mum was so worried about her eyes on the way home she wouldnt let us wind the windows down in case the air dried them out more,so we resorted to air con..so mum covered her eyes with a cloth hahaha

My Cavie was recently diagnosed with dry eye and our vet gave us a tube of ointment called "Lacri-Lube" it can be bought over the counter at the chemist. Works brilliantly as he was also battling eye ulcer and thats all but cleared up as well. We just put the ointment in twice a day and he's fine.

My Cavie was recently diagnosed with dry eye and our vet gave us a tube of ointment called "Lacri-Lube" it can be bought over the counter at the chemist. Works brilliantly as he was also battling eye ulcer and thats all but cleared up as well. We just put the ointment in twice a day and he's fine.

Thats good news for your dog,and hopeful news for Tilly.

Thanks

Thankyou for that info ,I will look into it cheers