Turkey Frames

hopenfox

Just a reminder that butchers everywhere are piling up turkey frames at this time of year and most just throw them out.

I asked my local butcher about them last year and he's happy to keep them for me if I can pick them up during Christmas. He charges less than $1 per frame (a huge box for $5)...If only I had a bigger freezer!

hopenfox

post-6062-1230073963_thumb.jpg

post-6062-1230074065_thumb.jpg

How easy would they be to cut into smaller portions? One of those looks like it would last each of my dogs a week :thumbsup:

I would think that they wouldn't be that much harder than chicken frames to cut up...Maybe if you cut between the ribs, you could just snap the backbone.

How easy would they be to cut into smaller portions? One of those looks like it would last each of my dogs a week :thumbsup:

I would think that they wouldn't be that much harder than chicken frames to cut up...Maybe if you cut between the ribs, you could just snap the backbone.

Yeh I guess. I used to cut up chicken frames for the cat and it wasn't too difficult.

Thanks very much! The owner at our nearest Lenards served me and didn't charge, tossed a few necks in too. He was curious how I knew to ask...

Lola was excited to smell these coming through the door, I popped one with the axe straightaway, will give her half at a time as she has more than enough bone in her rations.

Thanks very much! The owner at our nearest Lenards served me and didn't charge, tossed a few necks in too. He was curious how I knew to ask...

Lola was excited to smell these coming through the door, I popped one with the axe straightaway, will give her half at a time as she has more than enough bone in her rations.

Neither our Lenards or our local butcher had them and both thought I was strange for asking :thumbsup:

It's amazing what butchers would otherwise throw out! I scored three large turkey frames - one of which Bean ate this morning as his Christmas dinner.

Below is a photo of Bean's 2007 Christmas turkey frame... he was waiting for me to give him the 'Okay' to eat it. :o

post-11976-1230161521_thumb.jpg