Crying Puppy

inbox

Hi all

My pup who is almost 6months old has just started to cry every time we leave him now. This hasn't happened for a long time since I got him and I thought I taught him that crying doesn't gain my family's attention. We still do the same, ignoring his cries and treat him when he doesn't, other than that i don't know what else to do. But only recently he will bark out really loud now and cry for the past 2 weeks now. Any tips?

I know he isn't crying because he needs to go toilet or anything as well since he I knew he already done the deed. I can only think that he is crying since he wants to play although I do spend a lot of time with him already.

Thanks for any suggestions

Guest belgian.blue

Ah the joys of a teenager! Sounds like he's testing you.

I have a 5 month old and she's doing naughty things she never used to. I can tell she's only testing me, to see what I will let her get away with.

Keep ignoring him and make sure he has plenty of mental stimulation when left alone. Also try and leave him alone for small periods of time, then slowly leave him for longer and longer.

How much time do you spend with your pup?

Pups can quite easily become dependent on their owners if you do not do indepence training when you first get them. Independence training should be done throughout the dogs life not just from puppy hood. This teaches them that being alone or not being with you is no big deal. A dog that is stressed and anxious when left alone because it has become dependent on you is not healthy long term and creates all sorts of behaviour issues which the dogs does just so it can cope in your absence.

You need to start slow and small.....leave the pup in a another room or outside for a short period of time i.e: 1 to 2 mins, then let the pup have access to you but do not make a fuss of him and gradually build from there........remember not to jump too far too soon or the pups behaviour will regress.

Try not to give the pup "freebies" with your attention all the time. If you want to give the dog attention get him to do something, whether that be a trick you've taught him or an obedience command such as sit, drop etc.....this teaches the pup that he cannot get your attention unless he works for it.......too many freebies can create a pup that is demanding of your attention; NILIF Nothing in Life is Free.........

Some ppl might see this as a bit harsh, but it isnt.......dogs will work for what they want at that particular moment in time

Have you crate trained your pup? This can be a very good training tool that can be used for not only sleeping in but for independence training and also a place for the pup to feel safe in, travelling in, camping etc.

You need to also look at what has happened recently, over the last couple of weeks. Has anything changed in the pups routine that may have caused the behaviour you are now seeing? Dramatic changes can upset some dogs, by dramatic I mean dramatic to the dog and not us.......it could be a new baby in the house, a new dog even, moving house, the pup may have had a fright or scare etc etc

Sometimes it can be difficult to find the root cause of behaviour issues, but there is always something, if you can identify what that something is then it makes it a little easier to "fix" the issue

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
When you say leave ,what do you mean.In another room.home alone etc etc??

What breed??

How much mental stimulus does the pup get(that doesnt mean playing but going for walks etc etc)??

What has changed in the last 2 weeks??

It's usually when i leave the room to another one, well the same also goes for when leaving home alone. Its a Japanese spitz sorry. Nothing has chanced for the last 2weeks as well. Mental stimulus, I'd say every 2hrs for 30minutes playing fetch etc.

How much time do you spend with your pup?

Pups can quite easily become dependent on their owners if you do not do indepence training when you first get them. Independence training should be done throughout the dogs life not just from puppy hood. This teaches them that being alone or not being with you is no big deal. A dog that is stressed and anxious when left alone because it has become dependent on you is not healthy long term and creates all sorts of behaviour issues which the dogs does just so it can cope in your absence.

You need to start slow and small.....leave the pup in a another room or outside for a short period of time i.e: 1 to 2 mins, then let the pup have access to you but do not make a fuss of him and gradually build from there........remember not to jump too far too soon or the pups behaviour will regress.

Try not to give the pup "freebies" with your attention all the time. If you want to give the dog attention get him to do something, whether that be a trick you've taught him or an obedience command such as sit, drop etc.....this teaches the pup that he cannot get your attention unless he works for it.......too many freebies can create a pup that is demanding of your attention; NILIF Nothing in Life is Free.........

Some ppl might see this as a bit harsh, but it isnt.......dogs will work for what they want at that particular moment in time

Have you crate trained your pup? This can be a very good training tool that can be used for not only sleeping in but for independence training and also a place for the pup to feel safe in, travelling in, camping etc.

You need to also look at what has happened recently, over the last couple of weeks. Has anything changed in the pups routine that may have caused the behaviour you are now seeing? Dramatic changes can upset some dogs, by dramatic I mean dramatic to the dog and not us.......it could be a new baby in the house, a new dog even, moving house, the pup may have had a fright or scare etc etc

Sometimes it can be difficult to find the root cause of behaviour issues, but there is always something, if you can identify what that something is then it makes it a little easier to "fix" the issue

Good luck

I'd like to spend as much time possible with him as I can, so i try to get at least 30minutes every 2-3hrs. The only thing i can think that may have changed was because since its raining, he doesnt go outside as much now. Other than that i wouldnt know anything else. Thanks for the tip, i'll be following it.

Are you sure there is nothing else going on?

Has something changed in the house? Is he is perfect health?

As said it may be the smaller amount of time spent outside, which i try to make up with running around the house instead. He is also in perfect health last, nothing out of the usual.

Its just that he didn't really cry like this previsouly even though its the same thing that has been going on. Unless I maybe spending more time with him and he is getting too attached?

Thanks for all the replies so far

Okay my thoughts you have trained him at present to rely on you

"Mental stimulus, I'd say every 2hrs for 30minutes playing fetch etc. "

Dont train the dog to rely on you.Every 2 hrs means he is reliant on you & you are training him to not be independent.

The weather has interrupted whats normal for him & he hasnt coped with the not getting his routine,he doesnt now how to deal with not getting attention.

You need to slowly take a step back & allow pup to be independent & be able to survive on its own because you will have many years to come & you wont always be able to play every 2-3 hrs,Its its daily routine & nows no different.

Okay my thoughts you have trained him at present to rely on you

"Mental stimulus, I'd say every 2hrs for 30minutes playing fetch etc. "

Dont train the dog to rely on you.Every 2 hrs means he is reliant on you & you are training him to not be independent.

The weather has interrupted whats normal for him & he hasnt coped with the not getting his routine,he doesnt now how to deal with not getting attention.

You need to slowly take a step back & allow pup to be independent & be able to survive on its own because you will have many years to come & you wont always be able to play every 2-3 hrs,Its its daily routine & nows no different.

The main reason I do try check on him whenever I can, it doesn't really mean every 2n half hrs just randomly, is to take him out to toilet. He isn't toilet trained and I take him out whenever he wakes up, finishes eating and finished playing. Although im unsure what is appropriate for the amount of time to spend with him to make he isn't so attached to me. I was worried I wasn't spending enough time, I usually leave him in his crate/pen and thus why i do see him to let him out whenever i can.

Where is he, when 'you go from room to room'? Or not playing 'fetch'????

He would usually be in the kitchen in his crate, sometimes around the room depending on if anyone is cooking or not. Playing fetch is usually outside, but I do let him roam to other parts of the house after he has done the deed.

Is it normal for pups to be crying when we leave them alone? Its not exactly all the time, but I'd say so far 3/4 of the times. Everytime I wouldn't make any fuss when im leaving the room and to be silent as I can. He would usually cry when I leave him in the kitchen going to my room.

Sometimes when I leave with the door still open he would cry, and when he starts to cry I would close the door.

Hi, need some suggestions with a new problem that has been reoccurring for the few previous nights.

This would happen all sudden in the night like, 4am, he sleeps around 10pm-12. Well he could suddenly wake up and bark a lot, loud and sometimes growling. The thing is, I really have no clue on what it is that is disturbing him. He sleeps in the kitchen in his crate and there really isn't any distractions nor has anything changed. Although I do know we have this mice problem, but I believe it is dead now, which would be the only explanation.

He would bark like 10-20times out loud waking up the whole family in the process. Also I do take him out before he sleeps and he is able to hold it in like he has been for the previous months. I did take him out the other night when it happened and he only pee'ed a little.

I'm unsure whether it is a good idea to see to him, and let him be although he does bark for a long time and I hate to have the whole family waking up. What I've tried is going in when he quiet downs a little and try and teach him to be quiet? (unsure about teachin him to stop barking so some tips would be great)

What could be the reason he is waking up so suddenly? Nightmares? What can I do to prevent this from further nights?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...