Help! Err 99

t(AD)pole

Today I turned my camera on and took a photo only for "Err 99" to come up on the screen. I tried turning it off and on and also taking the battery out and putting it back in. The battery is now charging but I don't think it has anything to do with it being flat. When I take a photo the shutter click doesn't sound right. :D I have Canon 40D and it has happened on two different lenses.

Has anyone had this happen to them? Any idea whats going on?

Google search reveals that it could be anything. Many people have had this Err 99 message appear with different problems. Lens is on correctly and it has happened on two separate lenses. No aperture ring. Old pics on the card can still be viewed- so it doesn't appear to be a card issue.

Battery is charging now. Will try it later with a re-charged battery... The shutter click sounds wrong so I think it is likely to be a bigger issue than dirty lens contacts. :D The camera is only a year old- I hope it still has warranty!

p.s. thanks for the advice :)

Edited by t(AD)pole

Google search reveals that it could be anything. Many people have had this Err 99 message appear with different problems. Lens is on correctly and it has happened on two separate lenses. No aperture ring. Old pics on the card can still be viewed- so it doesn't appear to be a card issue.

Battery is charging now. Will try it later with a re-charged battery... The shutter click sounds wrong so I think it is likely to be a bigger issue than dirty lens contacts. :D The camera is only a year old- I hope it still has warranty!

Can you lock the mirror up? not sure what it is called on the Canon menu. Sounds similar to what happened to my D70s. I used to get an error message & the shutter would sound kind of tinny. The mirror lock seemed to help for a while, but I did eventually have to send it away. I got it back & had about another year out of it & it went again :) .

Tried charged battery, tried live view (effectively mirror lock up?), tried new lenses, tried re-formatted card...nothing :confused:

Mirror lock up is in the functions menu. Scroll through and make sure the mirror is not locked up. Mirror lock up is usually used for landscape photographers who don't want mirror slap when taking photos. I've never used it but I've played around with the functions on my camera before.

Ahh, the good ol, Err99! Yes, I've gotten Err99 on a few different occasions and it's always something new :laugh: This is what I would try:

- remove BOTH batteries. Including the small one. Leave it for a few minutes. Reinstall batteries.

If still Err99

- try a different main battery. I had one wonky battery that didn't play nicely with one of my 40Ds. Works perfectly fine in my other two cameras so I have no idea what the problem is. But changing to a different battery solved the problem.

If still Err99

- try your lens on manual focus. Will it take a photo? If yes, change lens to AF and see if it works.

If still Err99

- you need to take it in :confused:

My biggest concern for you is the funny sounding shutter. I just had a shutter go kaput at me at the last wedding (thank god for backups!). It made a very bad noise indeed! It's now off to Canon for repair, still under warranty.

The people at the camera shop didn't know what to do so it has now been sent back to Canon. Pity I'm going away next week so won't have my camera, but at least this happened now rather than during the year when I need it for studio arts.

Thanks for the suggestions but it looks like I'm just going to have to wait and see what Canon do with it now.

Unfortunately, I think from the shutter making the funky noise that sending it to Canon was the likely end result :thumbsup:

Hopefully they'll be fast. They did a great job - and fast - with the lens I had to send back a while back.