Canon 400d And Canon 40d What Is Difference?

dogdogdog

Is it for professional use? If for professional go 40D if its for personal use get the cheaper 400D.

Both cameras will take fantastic photos but the 40d has more features that a professional would use for some situations (rain, dust, dark conditions) and is more hardy but that again is only of use if you are usig the camera for situations where you cannot control the weather etc.

Take a look HERE at a side by side comparison, but also go and look at both of them side by side in a shop.

On paper, they look similar, in your hand they are very different. The 400D is a nice camera, an entry level build, quite small to hold, light and mostly plastic. The 40D is heavier, larger, more metal, better quality finish and much more substantial in the hand.

live view

Do you use it? I had a bit of a play with it when I got my 40D but have never actually taken a photo using the live view.

I like the bigger viewfinder of the 40D.....I haven't tried the 400D but the viewfinder of the 350D was like a tiny tunnel......very difficult to see through. And extra frames per second is fantastic, specially for fast moving dogs.

Dogsdot, go to a camera store and hold both of them. You'll be very surprised by the difference in how they feel, and that can be the clincher for a lot of people.

We have used live view in situations where we are holding the camera above our head. We can hold it up and out slightly and see enough of the screen to see if what we want is framed correctly rather than just guessing. For us, it is useful when photographing bride/groom surrounded by a lot of people. :(

I too hav been looking at buying a DSLR ! I looked at the 400D a little while back.

I was thinking to purchase at the Boxing day sales too.

So the 400D is discontinued.. ? If any1 see's one while shopping be sure to Pm me and let me know ! Any advice on a different camera is welcome :)

I too hav been looking at buying a DSLR ! I looked at the 400D a little while back.

I was thinking to purchase at the Boxing day sales too.

So the 400D is discontinued.. ? If any1 see's one while shopping be sure to Pm me and let me know ! Any advice on a different camera is welcome :)

Yep, discontinued but as I have mentioned a few times I believe there's still one at JB hi fi in Eastland. ring first and check price, I was told $949 with the kit lenses, I think I paid just under $1100 for mine about 9 months ago. It was there yesterday. ph 9870 3488.

Here compare prices of 400d to the one at JB, it's a bargain.

http://www.myshopping.com.au/PR--99631_Can..._Digital_Camera

Edited by Kirislin