Broke Again

Loraine

It is now $310.00 later. :mad

I took Zedley to the vet for his first titer test YAY. Also had a blood draw for his thyroid (to see if the meds are at the right level), had his nails clipped, had an ear looked at, discussed his recent bad thunder horrors. Got 6 months of heartworm chewables, some drops for his ears, some pillls (5) for the thunder horrors. My, my these dogs do keep us poor :laugh:

Edited for spelling ;)

ETA Just got a call from the vet. Zedley's Thyroid is still too low so I have to double his Thyroxine, no wonder his skin is all greasy and smelly again :rofl:

Edited by Loraine

Yep, vets sure do know how to charge... I took our labrador in for a follow up examination due to his lameness in his hind leg, the vet prescribed more anti-inflammatory tablets and in the end I walked out with a bill of $60 for only a few minutes work.

Also why does it seem that the Vet is like a normal human doctor? You get there a few minutes before your appointment time and you are always called in around 10+ minutes later than your appointment time - no wonder they call it the "waiting room"

Sticks1977 :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue

Went with my mum to the vet the other day .. her 17 year old Burmese had an bite wound on his ball sack and blood taken for tyroid aswell. Plus meds for the bite wound, plus bursting the sore and much more.

Vet suggests and my mum accepts.

Geeze my mum is a sucker :laugh:

Also why does it seem that the Vet is like a normal human doctor? You get there a few minutes before your appointment time and you are always called in around 10+ minutes later than your appointment time - no wonder they call it the "waiting room"

Would you be complaining if it was your animal that the vet was taking an extra amount of time to examine or urgently needed attending to in its hospital cage??

I get a little bored of people bagging out vets here for charges. If people think their vet overcharges or overservices then change vets.

Edited to add not aimed at OP as I don't read her post that way!

Edited by Danois

Would you be complaining if it was your animal that the vet was taking an extra amount of time to examine or urgently needed attending to in its hospital cage??

I get a little bored of people bagging out vets here for charges. If people think their vet overcharges or overservices then change vets.

I was not bagging out my vet, merely commenting on the costs involved in keeping our furry friends healthy. I have no problem with having to pay a vet, I do have a problem having to wait way past the time I was given to attend an appointment and I can see them all chatting and messing about not caring for another sick animal :laugh:

My boy became really sick in November for just over a week .. it ended up costing us just under $4,600!!!

The first 4 hours in emergency cost us $800 and they didn't even know what was wrong ... and then 2 days in ICU and then surgery and hospitalisation ...

I was the one going to the hospital at all hours of the day and night to do everything for them (he hated all the staff and vets). They were charging $100 per day for him to sit in a big cage ... I was feeding him, walking him, medicating him, changing his pee bags and bedding etc.

And then I get a phone call to take him home for the weekend because they couldn't deal with him!!!

Got 6 months of heartworm chewables, some pillls (5) for the thunder horrors. My, my these dogs do keep us poor :confused:

You would have saved a fair bit of money if you bought the heartworm meds online and gotten the vet to write out a prescription for the pills and got them at your local chemist.

Got 6 months of heartworm chewables, some pillls (5) for the thunder horrors. My, my these dogs do keep us poor :confused:

You would have saved a fair bit of money if you bought the heartworm meds online and gotten the vet to write out a prescription for the pills and got them at your local chemist.

As suggested, do have a bit of an online search for heartworm meds... they are substatially cheaper online (even factoring postage!)

I know what you mean tho... going to the vet is more expensive the going to the Doctor! However, I've not seen many (any!) vets driving around in fancy cars and living in massive mansions (unlike quite a few human doctors), so I'm guessing that their own running costs must be very high; which they would have to pass onto the customer.

It is now $310.00 later. :)

I took Zedley to the vet for his first titer test YAY. Also had a blood draw for his thyroid (to see if the meds are at the right level), had his nails clipped, had an ear looked at, discussed his recent bad thunder horrors. Got 6 months of heartworm chewables, some drops for his ears, some pillls (5) for the thunder horrors. My, my these dogs do keep us poor :confused:

Edited for spelling :(

I feel a bit better about my vet bills since my girlfriend told me she had a $14,000 vet bill for her horse (AND he died :rofl: ) ;) :

A suggestion - clip his nails yourself, it is not too hard to do. You can buy a small pair of nail clippers at the pet shop. Will save you $10 -20 which is a rip off anyway.

Buy a DAP for his "thunder horrors" and turn it on. I have found that by the time you give them a Zanax/valium and it works, the storm has passed. Heartworm tablets are much cheaper online/petshop, at the vets you will pay premium price. :thumbsup:

Edited by schnauzer

I think vet charges are quite reasonable.

I was not bagging out my vet, merely commenting on the costs involved in keeping our furry friends healthy. I have no problem with having to pay a vet, I do have a problem having to wait way past the time I was given to attend an appointment and I can see them all chatting and messing about not caring for another sick animal :confused:

I have never once been in a vet surgery and seen this happen. Even though I've had to wait a fair bit, I've never seen any vet or staff mucking about. When my last dog was sick, he couldn't swallow the tablets so I took him into the surgery each day for an injection. They even came in on Sunday when they were closed so he could have his injection. I was never charged for the visit nor for the injections as I'd already paid for the tablets. My previous dog, when he was diagnosed with cancer, they gave us a sitting at a pet photographer so we could get some good photos of him.

Perhaps you should change vets if you're that unhappy.

Since i have started working at a vet clinic, I will NEVER quibble about how much they charge again, they put soooo much work into each case, often spending hours of their own time researching different problems.

If they don't know something they make every effort to find the best possible solution.

I already do buy some products on line, but needed a refresher today on Heartworm stuff, until now I have had Zedley have the annual shot. As I am becoming 'cleaner and greener' :confused: I decided as I was titer testing and not vaccinating that I would try and lessen the load on my boy's system by worming once a month (used to do that with my mini poodle RIP). Now I know again what I need to do I will be ordering online in the future - BUT thank you all for the suggestion.

To make things a little more clear - I have no problem with what the vet charges... I find with any medical procedures whether it be for animal or human that it always costs some dollars - but that is the same with anything in life.

And I am also sure that if I thought my vet was over charging or over-servicing my needs that I would have already changed long before I took Fraser to the vet earlier in the week. My original message was in reply to the OP as judging by the thread title and her message - he/she was a little frustrated.

Regardless of the $ amount spent on vet bills it would never bother me as the amount spent on their health pales in significance to the huge bucketloads of joy and memories that your pet(s) give you throughout years of their life.

My apologies if I have offended anyone - I just threw my 2 cents in!

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Wish I was as understanding as you Sheridan...

3 puppy vaccs and ultrasound. $259.80. (including the so called 10% off for breeders rates)

Don't know about you - but to me that is not what I would call reasonable....

3 puppy vaccs and ultrasound. $259.80. (including the so called 10% off for breeders rates)

Sorry, but that sounds very reasonable to get 3 vacc's and check ups and an ultrasound for that price. I don't know any of our referrral vets who charge less than $250-300 for an ultrasound alone.

Vet is one of, if not the, lowest paid professions. They also have one of the highest rates of suicide due to such a high level of stress.

Maybe people should stop complaining about prices and be thankful that we have access to such a high level of vet care and diagnostic equipment for our pets. If you don't like the prices, go to uni and do the courses yourself. Or don't have pets. Simple.

Edited by stormie

I'd call that very reasonable. You're getting an ultrasound, which costs a fair whack of money on its own, and three (not one but three) vaccinations? Don't have puppies then.

It is now $310.00 later. :rofl:

I took Zedley to the vet for his first titer test YAY. Also had a blood draw for his thyroid (to see if the meds are at the right level), had his nails clipped, had an ear looked at, discussed his recent bad thunder horrors. Got 6 months of heartworm chewables, some drops for his ears, some pillls (5) for the thunder horrors. My, my these dogs do keep us poor :thumbsup:

Edited for spelling :rofl:

I feel a bit better about my vet bills since my girlfriend told me she had a $14,000 vet bill for her horse (AND he died :) ) :laugh: :

A suggestion - clip his nails yourself, it is not too hard to do. You can buy a small pair of nail clippers at the pet shop. Will save you $10 -20 which is a rip off anyway.

Buy a DAP for his "thunder horrors" and turn it on. I have found that by the time you give them a Zanax/valium and it works, the storm has passed. Heartworm tablets are much cheaper online/petshop, at the vets you will pay premium price. :D

That is so horrible that your friends horse cost so much and still died :rofl: Zedley's nails are really tough and the vet needs two hands to close the clippers over his nails. I have broken a couple of expensive ones and I try to use the dremel on him before they get too long. This dog walks on pavements for at least 30 mins each day, most of my yard is paved also. His nails grow at a rate of knots (like every 6 weeks they have gone from a clipped 1/2 inch to a full 1 inch long :) ) I've tried the DAP and it has no effect on the worry wort :thumbsup: I usually buy his meds over the net, but I have not had h/w stuff for some years and needed to see what this dog needs. In the future I will be ordering over the web. Thanks for the input.

To make things a little more clear - I have no problem with what the vet charges... I find with any medical procedures whether it be for animal or human that it always costs some dollars - but that is the same with anything in life.

And I am also sure that if I thought my vet was over charging or over-servicing my needs that I would have already changed long before I took Fraser to the vet earlier in the week. My original message was in reply to the OP as judging by the thread title and her message - he/she was a little frustrated.

Regardless of the $ amount spent on vet bills it would never bother me as the amount spent on their health pales in significance to the huge bucketloads of joy and memories that your pet(s) give you throughout years of their life.

My apologies if I have offended anyone - I just threw my 2 cents in!

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

I appreciate all inputs. I guess I should be more careful with my wording and use of emoticons. I actually thought I was being factual bur light-hearted (I need a funny check :thumbsup: ) I did not take offence at anything you have said.