Groomers - How Do You Handle This Situation?

Colliewood

Hi,

Just wondering how/what other groomers do in similar situations.

Do you disclaimers etc???

I clipped a SWF the other day. He has been getting a bit on the narky side lately. (He is about 2.5 years old and desexed) I go there monthly and over the last few months he has not liked having his bum done. (no injury to the area that I am aware of)

So the other day I did the usual and firmly said no etc and he began to up the anti a little so I was not in the mood for him and put a muzzle on him.

Well did he throw a tanti!!!! That's ok I can handle that, they can do that as long as they like and I don't care. The problem was whilst throwing this tanti and trying to get the muzzle off he ripped both dew claws and both bled all over the joint.!!!!!

Firstly, I will always be honest and tell the client what happened. Even once when I nicked another SWF with scissors (completely my fault) and I covered the vet bills (surgery and all). This time it was one of those things that happen.

My question is what do you have in place for something like this? Do you have disclaimers etc???

Hi,

Just wondering how/what other groomers do in similar situations.

Do you disclaimers etc???

I clipped a SWF the other day. He has been getting a bit on the narky side lately. (He is about 2.5 years old and desexed) I go there monthly and over the last few months he has not liked having his bum done. (no injury to the area that I am aware of)

So the other day I did the usual and firmly said no etc and he began to up the anti a little so I was not in the mood for him and put a muzzle on him.

Well did he throw a tanti!!!! That's ok I can handle that, they can do that as long as they like and I don't care. The problem was whilst throwing this tanti and trying to get the muzzle off he ripped both dew claws and both bled all over the joint.!!!!!

Firstly, I will always be honest and tell the client what happened. Even once when I nicked another SWF with scissors (completely my fault) and I covered the vet bills (surgery and all). This time it was one of those things that happen.

My question is what do you have in place for something like this? Do you have disclaimers etc???

Hi there, we used to have a disclaimer on your front door(entrance) stating (YOU LEAVE YOUR ANIMAL AT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY & DISCRETION, ALL CARE WILL BE TAKEN TO ENSURE THE ANIMALS SAFETY)

I don't think there is any insurances for animals in your care, well there wasn't once.

When you have to restrain the animal with a muzzle to finish a job, try to use a wide shoe lace (sneakers) instead, a muzzle is to intimidating for a lot of animals, plus with the shoe-lace you are able to move it up & down to be able to trim the face, plus you can't get bit, it is much like tying the mouth of a crocodile.

Follow the pix below. And tie it behind the head for a quick release.

post-8666-1230544556_thumb.jpg

post-8666-1230544568_thumb.jpg

post-8666-1230544685_thumb.jpg

Edited by nicestman77

I think if a dog reacts so badly to being muzzled it should have been taken straight off and not let it get to a stage where it damaged itself. After an incident like this it will probably be a whole lot worse to manage next time.

I believe if someone leaves their dog/cat etc with you whether it is for grooming, babysitting or vet work, you are responsible for any injuries that occur.

I think if a dog reacts so badly to being muzzled it should have been taken straight off and not let it get to a stage where it damaged itself. After an incident like this it will probably be a whole lot worse to manage next time.

I believe if someone leaves their dog/cat etc with you whether it is for grooming, babysitting or vet work, you are responsible for any injuries that occur.

I agree with you that it may be a problem next time.

However when this happened in an instant, how is it possible to predict every possibilty. If we could do this for everything in life it would be a perfect world.

And the muzzle was removed straight away, there is no way I would let the dog become more stressed. I take great care in all of my dogs and am happy to accept when I did the wrong thing. That is not the issue. The question is where does the fine line lie?

rovaround thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't having a shot at you. I know how difficult some dogs can be, I started grooming where I work now by taking in all the dogs other groomers refused or couldn't do.

If the dog is starting to behave worse there is definately something going on, what sort of grooming are the owners doing inbetween?

I had a situation a few months back where I was bitten, the dog lashed out unexpectedly and it meant business. I was a little confused at first because it was a 5month old malt x and I have never in 14years of grooming seen such a young dog be that aggressive, really caught me off guard.

Turned out one owner had been pinning the dog down while the other pulled out it's knots (this had been going on since the brought it home), left the poor thing terrified of brushes, combs, scissors etc.

I think this guy is getting a bit of an attitude as he is now an adult. All be it not entire. He is very much treated like a baby and It would not suprise me if the owners give up the moment he objects. (not the thing to do).

I have been grooming him every month for 2 years. He is in great condition I wish everyone looked after these guys the same way.

I think he is just getting a bit cocky or something has happened around his back end at some point.

Also, I know it is really hard to read between the lines when someone types up something on here. I take great pride in the way my dogs are looked after and they are all treated like my own. (thats why it is so hard to get someone to work for me lol) In saying that I won't take crap from them either. You can usually tell the ones that get away with giving it to their owners. They are just like kids, they try it on their parents and know they won't get away with it on us. (although some will try and i know one day I might come off second best lol)

I think this guy is getting a bit of an attitude as he is now an adult. All be it not entire. He is very much treated like a baby and It would not suprise me if the owners give up the moment he objects. (not the thing to do).

I have been grooming him every month for 2 years. He is in great condition I wish everyone looked after these guys the same way.

I think he is just getting a bit cocky or something has happened around his back end at some point.

Also, I know it is really hard to read between the lines when someone types up something on here. I take great pride in the way my dogs are looked after and they are all treated like my own. (thats why it is so hard to get someone to work for me lol) In saying that I won't take crap from them either. You can usually tell the ones that get away with giving it to their owners. They are just like kids, they try it on their parents and know they won't get away with it on us. (although some will try and i know one day I might come off second best lol)

I like the sound of you, fair but firm. :eek: What state are you in?

maybe ask the owners to show you how they groom,there could be something you see that you can help them work with.

It may be the way they hold,something they have done & not realized .Ask them ,ask if they have had any attitude issues.

He may have even been harassed on a walk.The only dog we groomed that turned over the top in a short space was mauled at the park,dog turned totally nutty being groomed.Just had a total fear of being touched .

Although as i say whilst you may not see an injury a pulled muscle or similiar can really make a dog react

maybe ask the owners to show you how they groom,there could be something you see that you can help them work with.

It may be the way they hold,something they have done & not realized .Ask them ,ask if they have had any attitude issues.

He may have even been harassed on a walk.The only dog we groomed that turned over the top in a short space was mauled at the park,dog turned totally nutty being groomed.Just had a total fear of being touched .

Although as i say whilst you may not see an injury a pulled muscle or similiar can really make a dog react

You may be right settrlvr, something may have happened. who knows.

I did ask them at the time how is he with them grooming him. The response was "He is our baby and he is just great" . What does that tell you? lol

I don't know what I'd do.

I don't do dogs who misbehave anymore, I tell the owner the dog needs to go somewhere else and give them contact numbers of other nearby groomers. I have two Malts who have been blacklisted from all other salons in the surrounding 4 councils, I'm happy to do them as the owner is so lovely, but that's it.

I did my first damage ever to a tiny toy Poodle a couple of months ago and I was gutted. I cut her tail quite badly it left me really shaken up as I've never stuffed up before. Thankfully the dog didn't suffer as her tail, I've since found out, has no feeling as it was broken as a pup. She was wagging it the whole time, my salon wall looked like a murder scene. It was the kind of client who I thought would have gone crazy but she came in and bandaged it with one of Grace's bandaids and left it at that. I had already called the vet to slot her in but the owner was very relaxed about it and didn't take her.

She's recommended me to three other people since :eek:

I don't know what I'd do.

I don't do dogs who misbehave anymore, I tell the owner the dog needs to go somewhere else and give them contact numbers of other nearby groomers. I have two Malts who have been blacklisted from all other salons in the surrounding 4 councils, I'm happy to do them as the owner is so lovely, but that's it.

I did my first damage ever to a tiny toy Poodle a couple of months ago and I was gutted. I cut her tail quite badly it left me really shaken up as I've never stuffed up before. Thankfully the dog didn't suffer as her tail, I've since found out, has no feeling as it was broken as a pup. She was wagging it the whole time, my salon wall looked like a murder scene. It was the kind of client who I thought would have gone crazy but she came in and bandaged it with one of Grace's bandaids and left it at that. I had already called the vet to slot her in but the owner was very relaxed about it and didn't take her.

She's recommended me to three other people since :eek:

I was gutted too. Its not a good feeling. The only other time for me was a tail as well. It was a friends malt x and I snipped the tip of the tail straight off. Did not have hold of the end properly. :rolleyes:

I wrapped it in vet wrap straight away and we took him to the vet and he had surgery. They had to take more off :cheer: I felt awful. I paid for the vet bill (obviously), then I packed a card and gift for the family to apologise. Wine for Mum and Dad, chocolates for the kids and treats for the dog when he came home !!!

I think we need to realise you can take all the care in the world but sometimes something is going to happen.(mind you in saying that I know my mind was on other things the day I snipped the tail) We are working on moving targets and things will happen.

He still loves me though.