Lens Filters

redangel

Hello all. Was out there taking pics of my very excitable furchild and she did her upmost to headbutt and/or lick the camera. Just a question..would I benefit from lens filter as a safeguard? Does it affect the quality of the photo in respect of the lens it protects? If yes uv or polarised? If not can you explain why??? :)

Hello all. Was out there taking pics of my very excitable furchild and she did her upmost to headbutt and/or lick the camera. Just a question..would I benefit from lens filter as a safeguard? Does it affect the quality of the photo in respect of the lens it protects? If yes uv or polarised? If not can you explain why??? :)

They do help protect lenses.

Yes, it will affect quality to a greater or lesser degree, depending on the quality of the filter.

Most people who use filters to protect will use a UV filter.

Why does it effect quality? Because no filter is lets light though without any impact whatsoever.

Many would say that with a decent UV filter, you won't notice a difference in quality.

Arent polarising filters the ones that turn and produce different effects? If so then you only need these very expensive filters if you are looking for the particular visual effect not as protection for your lens. You use UV or skylight filters for that.

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I am going to invest in uv filters. I have priced hoya filters, they are approx 25.00. Is that a "cheap" version or suitable quality. Since the near miss with camera vs furchild I would be happier with a filter protectying the glass.

I have always used hoya - have not had a problem with 'image quality'

Remember size of lens & filter makes a diffeence in price my huge len needing a 70mm size cost around $70 but the smaller one was a LOT less.

Edited by rubiton

Thanks all for the input. Looks like I am going to invest in uv filters. I have priced hoya filters, they are approx 25.00. Is that a "cheap" version or suitable quality. Since the near miss with camera vs furchild I would be happier with a filter protectying the glass.

From memory there are various types of Hoya filters. Some better than others. You get what you pay for.

I have a hoya fitted to my 70-200 lens but I have taken it off to see if there is a reduction in quality with it on. Then I get paranoid I will get a scratch on this lens. I'm not the most gentle person with my camera equipment. I tend to drop lens caps and have dropped a filter before, so clumsy!

Hmmmm wait till you get a sticky label on your lens filter after shoving your camera back into the bag without lens cap

especially when it was on a 80-400 :rofl: shit im glad I had it on though but bye bye lens filter.

Wow. Thats a convincing arguement for lens filters. Thought those things could only happen to me. My history with mobile phones is bad enough...but there aint such thing as a prepaid lens plan :thumbsup:

True and youd be far more game to try the 'goo remover' on a filter and wash off than trying it firstup on an expensive lens.

(goo remover is brilliant to get goo off things like scissors - be worth trying ona filter if the filter was to be thrown out anyway).

However best to keep sticky labels well away from camera bags!