Underwater Digital Pocket Cameras

Ripley

Not sure if I'll get any responses here but .... can anyone recommend a decent underwater pocket digital? I can't afford to spend thousands on a kit for my DSLR and just want to take a few underwater shots when I go diving. I'll be diving a fair bit in March, in a gorgeous location, and dive sites aren't going to be deeper than 20 metres I'm told.

So taking a few shots in natural light not far from the surface with light streaming through the big blue should be fine. Flash is icky without a strobe. I can keep an eye on my wrist computer to see how deep I am, so I don't dive deeper than the depth at which the camera is watertight to.

Edited by Ripley

Not sure if I'll get any responses here but .... can anyone recommend a decent underwater pocket digital? I can't afford to spend thousands on a kit for my DSLR and just want to take a few underwater shots when I go diving. I'll be diving a fair bit in March, in a gorgeous location, and dive sites aren't going to be deeper than 20 metres I'm told.

So taking a few shots in natural light not far from the surface with light streaming through the big blue should be fine. Flash is icky without a strobe. I can keep an eye on my wrist computer to see how deep I am, so I don't dive deeper than the depth at which the camera is watertight to.

can you buy waterproof housings for your existing camera.

Ooo, pick me pick me! I have, use and see a variety of underwater systems :D

IMHO you cannot go past the canon offerings...and there are three options:

SD/Ixus series with Canon WP housing ... if you just want to putter. Some of them have manual white balance control, I think. Manual white balance is essential if you are not going to spring for a strobe, too.

A series. My personal choice. Small, easy, AA batteries, excellent images, easy to get the hang of, variety of auto modes and full manual control if you want it. RAW hacks are also available which is awesome for underwater. Canon housing for these, too.

G series ... G9 or G10. Both are great cameras. RAW, full manual or auto modes. G10 is wider natively so that is a good thing underwater; G9 has a wider zoom range which many find more useful on land. Both of these are bulkier and more expensive than either of the first two choices. IF you don't mind the extra size and extra cash, excellent choices.

I do not like: Sea&Sea, SeaLife or Olympus SW series. The image quality when compared to what I consistently see from the Canon A series just even isn't in the ballpark.

You can use the internal flash effectively as long as you use it within its limitations. In macro mode, at your closest focus distance, internal turned down one click (on the A series)...sweet :cheers:

Edited by kja

can you buy waterproof housings for your existing camera.

DSLR housing kits cost more than the DSLR. You need to buy a strobe and ports too. It's for serious dive photography, I just want a small camera for a few travel snaps as there will be quite a few turtles, rays where I'm going.

Thanks for all that info, kja. I'll do a google.

Why not get a housing/case for your Panasonic?

We used a Powershot for snorkelling pictures, bought a hard case for it. We had

fun with it but then I sold the camera and case off cheap as I wasn't expecting to go

snorkelling anytime soon. I don't keep anything that gathers dust.

Yep, looking into that too, chezzyr. My poor Panasonic is a bit scratched and beaten up so I'm wondering if it's worth it? Not even sure if they still make a case for my older modle. I couldn't find one.

Wish my BIL didn't sell his Nikon E5000. He had the underwater housing plus strobe unit and it went pretty deep. I took it to 30 metres on some dive, no probs.

Took good photos, although back in 2005 I had no idea how to take a photo properly, let alone underwater. Here are a few with that camera, taken at around 25 metres from memory.

3124838208_f4ff61234a_o.jpg

3124838304_07197e8cb0.jpg

I just found this but it only goes to 5 metres. My pocket camera is a Panasonic DMC LS2 with Image Stabiliser in it.

DiCAPac WP-1000 Waterproof Case/Housing for the Panasonic DMC- FX9/FX8/FX7/FX5/FX2/FX1/F1/F7/LS2/FX01

For use to a depth of 5 meters/ 16 feet

Case is sealed an easy to open/close durable waterproof zipper system

UV coated polycarbon optical lens systems offers superb picture quality underwater as well as on land

Lens can be detached to use case as a protective rain/dust jacket for the camera

Material: PVC/PC/Silicon/Rubber

Size 138Wx95mm

It's under AUD100, might give it a lash? For snorkelling only - I'll put a weight belt on myself so I can hold my breath and dive down to a few metres.

My pocket digital has a Leica lens and takes nice photos. Has a good zoom too.

post-485-1229852331_thumb.png

Edited by Ripley

Interesting topic, considering not only 20 mins ago, I was talking to my mum about getting my nephew a underwater digital camera (how bizzare :D ), just a cheapie for his back yard pool to have a muck around with, he had a one use one and he loved it, so I thought a digiatl one at least he could use it over and over, not the same tpye of thing you guys are talking about but they had some cheapies on ebay, under $200 might be worth a look for me anyhow!!

Noooo, run very fast from the baggie.

Unless you don't really care if you flood your camera, then it's worth the punt, I guess. Defo snorkelling only.

One problem with the baggies if they don't leak is that when you dive down, even snorkelling, the bag can depress onto the buttons and it will make them virtually impossible to use.

Seems like throwing $100 away on a chance, especially if you're going on holidays, but each to their own. I'd rather spend a bit more and know it's going to work, know I'm going to bring home some OK results and be fairly confident that unless I do something stupid, my camera will not become a salt water logged paperweight.

:love:

OK, thanks kja. There is a Fuji Finepix with underwater housing on special but it only goes to 3 metres but that will do me for snorkelling. With the ear problems I had on the last dive I went on (12 months ago) and the blood I had coming out of my nose after a deeper dive, I could have some problems.

I'm going to do some googling at lunchtime of the cameras kja has recommended, along with another I have my eye on - just a Fuji finepix with underwater casing that goes to 3 metres only as it's much cheaper. Perfect for snorkelling. I saw some images taken by a snorkeller of the exact same reef where I'm going and I think that will do me.

Chezzy - I'm pretty sure Canon makes a housing. It will be a WP model. Perfect for snorkelling, splashing water, inclement weather and if you ever decide, diving, too. It's the only option I'd consider coz the other option really is that plastic baggie.

A work colleague just bought an Olympus pocket digital that is waterproof to 10 metres and it was about $450.

I've got the Olympus SW 720, two friends have the 770 and one has the 1030. I use mine on the beach with the dogs coz Tilly can't hurt it. Image quality across the range is not on par with the Canon offerings (or the Fujis, which are really good, as are the Panasonics, though there aren't many housing options for the Panas). The Olympus SW series has focus issues...even in good light, high contrast, no movement situations. But they are rugged. I wouldn't buy another one just yet...maybe they will address the negatives in the next release, one can hope. To me, they're an <meh> OK camera, but for the same money one can do much better.

I've been (forever) planning to get the Canon IXUS waterproof housing for scuba diving, they go down to 40 metres, so unless you are a tech diver I doubt you'll need to worry about going past your limit with that.

You can pick up the IXUS cameras pretty cheap, range from about $125ish up to $500, but the housing is about $300(!). The pictures that come out should be pretty good, and the newer IXUS's even have an underwater mode to set the right white balance, flash exposure, etc.