Thyroid

cowanbree

I have a sheltie that in routine blood tests it was picked up that his T4 was low at 17 with a normal reference range of 20-60. We ran the TSH test and confirmed with a 92% certainty that he is low in thyroid rather than due to stress or illness. My issue is this is a fit and healthy dog with no symptoms at all. Does he really need supplementation?

I have googled it and while it tells me all the symptoms I can’t find anything on the benefits of supplementation when there are no clinical symptoms. Perhaps he is a dog that only needs a low thyroid function? Anyone with experience in this?

Low thryoid can cause continuous skin problems and also a significant drop in the effectiveness of the immune system. A dog who doesn't produce enough thyroxine won't be as healthy as a dog who is having the thyroxine levels boosted to within normal range.

I had a Dobe with a thyroid that stopped functioning effectively when she was 12 months old due to damage when she had a brush with parvo at 7 weeks old. Put here on thyroxine daily and everything improved!! Just cost a bit because she was on a very high maintenance dose.

Cowanbree, if you do a google search for Dr Jean Dodd(s) from USA, am sure she would answer your question in relation to whether medication should be started or not. I do have papers here somewhere from her seminar that I attended and she was a very lovely, approachable lady with a great knowledge on thyroid.

If I find the papers I will forward them to you.

Cowanbree, Panda is hypothyroid, he however did show the symptoms of loss of coat (the worst was his tail), reddish/brown tinge to his skin, was overweight and lethargic.

His levels were down to 15, he is now on thyroxine 1.5 tablets daily and is a completely different dog, he has lost 2.5kg. and has a huge coat. :(

Perhaps the answer you seek will be in the notes from Dr Dodds re supplementation when there are no clinical signs.

have you tried adding kelp to his food? It's a natural boost for the thyroid.

:( I had Fern's T4 tested recently as greyhounds can have a low thryoid and her reading was 15.7 within a normal range of 1 - 19. I always knew greyhounds naturally had a lower range but it is interesting that other dogs are between 20 - 60.

My Chip suffers from hypothyroidism and his only symptom was that he was overweight (although I overfed he and his brother so we never suspected another cause). He has a poppy eye also and that is the only reason we got him tested and the result was low so he was put on 1 tablet twice a day to start with. He is now on 1.5 tablets twice a day because at his last panel his level was 5. Far too low. The vet was amazed that he showed no signs of diminished health and energy at this level so maybe he is just an odd one out. Nevertheless he is on thyroxine for life and at a 100 tablets a month we now spend nearly $400 a year on his tablets.

Since starting on thyroxine he has lost over 10kg with a change in diet as well helping our cause.

You can see the difference in him on his blog.

http://wp.aucado.us/?page_id=42

Having had a dog who was hypothyroid, I recommend looking at a homoeopathic or holistic path of treatment. My girl was on thyroxine for a while, but after consultations with a homeopathic vet, we finally hit on her constitutional remedy, enabling the thyroxine to be phased out over time.