7 Week Old Pomeranian

vMJv

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another point - a 7 week old puppy (or any young puppy for that matter - even at 5 months I don't) should not be walked for exercise. Exercise should be free exercise which means some play time in the home or backyard - it should not be 'forced exercise'. At 7 weeks old and such a small breed I would have thought 10 mins at a time would be more than enough but am open to correction on that from small breed owner.

Have you had confirmation that he had his vaccination at 6 weeks?

crating is the way to go definately.

Can I ask why you chose a pomeranian? Was it size or the fact they are a very human orientated breed?

Poms want to be with you, they are a toy companion breed and you are pushing it away so it is confused. What is wrong with the crate being in the bedroom with you? Its giving the dog some comfort as well since it has been taken away early and is trying to cope at an age where it is not ready to.

If you dont want a dog that is with you most of the time then reconsider the pom. Be very careful as well because poms are delicate and if it is jumping up and down it can break a bone especially at this age. They should not be allowed to jump across barriers or up./down furniture for their own sake.

It could also be whining because it doesnt understand where to toilet and at 7 weeks it cannot hold on for a few hours. Maybe train it to a litter box with paper based cat litter in it? add a tissue with some wee on it to the litter box and encourage it to go there at night.

we bring him for walks in the park. We tried to get him to toilet but he doesn't seem to want to pee/poo. Only poo once yesterday (while we weren't looking and preparing dinner) and didn't pee at all during the day. Also, he seems scared of poles which has been marked by other dogs when we take him for his walk (was hoping he would pee since he didn't do so for the whole day)...he refused to go near the pole and would wimp when we tried to get him close.

As said... he has NO protection from disease :laugh:

he is way too small to even think about peeing on poles yet.

he smells BIG mature dog pee on poles.. and reacts accordingly :)

If you are not noticing him pee during the day.. then he is either peeing somewhere inside where you can't see... or he is dehydrated or ill and needs to see a vet urgently.

some housetraining info :o

Another point - a 7 week old puppy (or any young puppy for that matter - even at 5 months I don't) should not be walked for exercise. Exercise should be free exercise which means some play time in the home or backyard - it should not be 'forced exercise'. At 7 weeks old and such a small breed I would have thought 10 mins at a time would be more than enough but am open to correction on that from small breed owner.

Have you had confirmation that he had his vaccination at 6 weeks?

He has had his 6 weeks vaccination. We have the vet card and the next vaccination date on it as well.

crating is the way to go definately.

Can I ask why you chose a pomeranian? Was it size or the fact they are a very human orientated breed?

Poms want to be with you, they are a toy companion breed and you are pushing it away so it is confused. What is wrong with the crate being in the bedroom with you? Its giving the dog some comfort as well since it has been taken away early and is trying to cope at an age where it is not ready to.

If you dont want a dog that is with you most of the time then reconsider the pom. Be very careful as well because poms are delicate and if it is jumping up and down it can break a bone especially at this age. They should not be allowed to jump across barriers or up./down furniture for their own sake.

It could also be whining because it doesnt understand where to toilet and at 7 weeks it cannot hold on for a few hours. Maybe train it to a litter box with paper based cat litter in it? add a tissue with some wee on it to the litter box and encourage it to go there at night.

My old dog was a long hair chiwawa (though he looks more like a papillon) and I wanted a toy companion breed.

My husband was very concerned about him jumping over the barriers too once realised he is attempting to do so the whole night. :laugh:

I will give everything a think through and consider trying some of the suggestions like a crate.

As said... he has NO protection from disease :laugh:

he is way too small to even think about peeing on poles yet.

he smells BIG mature dog pee on poles.. and reacts accordingly :)

If you are not noticing him pee during the day.. then he is either peeing somewhere inside where you can't see... or he is dehydrated or ill and needs to see a vet urgently.

some housetraining info :o

Thanks for the information.

We have brought him to a vet on Sat to give him his first check up to make sure everything was ok and got him set up on a Wellness Plan with the vet and got all his 12 flea treatments and worming covered, as well as free consultations. I will definitely bring him in to a vet if he's unwell.

I breed and show poms.

Firstly, it is illegal in NZ to sell a pup younger than 8 weeks, i personally do not let mine go until 10 weeks.

The dog has been bred to be close to humans, its his lifes ambition, to be close to you, and you lock him away in a huge place, for hours and hours on end, with no toilet breaks, id moan too! lol

Definitely crate, and you will NEED to get up once or twice a night to toilet him.Just put on lead, take outside, praise when hes done and put him back, no playing, no growling, no talking, but no nonsense.

Within a week or so you wil notice he will settle down a lot more.

Please dont take him for walks, what you are doing is very dangerous, he would only weigh around 1kg, socialization is important, but the wong socialization is not what you want.

please listen to all the above posters, we only have the pups best interest in mind.

I take all my dogs outside to toilet every 2 hours, thier bladder is about the size of a walnut at that age, cant hold on all night.

I do not know of any reputable breeder who would let a pup go at 7 weeks. Do research about the breed as well.

they are known to be vocal but they do not have to be. training is the key. Mine bark when someone calls in, and a stray cat comes into the section, but thats about it. Seeing as they are smaller than the cats, they cant do much, lol.

Are you in Australia?

I just notice you say "will bring him to the vet" - not "take him to the vet" :laugh:

I am in Australia but I am not Australian. :o I'm Singaporean but Australian Pr living here for more than 5 yrs.

Putting him in a crate in our room had come to my mind before, but we do not want him in our bedroom in the long run. Would it be a problem if we put him outside later on? We are just afraid it'll be habitual to sleep in our room and it'll be harder later on to put him where we would like him to be. :laugh:

It *shouldn't* be a problem. All my puppies start off sleeping with me until they can sleep through the night without toileting and are more confident to be able to sleep independently without crying. A 7wo old pup should really be sleeping with you, they are too young to be away from Mum and litter mates at this age :o

I breed and show poms.

Firstly, it is illegal in NZ to sell a pup younger than 8 weeks, i personally do not let mine go until 10 weeks.

The dog has been bred to be close to humans, its his lifes ambition, to be close to you, and you lock him away in a huge place, for hours and hours on end, with no toilet breaks, id moan too! lol

Definitely crate, and you will NEED to get up once or twice a night to toilet him.Just put on lead, take outside, praise when hes done and put him back, no playing, no growling, no talking, but no nonsense.

Within a week or so you wil notice he will settle down a lot more.

Please dont take him for walks, what you are doing is very dangerous, he would only weigh around 1kg, socialization is important, but the wong socialization is not what you want.

please listen to all the above posters, we only have the pups best interest in mind.

I take all my dogs outside to toilet every 2 hours, thier bladder is about the size of a walnut at that age, cant hold on all night.

I do not know of any reputable breeder who would let a pup go at 7 weeks. Do research about the breed as well.

they are known to be vocal but they do not have to be. training is the key. Mine bark when someone calls in, and a stray cat comes into the section, but thats about it. Seeing as they are smaller than the cats, they cant do much, lol.

Thanks for your kind advise. I will do as suggested and perserve with his toileting.

I have only brought him out once for about 10-15 mins and will definitely not do so until I check with vet on his next vaccination on when it's appropriate to do so for Stewie.

Putting him in a crate in our room had come to my mind before, but we do not want him in our bedroom in the long run. Would it be a problem if we put him outside later on? We are just afraid it'll be habitual to sleep in our room and it'll be harder later on to put him where we would like him to be. :laugh:

It *shouldn't* be a problem. All my puppies start off sleeping with me until they can sleep through the night without toileting and are more confident to be able to sleep independently without crying. A 7wo old pup should really be sleeping with you, they are too young to be away from Mum and litter mates at this age :o

Thanks. It's comforting to know that it's possible to sleep him elsewhere should we want to in future. I've spoken to my husband and he's in for the crating and setting him in our bedroom for the time being. Also, his parents will be coming soon for a visit and it will be good to have someone help look after Stewie and toileting him during the day. :)

Aside from all of us being bossy :laugh: Stewie is certainly lucky to have you as an owner. It's lovely when people want to do the right thing by their new pups. I hope he gives you many years of love and joy like your Chihuahua did. :o

Aside from all of us being bossy :laugh: Stewie is certainly lucky to have you as an owner. It's lovely when people want to do the right thing by their new pups. I hope he gives you many years of love and joy like your Chihuahua did. :)

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Both me and my husband feel like first time parents to a new born. :o And this morning both me and my husband were at our wits end and we had to come work (I'm an accountant and I have the auditors coming in soon, so I can't take leave). My husband was going to try to take time off work to go buy the crate and go home check on Stewie as we are worried about him.

I loved my old dog and was so sad that he passed away in singapore last yr of old age. I hadn't seen him for 3 yrs and he left before I could see him again. However, I don't wish Stewie to be as spoilt a brat as my old dog. I remember for the first few yrs we had my old dog, he won't even eat unless we mash his dog biscuits and feel him through our hands. Stewie will have to be better than that. :)

Stewie will have to be better than that.

It is up to YOU what Stewie will be like :)

if you feed him bones and meat and processed food, or whatever he is on.... in his bowl, at a certain time... then, that is that,where and when he eats ! :) or he goes hungry til next meal time :)

Hopefully his breeder gave you good dietary advice :laugh:

Don't spoil him! little dogs are very good at training their owners ! LOL :o