Using Toys To Train

Please could anyone suggest some books, articles or DVD's to show me how to use toys as a reward for training. Our Lakeland is not particularly food motivated and I almost feel like I'm force-feeding her during training sometimes. So I'm wondering if I should try a different approach and use her love of toys as a reward.

I know it's probably really obvious to all you experienced people but I'm just not sure how to start :)

Thanks in advance

I would definitely use toys if she likes them :)

For a start - does she like to tug or to chase a ball?

There is a thread on training in drive which may be of some interest.

There are a few ways you can train with toys.

On food - what treats are you using? Are they really yummy things like cheese, cooked chicken, cabanossi? When are you training in relation to when she is fed? Hungry dogs work better for food. And how much are you feeding her?

On food - what treats are you using? Are they really yummy things like cheese, cooked chicken, cabanossi? When are you training in relation to when she is fed? Hungry dogs work better for food. And how much are you feeding her?

I have tried everything under the sun (except lambs fry, still working up to that one!). Something that interests her one day is totally ignored the next. I never feed her before training and have even reduced her dinner the evening before. She is definately not overfed, she is 10 months old and is only really interested in eating in the evening - I aim to feed her 4% of her body weight per day.

We have owned a Lakeland before and he was avery fussy eater, I never had to worry about him eating anything toxic!

rewarding a dog doesnt mean just food, you need to find out what your dog loves, it could be pats, hugs, kisses, toys, fetching, tugging, rolling, chasing birds, swimming, splashing, digging. All of these can be used as a way to reward. (i would advise against digging as a reward though as then you will have a moon yard)

find what your dog loves most when it comes to playing/attention and then use that as the reward

rewarding a dog doesnt mean just food, you need to find out what your dog loves, it could be pats, hugs, kisses, toys, fetching, tugging, rolling, chasing birds, swimming, splashing, digging. All of these can be used as a way to reward. (i would advise against digging as a reward though as then you will have a moon yard)

find what your dog loves most when it comes to playing/attention and then use that as the reward

I've found that when I attend obedience training it is so focused on food rewards (which is great if you have a lab or a beagle) that no-one really suggests anything else and I'm not sure how to use the toy as a reward rather than just general play.

I've found that when I attend obedience training it is so focused on food rewards (which is great if you have a lab or a beagle) that no-one really suggests anything else and I'm not sure how to use the toy as a reward rather than just general play.

Usually that is because it is what most people connect with (as the majority of dogs *are* food motivated) and it is what is easiest to explain :eek:. Trainers at volunteer clubs also haven't really explored into anything past 'what works for their dog'

Just some thoughts :)

I notice you are from Perth - not sure what club you train at but there are plenty of people who train over there using both food and toys. The agility clubs in particular are big on the use of toy rewards. I have had to work at using toys with my younger BC - now 9 months as she too isn't super keen on the use of food and can be pretty take it or leave it. She doesn't always eat her tea. I do use food occasionally now but quickly try and progress to using toys rather than food.

Edited by ness

Flyball ppl use a tug or throw another ball for their dogs when they return. The only reason I can see that food is so popular is that it is instantanious. You can move onto the next thing quickly, while using toys or a ball toss, you have to wait until the dog returns & it's not ideal in a class situation.

the same way you use food. You act enthusiastically and then have a short game. Some dogs get really motivated with toys and tug games even for just a few seconds.

And the way to use toys is exactly the way you would use food! When you want to reward the dog you just toss him the toy or whatever instead of the treat. Works the same way! :o Oh and if you read any things about clicker training they usually say food but you can use a toy just as easily.