7 Week Old Pomeranian

vMJv

Stewie will have to be better than that.

It is up to YOU what Stewie will be like :)

if you feed him bones and meat and processed food, or whatever he is on.... in his bowl, at a certain time... then, that is that,where and when he eats ! :) or he goes hungry til next meal time :)

Hopefully his breeder gave you good dietary advice :laugh:

Don't spoil him! little dogs are very good at training their owners ! LOL :o

That is what I have done after reading the threads prior to Stewie coming to our home. I have fed him at fixed time and once he refused to eat further, I take it away from him. He has been eating decently last night and this morning when I fed him. I made sure I got him to sit and say "food" to him few times before allowing him the food.

My old dog used to get all sorts of food. My mum will wrap sweet and sour pork/fried chicken, etc from our dinner (usually 1 piece as a treat) to bring home for our old dog when we dine out. It didn't do him any good when he reached old age as he had lots of health issues. So my husband and I have stamped our foot on trying not to feed him non-dog food. Vet has suggested rice and boiled chicken (no skin) if Stewie's stools too wet. But we haven't had to resort to that yet.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Congratulations on your new puppy!!

You have been given lots of good advice here, I really can't add anything else, but I do 100% agree with crate training. I've raised 2 Australian terrier puppies within the last 2.5 yrs & the crate was a godsend. :laugh:

I also like the idea of a puppy pen, so your pup has safe confinement during the day, when you are too busy to totally supervise puppy. It comes in handy when your doing household chores or you just need a rest. Just make sure you put heaps of toys in there to keep puppy occupied.

Oh & the most important thing of all . Where's the Pics? :):o

Congratulations on your new puppy!!

You have been given lots of good advice here, I really can't add anything else, but I do 100% agree with crate training. I've raised 2 Australian terrier puppies within the last 2.5 yrs & the crate was a godsend. :birthday:

I also like the idea of a puppy pen, so your pup has safe confinement during the day, when you are too busy to totally supervise puppy. It comes in handy when your doing household chores or you just need a rest. Just make sure you put heaps of toys in there to keep puppy occupied.

Oh & the most important thing of all . Where's the Pics? :cheer::birthday:

I have some pictures but they are on my laptop. Will upload one when I get home. He's cute and fluffy but I've had feedback that he's probably not purebreed. I didn't buy from a breeder but found him on the Quokka. Hadn't had luck with breeders in WA. Sent emails to 3 of them (found from Canine Association WA online), none replied. When my husband called, he could only get through to one of them and was told that she hadn't had a pup for a while (the last one was 5 months ago) and not expecting one till maybe after April.

My old dog was probably not a purebreed either but purebreed or not doesn't matter as much as a healthy dog to me.

Poms are also very dominant as a breed...

they will turn their nose up and demand venison, THEN when you feed him what he wants (usally what you are having) he wont eat it unless its out of your hands... or on the good china.\

THEN he wont eat, and youll tear your hair out trying to tempt him with good food.

SO from day 1, put his food down, and if he doesnt eat it, take it away, no normal pom will starve themselves, but given half a chance, they will train you to give them food which is bad for them, which is almost all human food.

Lots of bones and chew toys, but they tend to ignore the plastic ones and go for soft toys, keep an eye they are safe.

They are very easily trained, so you can start training now, use the word toilet when they go toilet and soon they pick up on what the word means and can go on command.

Hi there

There is heaps of fantastic info here - this is what I LOVE about DOL.

Just to let you know, I empathise it can be overwhelming and information overload so I wanted to share my experience.

My lab pup is now 11 weeks old - I know he's alot BIGGER than Stewie but we had the same crying problems when he was in the laundry, and also woke up to a laundry full of wee and poop ! We changed our tack and started to crate him - but we get up in the night to let him out. After 10 days of doing this, we still have him outside our room so he can 'see' us and he's quiet as a mouse - but we will slowly move him back towards the laundry (still in the crate).

We will hopefully have a quiet pup and a clean laundry very soon ! His toileting is also improving fantasically.

But it's taken time and alot of patience - he's still got such a long way to go on alot of things but I am sure you will see an improvement if you employ some of the great advice here.

Good luck - Boz had his first day of puppy school on Saturday and it was fantastic !!!! :birthday:

post-27126-1231737043_thumb.jpg

My old dog was probably not a purebreed either but purebreed or not doesn't matter as much as a healthy dog to me.

Unfortunately, considering your pup is from an unethical, unregistered breeder, there is actually an increased risk of health issues.

Registered, ethical breeders perform specific health testing on their breeding dogs to minimise the risk of any genetic health issues cropping up. This won't have happened with the person who produced your pup. In addition, registered, ethical breeders will provide ongoing support if anything does happen. Again, you will miss out on this.

Hi there

Just to let you know, I empathise it can be overwhelming and information overload so I wanted to share my experience.

My lab pup is now 11 weeks old - I know he's alot BIGGER than Stewie but we had the same crying problems when he was in the laundry, and also woke up to a laundry full of wee and poop ! We changed our tack and started to crate him - but we get up in the night to let him out. After 10 days of doing this, we still have him outside our room so he can 'see' us and he's quiet as a mouse - but we will slowly move him back towards the laundry (still in the crate).

We will hopefully have a quiet pup and a clean laundry very soon ! His toileting is also improving fantasically.

But it's taken time and alot of patience - he's still got such a long way to go on alot of things but I am sure you will see an improvement if you employ some of the great advice here.

Good luck - Boz had his first day of puppy school on Saturday and it was fantastic !!!! :birthday:

Thanks for sharing the experience and the picture!

I showed my husband all the posts and he commented that everyone is so helpful and had so much information to share we us. And he said we will make things work for Stewie, no problems!

He also sent me some pictures he had on facebook. :birthday:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Unfortunately, considering your pup is from an unethical, unregistered breeder, there is actually an increased risk of health issues.

Registered, ethical breeders perform specific health testing on their breeding dogs to minimise the risk of any genetic health issues cropping up. This won't have happened with the person who produced your pup. In addition, registered, ethical breeders will provide ongoing support if anything does happen. Again, you will miss out on this.

Sigh. Well...now we already have him, we just have to make sure to send him straight to the vet when we find something unusual with him. Definitely going to renew his Wellness Plan next year for the free consultations for a peace of mind that I can bring him in anytime I want for consultations.

Hi there

Good luck - Boz had his first day of puppy school on Saturday and it was fantastic !!!! :party:

Thanks for sharing the experience and the picture!

I showed my husband all the posts and he commented that everyone is so helpful and had so much information to share we us. And he said we will make things work for Stewie, no problems!

He also sent me some pictures he had on facebook. :party:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Oooh! he's a little cutie !!! :birthday::birthday::cheer:

Sorry, i do apologise, i didnt see you had put that you already had feedback he might not be pure.

he is cute, though.

Just saw this post before I replied your PM. :birthday: It's ok. I do know that he might not be pure since he's not from registered breeder.

Boz looks like he had a ball! Some big pups there at pre-school!

Yes, there was a huge mastiff and a lab a week older than boz but bigger. The one that really came out his shell is the little 'puggle' (had not heard of that breed before) who was the smallest --- what a cutie ! Little border pup was small also for his breed. It's just a joy watching them - couple more pics if you'll indulge me !!!

post-27126-1231742277_thumb.jpg

post-27126-1231742381_thumb.jpg

Boz looks like he had a ball! Some big pups there at pre-school!

Yes, there was a huge mastiff and a lab a week older than boz but bigger. The one that really came out his shell is the little 'puggle' (had not heard of that breed before) who was the smallest --- what a cutie ! Little border pup was small also for his breed. It's just a joy watching them - couple more pics if you'll indulge me !!!

Looks like the pups really enjoy it. The vet I go to do pre-schools too and they have given us some brochures. Maybe I should consider it too...

'puggle' (had not heard of that breed before)

It's a made up name for a cross breed, Pug X Jack Russel.

Little Stewie is a cutie pie. I'm not very familiar with the breed but he does seem to have a dash of something equally as cute in there. He has very expressive eyes :birthday:

'puggle' (had not heard of that breed before)

It's a made up name for a cross breed, Pug X Jack Russel.

Little Stewie is a cutie pie. I'm not very familiar with the breed but he does seem to have a dash of something equally as cute in there. He has very expressive eyes :birthday:

Stewie resembles my old dog a little...especially the side view. Maybe mix a little chihuahua or papillon? How does chihuahua x pomeranian look like? I've seen ads for chi x pom, but I have no idea how they will look like when grown up.